C4 Forums | Control4

IP Cameras Recommendation

JFan84

I was set on Luma a couple of months ago, but I'm probably going to use LTS NVR+cameras now.  Native driver, 1U DVR and the cost is right.

The problem is that they literally have hundreds of camera models.. so figuring out exactly what you need isn't super easy and/or quick.

Aren't most cameras from China these days?  Even ones not called Dahua or Hikvision usually are just OEM/rebranded clones of those cameras, maybe with a tweak to the firmware.  I've been using Dahua cameras without the Dahua label on them - but they have english firmware that is updateable.  Great pricing and very good quality camera.  I use blue iris as the NVR so that works seamless in Control4.  The cameras themselves are not exposed to the outside internet - maybe I am gullible but even if the chinese wanted to access the cameras I'd need to have them port forwarded no?

I use Hikvision cameras and the Synology NVR. The Hiks have great low-light sensivity, very high resolution, and low cost, but are a pain to configure. I’ve also used BlueIris and found Synology to be easier to use and configure.

Ring is supposedly going to provide an update at some point to enable RTSP local streaming. If that happens, that will hands down be the easiest solution. But don’t count on it until it’s actually released. 

Ubiquiti Unifi cameras support RTSP and the new Gen2 Cloudkey Plus is a lowcost and simple NVR solution. I’m not sure how well it works with C4, but I’d look at that also. 

5 hours ago, WhyPhy said:

Ring is supposedly going to provide an update at some point to enable RTSP local streaming. If that happens, that will hands down be the easiest solution. But don’t count on it until it’s actually released. 

Any link that talks about this? Would be really nice.

5 minutes ago, therockhr said:

Any link that talks about this? Would be really nice.

This was from a Ring employee working  the Ring booth at CEDIA 2018. He said it was the top requested feature from integrators and they want to grow in that segment. 

1 hour ago, C4S said:

Any other opinions on Synology vs Blue Iris? Seems like Blue Iris requires a beefier machine relative to Synology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m a blue iris fan.  I use a few programming features to sync camera recordings based on alarm status.  

I am normally a Mac guy.  So I got a PC for BI and I run composer HE on it so it’s double duty.   

Been a Synology fan from the beginning.  Haven’t really used any other NVRs because of the workhouse ability of the Synology.  Stream movies, save laptop backups, nvr for cameras, cloud sync, etc. 

Plus their apps are easy to use as well.

For the price, why pay for a nvr when that is all it does.

On 1/4/2019 at 10:10 AM, lippavisual said:

Been a Synology fan from the beginning.  Haven’t really used any other NVRs because of the workhouse ability of the Synology.  Stream movies, save laptop backups, nvr for cameras, cloud sync, etc. 

Plus their apps are easy to use as well.

For the price, why pay for a nvr when that is all it does.

Is there a current Synology model you like for the C4 experience?

33 minutes ago, dcovach said:

Is there a current Synology model you like for the C4 experience?

I am using the RS818+ because I wanted something rack mounted.  Its overkill but I love it.  Their support is really good too.  I back up everything important to the cloud via Backblaze B2.  I pay like $11/month for the storage I need.  Streams movies just fine to an Amazon Fire TV via Kodi for playback on TVs.  I host probably close to 1TB of music on there, I back up parts of my blue iris set up, its.  It just works and since its rack mounted its in the basement and out of sight in my office.

1 hour ago, dcovach said:

It seems like the DS218+ is plenty but I like rack mountable anything :)

Personally a fan of 4 drive units for better RAID options.  Maybe things have changed but a decade ago when I knew this stuff better 4 disc and RAID was the way to go

Archived