C4 Forums | Control4

Connecting microphone to C4

Zuhair

One of my zones is a mini auditorium with this setup.

88362451_ScreenShot2019-01-21at4_03_06PM.thumb.png.25ddbc54483598132e82c2c0f1e94f68.png

What is the best way to connect a microphone to use the ceiling speakers? Shall I first connect the microphone to a mini amplifier before connecting it to the audio matrix? I'm looking for a seamless integration with C4. Maybe using the Chowmain advance button driver to trigger a macro that route the mic through the matrix to the amplifier? I'm open to any suggestion.

Correct, buy a microphone and a mic preamp.  Wire to suit.

Please note that there are usually other equipment involved that protects your amps and speakers from being blown out.

But the above will get you by.

Feedback Eliminators and DSPs typically go hand in hand with mics for the above reasons. 

31 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Correct, buy a microphone and a mic preamp.  Wire to suit.

Please note that there are usually other equipment involved that protects your amps and speakers from being blown out.

But the above will get you by.

Feedback Eliminators and DSPs typically go hand in hand with mics for the above reasons. 

So the connection will be: Mic -> preamp -> Matrix -> Amp -> Zone

How will the audio matrix trigger the audio from preamp and activate the desired zone? Writing an IF condition to sense input to matrix?

On 1/21/2019 at 8:23 PM, lippavisual said:

The preamp is always on so you just need a custom button or similar to select the mic in the zone.

If you want to be able to talk over program audio, they do make preamps that have a line input as well, so essentially mixing the music audio and mic audio.

Is there a recommended amp?

• 2 years later...

I would assign a custom button to each room you want the microphone to play out in those ceiling speakers.

Button does:

1. Turn on room audio at present volume

2. Assign constant audio matrix input (to microphone's input)

3. Assign that room's audio matrix output

Once that is done if you have an amp it's downstream from the matrix so you might not need a pre-amp for the mic.

But don't be in the room you want to microphone with.   You'll pick up your voice from the speakers into the microphone and cause a loop: no bueno.

#1 rule in music is never point microphone at speakers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.