C4 Forums | Control4

recommended NVR camera systems to mate with C4

philly dog

Am exploring integration of 4-8 camera NVR security system into my C4 system.  My dealer suggested  Lilin.  Do you recommend this, or what other brands would you recommend that integrate well into C4?

Tougher question: we don't use the C4 intercom because we have a phone system intercom, including to the entry doors.  Is there any way to retain phone system intercom and also have integration into a video doorbell box that would tie into a C4 video system?

1 hour ago, philly dog said:

Am exploring integration of 4-8 camera NVR security system into my C4 system.  My dealer suggested  Lilin.  Do you recommend this, or what other brands would you recommend that integrate well into C4?

Tougher question: we don't use the C4 intercom because we have a phone system intercom, including to the entry doors.  Is there any way to retain phone system intercom and also have integration into a video doorbell box that would tie into a C4 video system?

Find an NVR that’s open. Dealer suggests lilin because it’s easy distribution thru c4.  Get a man agnostic NVR.  I use blue iris.  You can use synology or other NAS with proper licenses

is the phone system currently in c4 and you want to just add a camera or is the door phone not on c4?  Does the phone intercom have SIP?  What’s the hardware?

Pakedge cameras for best result in both C4 onscreen AND nvr recording quality. NVR itself, Lillin is the 'logical' choice, but there's lots of options depending on what you want in the end from the NVR - the NVR itself is best viewed using it's own web interface in 99% of the c

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2019 at 8:16 PM, Cyknight said:

Pakedge cameras for best result in both C4 onscreen AND nvr recording quality. NVR itself, Lillin is the 'logical' choice, but there's lots of options depending on what you want in the end from the NVR - the NVR itself is best viewed using it's own web interface in 99% of the c

I'd like the following features:

Motion detection - have choice to be notified (App/alarm).

Recording 24/7 by all cameras (<16)

Ability to view live at anytime.  Preferably within C4 app so I can watch on TV/iPad/iPhone.

Based on above top priorities, what are good options (i.e. reliable, well integrated) on the affordable end?  I don't necessarily mean cheap - if you lined up options that met those requirements who are 3 to check out?  I'm new to this area and am familiar with SnapAV/Luma because an Integrator has recommended it.  

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:29 PM, Kimma said:

Does Hikvision integrate well? I've been wanting to get 6 x DS-2CD2055FWD-I and 1 x DS-7608NI-Q2/8P but my system integrator isn't sure if it will integrate well or not. 

yes someone makes a driver to add dvr control. its expensive, I have not used it.. all hik cameras give the video stream, but the video stream has to be 1080 and nothing higher

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but it's along the lines of what I'm curious about.  Any help is appreciated.

For a few reasons, I'm looking at adding some exterior cameras to my house and potentially an alarm system.  I've never looked into this stuff much but I think it'll give my wife and I some peace of mind when we're away from home.

I have a Control4 system at my house with an HC-800 as the controller.  I'd love to have everything integrate together, but I guess I don't know the pros and cons of doing that.  I'd love to have Control4 in the middle of it all, and checking a camera through Control4 on a TV would be nice, but it isn't required.

At the end of the day, I'd love to install some really nice cameras that are worth something when an event actually happens, and I don't know what my expectations should be for an alarm system.  I'm hesitant to call any of the companies that do this stuff because I'd like to do everything myself and avoid paying for some very overpriced hardware.

Does anyone have any recommendations for exterior cameras and an alarm system?  How are you using them today with Control4?  Do I need to worry about an integration?

Thank you for your help!

Hmm. Well I use my cams every day viewing through C4, at home and remote. NVR is fed through my distribution, but it's an added feature rarely used - I wouldn't worry TOO much about the NVR being available in C4, I WOULD strongly recommend using Cams themselves in C$. Most NVRs have better interfaces for 'web' viewing than on-screen interfaces.

As for cameras, Pro rated gear is best - up to you what brand to use, but to me an 'lrex' pieces and so on have always dissapointed. To get full HD recording while maintaining C4 image, Pakedge is an easy choice, but only available though your dealer, but Lilin, HIKvision and numerous others are commonly sold where you can get them for DIY realtively easily - but HIKvision will likely be limited to lower res unless you have a good C4 dealer that can handle setup using the 'test' driver (which is more a universal driver that requires knowledge of streams and so forth.)

