Chowmain%20Logo%20Transparent%20Medium.png

Chowmain -LIFX Wifi Lighting driver 

LIFX (pronounced Life-X) is a line of energy-efficient, multi-color, Wi-Fi enabled LED lighting products that can be controlled via a Wi-Fi equipped device such as a smartphone or smartwatch. 

The LIFX driver for Control4 allows for two way control and feedback of all LIFX products including bulbs, strips, beams, tiles and more. 
Features

• Two way control and feedback. 
  • Automatic import of lights upon customer's LIFX account login. 
  • Automatic configuration of lights. Hides unused functionality (eg Day & Dusk models will not show color sliders). 
  • Brightness control 
  • Color Temperature control 
  • Color control 

FAQ 

Where can I purchase this product from? 
LIFX can be purchased from various retailers such as Best Buy and Amazon or direct. 

https://www.lifx.com/ 

What hardware will this work on? 

This will work on all LIFX models. 

How do I find out more information about the driver? 
Please see the links below for more information about the driver. 

Chowmain Website 

Installation Guide 

How do I buy the driver? 
This driver can be purchased from our distributor driverCentral. 

Download Driver / Purchase Licence 

Who do i contact for technical support? 
We have two support desks. One in Australia and one in the US. Click on the link below for details. 

Support 

Do you provide trial licences? 
All Chowmain drivers for Control4 come with a 7 day trial. 

Tile_bedroom%5B1%5D.jpg 

Alan,

My dealer just recommended the LIFX bulbs instead of buying additional Phillips Hue bulbs which I already have.  My question is with the LIFX bulbs (and the current HUEs I have) being on a C4 light switch,  the switch has to remain on all of the time for driver and bulbs to work correctly I assume?  I'm assuming it stands to reason that is the case but how do you turn lights on and off at a switch for the circuit in that case making the bulbs quickly responsive?

Can you show some of the programming available in Composer with your driver as I currently have programming for Hue using the Alexa with the native C4 Hue driver which is clunky and cumbersome/primitive....

2 hours ago, drmark12pa said:

Alan,

My dealer just recommended the LIFX bulbs instead of buying additional Phillips Hue bulbs which I already have.  My question is with the LIFX bulbs (and the current HUEs I have) being on a C4 light switch,  the switch has to remain on all of the time for driver and bulbs to work correctly I assume?  I'm assuming it stands to reason that is the case but how do you turn lights on and off at a switch for the circuit in that case making the bulbs quickly responsive?

Can you show some of the programming available in Composer with your driver as I currently have programming for Hue using the Alexa with the native C4 Hue driver which is clunky and cumbersome/primitive....

Copy and paste of answer in the PM i replied to for reference.  Please don't double post / pm.

Yes you need power to power the bulbs.  As such the circuit will always need to remain on.

Depending on which switches you are using you may be able to un-attach the buttons from the lighting load.  This will essentially turn it into a keypad which you can program against to turn your bulbs on and off.

We are about to release a new version of the LIFX driver which will support groups and scenes so this will make it a bit easier to control systems with large amounts of LIFX lights.

Your dealer can program this up for you.

Major Update

Version #20190116 - 16-JAN-2019
⦁ Added support for groups (New slave driver)
⦁ Added support for scenes (Master Driver - programming tab)
⦁ Added support for RGB command via (Light Driver - programming tab)
⦁ Added support for Color Temp command via (Light Driver - programming tab)
⦁ Fixed issue with ramp rates
⦁ Fixed issue where driver would unhide proxies in all rooms (now it only hides proxies).
⦁ Fixed issue with CLICK_RAMP_RATE_UP, CLICK_RAMP_RATE_DOWN, PRESET_LEVEL

For some reason my LIFX lights and groups in my project keep reverting to the name of room and BRIGHTNESS.  I've changed the names 2x and again the names have changed by themselves.  How is this possible?

On 2/9/2019 at 3:29 PM, drmark12pa said:

For some reason my LIFX lights and groups in my project keep reverting to the name of room and BRIGHTNESS.  I've changed the names 2x and again the names have changed by themselves.  How is this possible?

The driver is only designed to update the name when the connection is bound.

I have the lights and groups bound to their respective lights and have had the names changed in Composer but for some reason 2 of the 3 groups revert back (ie Master bedroom LIFX goes back to Master bedroom brightness)

On 1/2/2019 at 8:23 PM, alanchow said:

Chowmain%20Logo%20Transparent%20Medium.png

Chowmain -LIFX Wifi Lighting driver 

LIFX (pronounced Life-X) is a line of energy-efficient, multi-color, Wi-Fi enabled LED lighting products that can be controlled via a Wi-Fi equipped device such as a smartphone or smartwatch. 

The LIFX driver for Control4 allows for two way control and feedback of all LIFX products including bulbs, strips, beams, tiles and more. 
Features

• Two way control and feedback. 
  • Automatic import of lights upon customer's LIFX account login. 
  • Automatic configuration of lights. Hides unused functionality (eg Day & Dusk models will not show color sliders). 
  • Brightness control 
  • Color Temperature control 
  • Color control 

It looks like LifX just added the ability to trigger Effects through their API recently in addition to scenes. Any chance of getting that added to the driver as well?

Thanks!

On 3/16/2019 at 1:45 AM, Byshop303 said:

It looks like LifX just added the ability to trigger Effects through their API recently in addition to scenes. Any chance of getting that added to the driver as well?

Thanks!

We can add it to our feature request list but at the moment we have about 13 contracts we need to finalise before CEDIA Expo.

On 3/17/2019 at 8:07 PM, alanchow said:

We can add it to our feature request list but at the moment we have about 13 contracts we need to finalise before CEDIA Expo.

Understood, thanks. Is anyone else having trouble getting this driver to turn LifX devices off? On seems to work great, but no so much the other way. Reducing all the levels to zero turns the light off, but then it turns itself back on a second later (even if no devices apps are controlling it). Turning it off via programming doesn't appear to work either. Both of these functions work from the popup control panel in composer though.

Triggering LifX "scenes" works like a champ, though. My workaround is I have created a scene that turns off the lights but the actual off functions of the drivers do not work for me at all. My account/API access seems fine, and I can make the lights do whatever I want with a few Postman calls.

I installed the ChowMain driver for LIFX last evening and it works great so far.  The lights are a 9 foot run in my kitchen.  Several questions/issues:

1. the only way I can turn the lights off is by setting the brightness to ZERO. That has been mentioned and there seems to be no other work around.

2. I have several ways that the kitchen lights are turned on:

a. voice command - three levels of lighting by voice

b. motion sensor/movement

c. time of day (scheduler)

each of these have always been done using the advanced lighting so it has been no issue. Now I have to go to each place and manually enter what I want to happen.  Is there a better way? This also means that I have to set the color that I want in each of these scenes and level.  The application has much more control on my phone that control4 has over the lights. I must not see the "vision" yet for how to do this really nicely.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Bill