C4 Forums | Control4

Need advice on 4K matrix

RodH

Hi, 

Im new to this.

I have a project with 5 TV's and 1 home cinema. 1 of the TV's has a Bose lifestyle 650 surround sound unit.

The client would like to share content between rooms, my question is do i need the audio downmixing version of the 6x6 4K matrix or not? (can someone please explain the difference)

My thoughts was i could just run the HDMI in the bose zone direct to the TV and then an optical down to the Bose player, and a HDMI direct to the Home Cinema receiver?

thanks in advance.

By the downmixing version, you mean the one with stereo outs? That's only really needed if you want to pump the audio through a distribution system to use stereo ceiling speakers (or similar) in the rooms, or somesuch similar setup.

Assuming your TVs are just using their own speakers, what you said sounds right. You will put the output of the matrix's "balun" into the cinema surround receiver and connect from their to the TV. So the matrix becomes an input to the AVR, the AVR takes care of the surround sound. The other TVs get "baluns" connected straight to HDMI1 (or whatever). I think if the TVs receive a 5.1 signal they'll just pare it down to stereo themselves, rather than causing any EDID problems...

3 hours ago, timbooo said:

By the downmixing version, you mean the one with stereo outs?

NO!!!!

There are three basic lines of switch from Control4/Leaf.

The 'L' series, the regular series and the 'D' series.

The Light series doesn't have audio out

The regular series DOES have audio out but all audio MUST be set to stereo/pcm for it to decode it

The Downmixing series can downmix all current audio encodings (DTS, Atmos, Prologic, etc) to stereo for the analogue outputs, but leaves the HDMI outputs using the encoding

3 hours ago, timbooo said:

I think if the TVs receive a 5.1 signal they'll just pare it down to stereo themselves, rather than causing any EDID problems...

Many if not most do, especially main brand units that aren't their cheapest/refurb options. Just keep in mind it is NOT impossible that they can't. Not to mention thta even if they can handle SOME of the encodings (ie prologict and DTS) that doesn't mean they can handle others (Atmos or DTS Master). EDID 'problems' should be very rare, but you could still 'lose those encodings elswhere in that scenario.

18 hours ago, RodH said:

do i need the audio downmixing version

That will depend on more information as more or less noted by timbooo.

Do you have speakers in the house through an amplifier that need stereo - do you have sources that do not HAVE stereo - do you (or in this case the client) care if the theatre room gets a stereo feed from the rack and samples it internally.

Mind you, getting the 'D' series is often well worth it, if not now then down the line, especially if there IS a distributed audio setup. Ease of setup of sources, plus not having to get external DACs or HDMI audio extractors (and deal with the extra wires and powersupplies) are often worth the extra cost.

Archived