C4 Forums | Control4

Brand New, Need help cutting the cord

I just had Control4 installed last week. Tonight, Spectrum couldn't reach a deal with Tribune and I couldn't watch the Cowboys/Seahawks game. When I called to complain, they also stated my bill was going up in 20 days.

I need to find a streaming option and I'm looking at the Playstation Vue but as far I know, Playstation doesn't work well with others. Is there a way that my installer could program my remote to automatically open the app or go through my Playstation 4 and control it? If not, what other streaming options do I have that I could use my remote on. I hate to go back to multiple remotes, especially after spending this much to fix that problem. I appreciate any help and realize I know very little about Control4 as of now. Thanks  

I recommend Roku for best integration with Control4.  You can directly open apps (Netflix, Hulu, SlingTV, YouTube, etc) from within the Control4 Watch menu.  I use SlingTV for live TV, I'm happy with it and it only runs me $25 a month.

Control4 controls the Roku over the network, so you just need to put it on the network and Control4 can easily find it.

34 minutes ago, Luke said:

I got Rangers on Fox Sports SW on Sling TV. I’ve been streaming only for 3 years (with Google Fiber) and wouldn’t go back. 

No go with Rockies? 

Nope.  AT&T Sportsnet has a deal with MLB but doesn’t apply if you are served by Comcast, at least in the Denver market.  I’m sure it will eventually change but the cable companies will not go quietly.  Wish I could get Google fiber.

You often can get around these blackouts with VPNs.  You just have to fool them so that they think you are ABD - Anywhere But Denver.  But that adds to the complexity and will likely cost at least a few $ per month.

On 1/6/2019 at 12:32 AM, chopedogg88 said:

I recommend Roku for best integration with Control4.  You can directly open apps (Netflix, Hulu, SlingTV, YouTube, etc) from within the Control4 Watch menu.  I use SlingTV for live TV, I'm happy with it and it only runs me $25 a month.

Control4 controls the Roku over the network, so you just need to put it on the network and Control4 can easily find it.

I agree with the comment above and would add that Playstation Vue is also available on Roku and works very well in my experience.  I dropped Spectrum about a month ago and picked up PS Vue.  I bought Roku's for all 3 of my TV's.  The C4 integration is actually better than the Roku by itself because you can program mini drivers to take you directly into the streaming services without going through the Roku home screen.  Highly recommend both services.

Jim

23 minutes ago, zaphod said:

You often can get around these blackouts with VPNs.  You just have to fool them so that they think you are ABD - Anywhere But Denver.  But that adds to the complexity and will likely cost at least a few $ per month.

I have done this in the past and it was ok for a while.  At one point MLBTV stopped working through the VPN and I didn’t pursue other providers when online discussions indicated that MLB changed authentication based on credit card billing address and not just IP address. That was a couple years ago so maybe it works again (though it clearly violates the terms of service).

46 minutes ago, jreinardy said:

I agree with the comment above and would add that Playstation Vue is also available on Roku and works very well in my experience.  I dropped Spectrum about a month ago and picked up PS Vue.  I bought Roku's for all 3 of my TV's.  The C4 integration is actually better than the Roku by itself because you can program mini drivers to take you directly into the streaming services without going through the Roku home screen.  Highly recommend both services.

Jim

My installer came today and got everything set up on my living room tv. I asked him if there was a driver to take me directly to the Vue app and he looked and said there wasn't. I asked him if there was a way to build one and he said that it had to be verified by Control4. How can I get this added as it will make things so much better and faster?

Archived