C4 Forums | Control4

ELK 930 Doorbell

kmonty2

I have a ELK 930 connected to my doorbell. The mechanical bell works fine with everything hooked up. I have cat6 running to my 800. I tried the wires to the 12v and Neg, 12v and sig, sig and neg. I have the cat6 into the elk 930 out and neg connection points. I can not get the announcement to activate, i also programmed a light to go to see if it working, nothing happens.

I put in a generic doorbell into the project, and connected it to contact 1 on my 800.

Am I missing something or do i not have it connected to the right spots?

I'm not sure that I'm completely following what you've done.  The 930 basically senses the change in current (Amperage draw) on the doorbell between the transformer and the chime/switch when it's activated.  There's two "input" ports on the 930, and it's basically a series.  Think of one as an "in" and the other as an "out". 

On the LV AC current side of the 930, my setup is: AC transformer --> 930 (input [1]), 930 (input [2]) --> doorbell --> Chime

Now on the part that sends signal to an Normally Open (if I remember correctly it's N/O and not N/C) sensor input on something (mine is hooked up to an Elk M1, but yours may be hooked up to a sensor input on a C4 controller), the Output goes to the Zone input on your controller / alarm panel.  The Neg goes to the common (or negative) input on the alarm panel.

In C4, the Elk Zone for the doorbell is just a contact sensor in the project.  I can then control off of the state of the contact sensor that the C4 controller is seeing from the Elk M1 alarm panel.

I don't want it connected to my alarm, I have a Honeywell Vista. I just want to have the doorbell ring over my amp when it's pushed. Would like to have the porch and foyer light come on at night and play a announcement in the basement over the amp. So I really just want to have my controller sense a button push from my doorbell. I am not able to put a D2S in, no wire for it and no room. Is it possible to do what I want?

• 4 weeks later...

I got the ELK 930 connected properly, but when I press the doorbell the only thing that rings is the basic chime installed in the house.

Now I know its connected right because when I unplug the contact from my 800 it fires the chime and the lights go on. And also when I plug it back in. 

What could be wrong? Is the transformer to much voltage, to little voltage? The basic chime not pulling enough to trigger?

Just to double-check everything - here's how mine is setup...wondering if you don't have it on the correct side of your transformer...

Here's the front of the transformer so you can see how it's hooked up.  The "LOAD" is going to the 930.

image.png.8536795b94e9dadd26492ed7fab7c3cb.png

Here's what the whole thing looks like:

image.thumb.png.d732686990f04513515d64c4067acd9d.png

On the alarm side (HC800 in your case):

image.thumb.png.d9c359c461ca520e6cf6b87ec7dd88cc.png

• 10 months later...

Did you ever figure out the solution to this? I have the exact same issue as OP, I also only have 2 terminals on the doorbell transformer, neither indicated as "load".  The only complexity I have is I am connecting this to a front and side door, so I ran a 4 conductor wire from the ELK 930 to the doorbell transformer location.  Probably overkill, but I wanted to put the 930 inside the panel.  One added benefit is that my panel is connected to a dual battery backup, so even if the power goes out, the panel should announce which door has been "violated".  I have the M1 configured as a non-alarm zone, but for some reason I can't get the zone to announcement...

• 10 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.