C4 Forums | Control4

Apple Watch

Mike_S101

You've got my vote.  As mentioned above, the Watch app is great for when you don't have or cannot reach your phone to make adjustments to volume or tracks (my major use case) of a source.  Especially good around the pool, when grilling, and when streaming audio from an exercise machine (Peloton) to in-room speakers.

Regardless, nice to know that Control4 employees are here looking and listening to customers and installers.

Yeah, I always wanted to regularly use the Apple Watch app but it was so unreliable and inconsistent that I really couldn’t get into a habit of using it.

I hope it comes to 3.0 in an improved form - I’d love to make use of it.

13 hours ago, jakblak said:

While we don't comment on future releases we are evaluating the feasibility and practicality of bringing Apple Watch functionality to 3.0.

While you are at it please consider some type of iOS Widget support...competitors have it, and it could be pretty useful.  Unless this was added in 3.0, I won't be able to load it just yet.

1 hour ago, turls said:

While you are at it please consider some type of iOS Widget support...competitors have it, and it could be pretty useful.  Unless this was added in 3.0, I won't be able to load it just yet.

Yes, a widget would be a nice addition as well for quick access to certain things.. I've found myself using them more and more recently.

It was not added as part of 3.0, as far as I can see.

15 hours ago, anon2828 said:

You've got my vote.  As mentioned above, the Watch app is great for when you don't have or cannot reach your phone to make adjustments to volume or tracks (my major use case) of a source.  Especially good around the pool, when grilling, and when streaming audio from an exercise machine (Peloton) to in-room speakers.

Regardless, nice to know that Control4 employees are here looking and listening to customers and installers.

Absolutely.  I find myself using the watch more and more with the recent improvements.  

1 hour ago, THawes said:

Yes, a widget would be a nice addition as well for quick access to certain things.. I've found myself using them more and more recently.

It was not added as part of 3.0, as far as I can see.

I can imagine several different use-cases, particularly for 3.0 and favoriting, but what kinds of things things did you have in mind? 

33 minutes ago, jakblak said:

I can imagine several different use-cases, particularly for 3.0 and favoriting, but what kinds of things things did you have in mind? 

Shortcuts to different actions would be a big one I think:

• Execute a lighting scene
  • Open/close a garage door
  • Arm the security alarm

27 minutes ago, THawes said:

Shortcuts to different actions would be a big one I think:

• Execute a lighting scene
  • Open/close a garage door
  • Arm the security alarm

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll pass them along to our UX team.

Just now, jakblak said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll pass them along to our UX team.

Ah, nice! Thank you - nice to have a line of communication like this 😊. There was one other thing I noticed in the 3.0 app that seems like either a bug or missed opportunity, but I'll send it in a PM to stay on-topic here. 

Agree with above re: shortcuts (now Favorites I suppose under 3.0).

I use Apple Watch constantly to arm/disarm my alarm through the Alarm.com app, open and close garage door through the MyQ app, etc.  Having to switch back and forth between apps is a pain.  That is the entire promise and marketing of Control4, thus the Apple Watch app needs to be a part of that.

15 minutes ago, anon2828 said:

Agree with above re: shortcuts (now Favorites I suppose under 3.0).

I use Apple Watch constantly to arm/disarm my alarm through the Alarm.com app, open and close garage door through the MyQ app, etc.  Having to switch back and forth between apps is a pain.  That is the entire promise and marketing of Control4, thus the Apple Watch app needs to be a part of that.

Agreed, switching apps is a pain, unfortunately some device manufacturer have closed ecosystems so we're unable to provide drivers for them.  I use Arlo cameras and would love to integrate them into my system but unfortunately, they don't provide an API that we can use to create a driver.

Want to know the weird thing?  Today, after my 3.0 upgrade, is the first time the Apple Watch app has functioned in a stable manner.  No weird jumping around or erratic refreshing.  It just works now.  I guess i'll leave the 2.0 app on my iPhone so i can keep using it...

2 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

I’d love to see the Watch app stable. I really liked it when it worked...problem was it would constantly crash and refresh and lost its biggest benefit of being always accessible on your wrist when it would not function. 

If you're still on 2.10, give it a try.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with everyone here...  The only real reason I got an Apple Watch was for the C4 app but it Never worked reliably.  I tried every suggestion I found and nothing worked - just kept rebooting itself.  Well, about a week before I upgraded my system to 3.0, either apple or C4 must have done an update and it started working.  I got to use it for a week and now it's not supported.  I vote for Watch support in 3.0.

Don

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.