C4 Forums | Control4

Worthwhile Differences between EA5-V2 and EA5-V1?

WhyPhy

3 hours ago, RyanE said:

That person should no longer work for the company, regardless of whether their information is accurate or not.

RyanE

Wowza. It wasn’t something that seemed guarded or secret...although other things they’ve shared are. Apologies and I’ll just pretend everything I hear is top secret. I sincerely didn’t realize it was “secret”.

2 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

Wowza. It wasn’t something that seemed guarded or secret...although other things they’ve shared are. Apologies and I’ll just pretend everything I hear is top secret. I sincerely didn’t realize it was “secret”.

Tell Marty to keep quiet or he'll have to fire himself!

22 minutes ago, AVNeeds said:
37 minutes ago, Neo1738 said:

Comparatively I would say it is. Compared to EAs, CAs, or other smart home control hubs. 

Well. It is an improvement. Savants top end CPU is a Mac Pro so... 

True. 

It would be easy for Control4 to just release a VM and let customers buy a license Key. The one could run it on an Epcy with 2GB Ram if anyone wanted 😂

40 minutes ago, AVNeeds said:

You mad?

Yes I am super angry.  There is smoke coming out of my ears

Never understood why people who do not like a product hang out in their forums and bash it.  It is like they have nothing better to do in their life.  Like I am not a fan of EDM - am I hanging out in EDM forums comparing their latest stars to my favorite musicians in folk and alt country music?  I do not drive a pick up truck, but I drive an SUV - do I hang out in Ford F150 forums telling people to go buy an SUV because they are better?  I dunno, I guess I figure people have a better use of their time - but maybe I gave you too much credit.

On 4/4/2021 at 11:23 AM, blub said:

Anyone's guess when we will likely see new controllers with more RAM and processing power? 

My EA3 is getting slow and I don't want to spent 3k on an EA5 which will be EOL within a year or so? 

Are you really hitting a RAM limit?  What does System Resources show?  Go into terminal and run the uptime command.  This will show you averages on the processor.  

I would bet your slowness is more related to a driver than the controller itself.   When did the slowness start?  Take a peek at the logs and see if you can find any errors that are being produced.  One memory leak or bad driver can really throw off a controller. 

9 hours ago, eggzlot said:

Yes I am super angry.  There is smoke coming out of my ears

Never understood why people who do not like a product hang out in their forums and bash it.  It is like they have nothing better to do in their life.  Like I am not a fan of EDM - am I hanging out in EDM forums comparing their latest stars to my favorite musicians in folk and alt country music?  I do not drive a pick up truck, but I drive an SUV - do I hang out in Ford F150 forums telling people to go buy an SUV because they are better?  I dunno, I guess I figure people have a better use of their time - but maybe I gave you too much credit.

Just because Savant is better doesn't mean I haven't been dealing with Control4 professionally since 2006...

21 minutes ago, AVNeeds said:

Just because Savant is better doesn't mean I haven't been dealing with Control4 professionally since 2006...

So you are upset you can’t sell Savant?  

or if you sell both why sell the inferior c4 - isn’t that a disservice?  

9 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

So you are upset you can’t sell Savant?  

or if you sell both why sell the inferior c4 - isn’t that a disservice?  

The only one that seems upset is yourself. The conversation became about smart home hubs and the power of the comparison power of the CA10. Savant big systems run on Apple CPUs which are obviously much more substantial.  Go hug your Control4 comfort pillow. 

43 minutes ago, AVNeeds said:

The only one that seems upset is yourself. The conversation became about smart home hubs and the power of the comparison power of the CA10. Savant big systems run on Apple CPUs which are obviously much more substantial.  Go hug your Control4 comfort pillow. 

At some point it’s like taking a v8 hemi to the grocery store to pick up milk.  All because you can do something doesn’t mean it needed. 

where do I say c4 was the best or infallible?  

3 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

At some point it’s like taking a v8 hemi to the grocery store to pick up milk.  All because you can do something doesn’t mean it needed. 

where do I say c4 was the best or infallible?  

Where do I say I cant sell Savant? If you really think thats overkill you really don't know much about what smart homes can be. 