31 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Hmm. Well I use my cams every day viewing through C4, at home and remote. NVR is fed through my distribution, but it's an added feature rarely used - I wouldn't worry TOO much about the NVR being available in C4, I WOULD strongly recommend using Cams themselves in C$. Most NVRs have better interfaces for 'web' viewing than on-screen interfaces.

As for cameras, Pro rated gear is best - up to you what brand to use, but to me an 'lrex' pieces and so on have always dissapointed. To get full HD recording while maintaining C4 image, Pakedge is an easy choice, but only available though your dealer, but Lilin, HIKvision and numerous others are commonly sold where you can get them for DIY realtively easily - but HIKvision will likely be limited to lower res unless you have a good C4 dealer that can handle setup using the 'test' driver (which is more a universal driver that requires knowledge of streams and so forth.)

Forgive me for what I don't know.  What do you mean by "NVR is fed through my distribution" and "I wouldn't worry TOO much about the NVR being available in C4"?  Is NVR the live feed?  Sorry...I'm a rookie.

I'll have to look into the Pakedge cameras.  I don't want the C4 integration to determine what hardware I go with, but if I can get awesome cameras and have them work in Control4, that sounds like a winner to me.

Other than PoE requirements, should I worry about having the cameras on their own switch?  Any pointers from camera specs to rack setup to everything in between is appreciated.

Forgive me for what I don't know.

NVR - Network Video Recorder - ie the device that records the footage. By Distribution system I mean my video distribution, in other words It's available at every TV - What I mean is that I don't find it all that necessary

2 hours ago, blub said:

What about Blue iris?

Blue Iris is one example of an NVR, and it works well (but is not a dedicated device, but software that runs on a computer). Certainly a good option. Allows a LOT of cameras to be integrated, and indeed allow a lot of mix and match. Main question was on what cameras though 😉

Other than PoE requirements, should I worry about having the cameras on their own switch?

Switch wise, stay away from managed switches, and make sure they are rated properly (ie max wattage equals total wattage of cameras). If they have to be on their OWN switch mainly depends on how may you think you'll have. Up to 8 cameras I wouldn't say it's required - more than that I would strongly advise it.

3 hours ago, burowyako said:

I'll have to look into the Pakedge cameras.  I don't want the C4 integration to determine what hardware I go with, but if I can get awesome cameras and have them work in Control4, that sounds like a winner to me. 

The big advantage there is simply that the drivers are preset and able to use the secondary stream as the feed to C4, leave the main stream at max resolution for recording, and it all gets set automatically (so very ease). Note that as such, Pakedge cameras are NOT tied to a Control4 system, and can be used completely independently.

They are just one option though.

18 hours ago, Cyknight said:

NVR - Network Video Recorder - ie the device that records the footage. By Distribution system I mean my video distribution, in other words It's available at every TV - What I mean is that I don't find it all that necessary

Blue Iris is one example of an NVR, and it works well (but is not a dedicated device, but software that runs on a computer). Certainly a good option. Allows a LOT of cameras to be integrated, and indeed allow a lot of mix and match. Main question was on what cameras though 😉

Switch wise, stay away from managed switches, and make sure they are rated properly (ie max wattage equals total wattage of cameras). If they have to be on their OWN switch mainly depends on how may you think you'll have. Up to 8 cameras I wouldn't say it's required - more than that I would strongly advise it.

The big advantage there is simply that the drivers are preset and able to use the secondary stream as the feed to C4, leave the main stream at max resolution for recording, and it all gets set automatically (so very ease). Note that as such, Pakedge cameras are NOT tied to a Control4 system, and can be used completely independently.

They are just one option though.

Thank you very much for the information!  I'll do some research and see if I can make a plan for my house.

Any recommendations for a security system that works well with Control4?  Is it worth paying a third party to install and monitor it, or can I get better get with a DIY model?

19 hours ago, burowyako said:

Thank you very much for the information!  I'll do some research and see if I can make a plan for my house.

Any recommendations for a security system that works well with Control4?  Is it worth paying a third party to install and monitor it, or can I get better get with a DIY model?

Better price depends on your market - as well as if you get added discounts on insurance if you're monitored.

As for good panels to integrate, GE/Interlogix Concord4, DSC NEO and DSC Powerseries are three very commonly used option, but there is more out there as well, depending on local market.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.