C4 Forums | Control4

RK-1 Port Forwarding & Static Routes pages slow to load

slip.cougan

Next month my home internet is being upgraded to 400M fibre to the home.

In preparation for this I've just removed my old Draytek 2860 and replaced it with a simple Vigor 120 modem. I initially had a few issues trying to get the RK-1 to connect on PPPoE but eventually got that resolved and the current ADSL is working fine. Now admittedly when I had the 2860 in place my network had become a bit of a hotch-potch and I was handling all the port forwarding in that.

Now that I have a bit of time to sort the network out once and for all the RK-1 is now set up for the purpose it was designed for. All VLAN's are configured and generally everything works great.

Hopefully when my ISP turns up next month with their 'Pro-Active' installation team we should be able to swap out the 120 for the fibre modem, so I'm looking forward to some stunning internet. My ISP also supports 900M ftth so I have the bandwidth in the RK-1 to upgrade to that at a later stage should the need arise.

So I'm now migrating all my port forwarding to the RK-1, but this is proving to be really tedious. Each time I click on Port Forwarding/1:1 NAT or Static Routes in the ribbon I have to wait at the very least 4-5 minutes before the page appears. Worse still, when I click [Add New Item] I have to wait another 4-5 minutes before the UI inserts a new line. Even worse if I make a typo, it will also wait forever before informing me of such. All other pages load quickly.

Anyone else seeing this?

It's turned a 5 minute job into half a day.

Apart from that the RK-1 is performing really well, network is fast everything connects. Just a few small issues remain:

* My music is stored on a Synology NAS on VLAN-1. Initially I had my Sonos players on the AV-LAN (VLAN-3) and although they could play internet streams, they could not see my NAS music library. I've now moved the Sonos onto VLAN-1 for the time being until Sonos can get their act together and fully support UPnP.

* For some reason none of my PC's or Macs can connect to the Plex server running on the NAS, all mobile phones and TV's work fine. Simply can't get my head around that one.

Thanks for reading.

-s

Well I just found the source of the Plex issue.

NAS was on a static IP from previous install, I'd set up DHCP reservation on the RK-1 so I could see it from within the network.

Set the NAS to DHCP and it picked up the RK-1 default gateway and bingo.

Port forwarding is working and Plex is happy.

-s

Cyknight, thanks - I realise PF introduces a security risk. Unfortunately I have a few appliances that require it, Plex being one of them, my rather 'ancient' DVR being another, and I have a couple of service ports currently open for a manufacturer to diagnose some hardware issues (these will be closed once complete).

I have VPN setup for my remote access.

This slow page load is weird as it seems to come and go. Last night the pages loaded quickly, today they are slow again.

Parental controls is also affected.

-s

I know it’s not the question you asked, but Plex should work over the VPN you have set up. 

Mostly the only devices we use to play plex content while away are our phones, so we just connect to the VPN with the phone and Plex away. As far as the Plex app/server are concerned, it’s a local connection, and it works great. We’ve never even enabled remote access on the Plex server.

If you really want to port forward, I think Plex forwards the request from the same place every time (maybe plex.tv; I don’t remember), so you could figure out the IP address of that server and restrict port forwarding to just that IP address. That way at least it’s not open to anyone else. 

14 hours ago, slip.cougan said:

, Plex being one of them

No it doesn't. You wanting remote access to it and/or sharing your library does.

my rather 'ancient' DVR being another,

No it doesn't. Your remote viewing requires it.

I have a couple of service ports currently open for a manufacturer to diagnose some hardware issues

It's called VPN or teamviewing.

Don't port forward. There is no argument to do it that holds up.

Archived