1 hour ago, AVNeeds said:

Where do I say I cant sell Savant? If you really think thats overkill you really don't know much about what smart homes can be. 

You didn’t state it. But then again you haven’t really answered any question directly.  So I’ll just stop writing to you because it’s pointless and at this point it’s a disservice to this thread w major thread drift.  My time is better served washing my dishes and taking out the trash.

feel free to PM me or start a new thread about savants ability over c4 so others (not me) can participate 

Well just from a technical point of view it is correct that savants controllers are much more powerful than the ones from Control4 - since Apple doesn't have a good track record when it comes to quality of their hardware and customer service (GPU issues, flexing cases etc.. "your holding it wrong" .), so using Apple is not directly an indication of high quality HW.... 

20 hours ago, blub said:

Well just from a technical point of view it is correct that savants controllers are much more powerful than the ones from Control4 - since Apple doesn't have a good track record when it comes to quality of their hardware and customer service (GPU issues, flexing cases etc.. "your holding it wrong" .), so using Apple is not directly an indication of high quality HW.... 

Well it would be Savant technical support...not apple.... and if you think they have hardware failures... especially anything comparably close to the amount of failed/repaired HC/EA controllers...thats on you. Anyone who states Apple doesn't have a good track record with it comes to hardware is completely wrong. 

On 4/6/2021 at 6:17 PM, AVNeeds said:

No the conversation was about comparing different C4 branded controllers - YOU decided you wanted to throw in Savant.

YOUR opinion on Savant is your own - and you're free to have it, and even out it here (though I don't see the use of it), but:

1 hour ago, AVNeeds said:

and if you think they have hardware failures... especially anything comparably close to the amount of failed/repaired HC/EA controllers...thats on you

Is not fact at all, and the opposite of my own experience and:

On 4/6/2021 at 5:46 PM, AVNeeds said:

Just because Savant is better

Is pure opinion. I'd say it's different for a different audience (and a more limited one - and I don't mean that in a 'money' kind of way), not better or worse as such.

On 4/6/2021 at 6:17 PM, AVNeeds said:

Go hug your Control4 comfort pillow.

You go hug your Savant comfort pillow.

You started throwing in Savant on a Control4 oriented forum in a thread about choosing the appropriate Control4 Controller for a Control4 system, and going on about it's supposed 'superiority' - it's a free forum, but if you want to dish it out, then be willing to take it too, and not hide behind snobby sentences like that.

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

No the conversation was about comparing different C4 branded controllers - YOU decided you wanted to throw in Savant.

YOUR opinion on Savant is your own - and you're free to have it, and even out it here (though I don't see the use of it), but:

Is not fact at all, and the opposite of my own experience and:

Is pure opinion. I'd say it's different for a different audience (and a more limited one - and I don't mean that in a 'money' kind of way), not better or worse as such.

You go hug your Savant comfort pillow.

You started throwing in Savant on a Control4 oriented forum in a thread about choosing the appropriate Control4 Controller for a Control4 system, and going on about it's supposed 'superiority' - it's a free forum, but if you want to dish it out, then be willing to take it too, and not hide behind snobby sentences like that.

Superiority... you are exhausting. I said the CA10 isn't a beast and when rebutted I bought up what Savant large systems run on Macs. They also run on inexpensive linux processors for small/ "normal" systems. Theres a laundry list of features people complain about waiting from C4 that exist not only on Savant but in other major systems...as well as things on a much more advanced level of smart home in design and programming that C4 can not natively do or do at all. Honestly I don't care if you or anyone on a website believe me, I replace Control4 systems on a monthly basis and I do this stuff across all brands as much as anyone on here so it's up to whomever to ignore. This is a Control4 user forum. Some users might not light Control4. Some might want other options. There seems to be lots of general conversation about smart homes. I'm making Savant suggestions and sharing counter information based on someone who's not an end user or Control4 only dealer you think I can't take it?  Seems like quite a reaction from a few whenever these conversations come up. It's very easy to understand why I deal heavily with both. 

I changed my name just for you. 

Wow! How old are you @Control4Sucks... you changed your user name just for @Cyknight... I am sure he will be impressed...

