C4 Forums | Control4

Using only one channel on stereo amplifier

Epilogue

Question

Hi all,

I have one project with multizone audio. I have 4 stereo zones, and I am using EA3 controler, TS-AMS8 matrix and TS-PAMP4-100 amplifier. Now, client wants to add one more speaker in bathroom. Can I use 3rd party stereo amp (two channels), and connect speaker to only one channel, and in composer set that matrix output for that zone is MONO? What will happen with amplifier if I use only one channel? 

Thanks in advance.

10 answers to this question

Also, one more question on top of this one:

I have two small rooms (example toilets), and one speaker per toilet which need to be independent controlled. Speakers are not dual tweeter! I will then need to use MONO source right?

In this case, is it possible (in order to save zones on amplifier) that I use only one zone of Triad amplifier (two channels) and on Left channel connect one Mono source for Triad matrix (example left RCA on zone 1 from Triad matrix), and on Right channels of Triad amplifier connect some other Mono source of Triad matrix (example Left RCA on zone 4 from Triad matrix). What could happened with amplifier if one of these two channels are muted (not used)?

Thanks in advance.

On 12/12/2018 at 2:49 PM, Epilogue said:

Hi all,

I have one project with multizone audio. I have 4 stereo zones, and I am using EA3 controler, TS-AMS8 matrix and TS-PAMP4-100 amplifier. Now, client wants to add one more speaker in bathroom. Can I use 3rd party stereo amp (two channels), and connect speaker to only one channel, and in composer set that matrix output for that zone is MONO? What will happen with amplifier if I use only one channel? 

Thanks in advance.

Make you connections as normal in composer, equipment wont know the difference. You can use any third party amp. Keep in mind third party amp don have the network control to turn the zone on/off and may not have audio sensing so you may have a hum.. when zone is off.

On 12/12/2018 at 3:06 PM, Epilogue said:

Also, one more question on top of this one:

I have two small rooms (example toilets), and one speaker per toilet which need to be independent controlled. Speakers are not dual tweeter! I will then need to use MONO source right?

In this case, is it possible (in order to save zones on amplifier) that I use only one zone of Triad amplifier (two channels) and on Left channel connect one Mono source for Triad matrix (example left RCA on zone 1 from Triad matrix), and on Right channels of Triad amplifier connect some other Mono source of Triad matrix (example Left RCA on zone 4 from Triad matrix). What could happened with amplifier if one of these two channels are muted (not used)?

Thanks in advance.

Im not sure that would work as these are stereo inputs, you can control each input as a mono source

Best practice would be to use the Triad's option to MONO the stereo input.

TECHNICALLY, you could do what you propose (assuming you have the right equipement) - HOWEVER it could cause issue depending on the amp with bleed over and mixing (plus it wouldn't work with the above recommendation.

Thanks a lot for your help.

If i want to connect only one speaker to triad amplifier, what do you recommend: do use only one channel of triad zone (and leave the other channel disconnected), or to bridge this two channel and connect to speaker?

15 minutes ago, Epilogue said:

Thanks a lot for your help.

If i want to connect only one speaker to triad amplifier, what do you recommend: do use only one channel of triad zone (and leave the other channel disconnected), or to bridge this two channel and connect to speaker?

Why not just use a single stereo dual channel speaker (like the Triad Silver DT)?  Then you'd get both the Left and Right channels over a single speaker.  That way if there's something coming over just one side (either the L or the R), you don't end up with an odd experience where you only hear the drums, or the vocals, etc.

Bridging is not using a channel as mono. It just only USES one side (left on the Triads) to feed a single speaker (with more power) - it does NOT combine the signals.

What the best option is depends on what you have, but it looks like you have the Triad matrix. If so the MATRIX has the option of mono-summing any induvidual output - meaning it will sum up left and right for that output. Both output channels are still active, but both channels will output everything.

This effectively means that you can wire everything normally, connect only one side on the speaker terminals and get the full range of audio on that one speaker.

Hi Cyknight, thanks you for your help. That's what I also thought. I am just afraid if in one zone of Triad amp. left channel is connected to this one speaker (with mono sound), and I do not connect right channel at all, would it affect a performance of amplifier or maybe damage it if only one channel is used? 

Thank you.

A

Archived