Time for some maturity here... name calling / name changing is far from that!

As for Savant being better than Control4... thanks for bringing it up. Your posts sent me off searching the web on the pros and cons of each system and my conclusion after a limited investigation (based on reading 10 or 20 articles from what appear to be non-biased reviewers) is that they are both good systems with pros and cons but, if anything, Control4 is marginally ahead.

3 hours ago, Control4Sucks said:

Well it would be Savant technical support...not apple.... and if you think they have hardware failures... especially anything comparably close to the amount of failed/repaired HC/EA controllers...thats on you. Anyone who states Apple doesn't have a good track record with it comes to hardware is completely wrong

Did I say that Control4's HW is better? - I didn't. 

But seriously if u think Apple makes good HW than you are walking blind folded through life - they literally have one class action law suit after another devices failing one after another because of the same mistakes in different generations.. just the ones I remember from the back of my head:

Your holding it wrong

Improper cables in notebooks causing short circuits

Apple new butterfly keyboard where small particles made typing impossible - first they said there is no issue then Apple said you are using it in the wrong environment, then they offered exchanges for the keyboard in hundreds of  dollars and then after milking their customers and telling them their are all dumb and "using the keyboard wrong" they stop making that specific design.... Uhhhfff.... 

Graphics issues in Notebooks

IPhone throttling 2020 2021

Notebook cases that are advertised as "1 pice aluminum" but in reality are 2 glued parts where the CPU exhaust air from the CPU blows hot air against the glue that it dissolves and the case Fels apart - that is so horrifically dumd as a design it really hurts. Every 2nd grader knows better... 

Bendgate

And the list goes on and on..... I can't even find as many class action lawsuits from Lenovo, HP and Dell together in the last ten 10 years simply due to the fact that their products are designed much better. 

On top of that they milk every penny out of you their customers by quoting repair prices which are in no relation to the service they offer, remove features u need like USB ports to sell you overpriced hubs and make 3rd party hubs inoperable - but the 3rd party hubs work on all other 99,9% of HW..... 

Introducing a security chip so that one can't even repair a LED screen or on/off button - no one would by a car from GM or BMW if you can only get new tires and brakes or wipers at a BMW dealership 

Buying Apple is like getting taken hostage and getting the Stockholm syndrome  - you suddenly love the good looking baddy that just started to make your life hell 

6 hours ago, blub said:

Did I say that Control4's HW is better? - I didn't. 

But seriously if u think Apple makes good HW than you are walking blind folded through life - they literally have one class action law suit after another devices failing one after another because of the same mistakes in different generations.. just the ones I remember from the back of my head:

Your holding it wrong

Improper cables in notebooks causing short circuits

Apple new butterfly keyboard where small particles made typing impossible - first they said there is no issue then Apple said you are using it in the wrong environment, then they offered exchanges for the keyboard in hundreds of  dollars and then after milking their customers and telling them their are all dumb and "using the keyboard wrong" they stop making that specific design.... Uhhhfff.... 

Graphics issues in Notebooks

IPhone throttling 2020 2021

Notebook cases that are advertised as "1 pice aluminum" but in reality are 2 glued parts where the CPU exhaust air from the CPU blows hot air against the glue that it dissolves and the case Fels apart - that is so horrifically dumd as a design it really hurts. Every 2nd grader knows better... 

Bendgate

And the list goes on and on..... I can't even find as many class action lawsuits from Lenovo, HP and Dell together in the last ten 10 years simply due to the fact that their products are designed much better. 

On top of that they milk every penny out of you their customers by quoting repair prices which are in no relation to the service they offer, remove features u need like USB ports to sell you overpriced hubs and make 3rd party hubs inoperable - but the 3rd party hubs work on all other 99,9% of HW..... 

Introducing a security chip so that one can't even repair a LED screen or on/off button - no one would by a car from GM or BMW if you can only get new tires and brakes or wipers at a BMW dealership 

Buying Apple is like getting taken hostage and getting the Stockholm syndrome  - you suddenly love the good looking baddy that just started to make your life hell 

Your bias is embarrassing and you are losing your argument. I guess the rest of us will continue to keep buying such trash hardware.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.