C4 Forums | Control4

Bose system integration

Samer Shami

Has any dealer had any experience with Bose integration with Control4?

My Crestorn background has taught me to be scared (very scared) whenever anyone mentions that brand and automation in the same sentence. But times are changing, and I must move on.

I was wondering if others have successfully integrated a bose lifestyle ssytem with Control4.

We actually started dealing with a new Distributor that has Bose as one of their lines. We are considering selling more Bose speaker/systems. They sound great, very small, and customers can definately relate to the name.

My only concern was the C4 integration, so I'm definately interested in finding out this answer as well.

Dan

Have to agree...Blows.. er I mean BOSE are NOT a good sounding speaker. I feel for the people who purchase BOSE because I feel like they have been taken advantage of by marketing hype. Try finding out some important specs about BOSE speakers like frequency response, power handling,...etc. You can't!! I wonder why BOSE does not post these?:rolleyes:

Because a tiny paper cone full range speaker just does not perform very well thats why!

Sorry,.....I did not mean to go into BOSE bash mode.

Give Definitive Technology, Polk Audio, Jamo, OR ANYTHING ELSE a try for that matter first.

Just one guys opinion.

No highs, no lows -- must be Bose. (And no mids either)

OTOH -- interior decorators, wives and other non-audio geeks like the form factor. And yes, Bose marketing is fantastic. Their industrial design is not bad either - very sleek "lifestyle" units say "expensive quality" to the less-than-clued-in masses.

I have to put my vote in for the "NAYS" here. Bose aka Blows - really aren't my idea of an ideal system for QUALITY sound... sound maybe, but not quality. They are definately a marketing machine, what child hasn't seen their ad in the Sunday newspaper, Paul Harvey, etc. while growing up? I always cringe when people ask about installing a Bose Lifestyle system, they are available to me, but I tell them to call the Vacuum salesman if they want it. I deal in quality custom audio installations. I would never want to have people think of me as the guy that installs Bose. I don't care what their sleek design says...

Blake

OK. Message received loud and clear. I might add that I am not specing them into jobs, my dealers potentially will. I voiced my opinion to them, but ultimately they generate revenue from Bose - and it is not something they will drop simply because I tell them to.

What I am after is if anyone has managed to integrate them in any meaningful way into a job, even if it was using a Marantz of Pronto remote. Anything. I need some mroe information to keep my dealers in the loop about Bose.

Sorry Shami, Didn't mean to Bash.

BOSE is notoriously hard to work with. They are usually very proprietary, and it can be an absolute nightmare trying to automate anything from the BOSE line. We have had customers who have wanted to tie in an existing BOSE system for the master bedroom, or bonus room, etc and it almost always caused us nothing but headaches from a control standpoint.

We have made a vow that if a customer has an existing BOSE system that they want to use, we will only use it as a separate stand alone unit.

After HOURS of trouble-shooting time, that is what I would suggest to your other dealers.

MT

We know that Bose is not the best but the target market of C4 is also the target market for Bose. We are going to have alot of overlap, meaning alot of our installations are going to have Bose equipment. Has anyone played with integrating? Iv'e got one comming up and I know it will be a hard sell to try and get them to ditch their beloved Bose.

It's not hard. Just show them that their "supposed" surround system doesn't have dolby digital OR DTS capability and then show them a similar product next to the Blose and show them how much better a real system sounds.

I believe the Blose products have some strange frequency for the IR also. Good luck finding discrete codes.

Junk, junk, junk. I have at least 5 clients who had Bose and now it's in the basement or the garage or ebayed. It's not hard to sell over it. They are hiring you for your expertise. Without bashing Blose show and tell them why your product, or ANY product

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the bottom line though. Bose is good margin and it's also the 2nd best selling speaker in the states. Regardless of what you might personally think of the product, you have to hand it to their marketing machine. It shouldn't be too hard to integrate into C4. There are no discrete on and off, but there are ways around that. Using the discrete inputs will turn it on. To turn it off, just have it first go to a unused input (this tells it to make sure it's on in case it's off) then send it a power command. That's how I always did it with A URC Remote and it works flawlessly. I believe there are codes on remote central or you can easily learn them. They have a new piece, which is a Component Video switcher/upconverter which comes in handy. Just make sure you are setting it up as a receiver with comp inputs with upconversion. The switcher comes with the software disc to make it work good with the Bose.

So, All in all, like it or not, people use Bose. And it makes you money. So go ahead and tell your customers to not buy it, but when you do, please mapquest my store and give them directions. Becuase I will sell it to them with a smile.

Bose isn't all bad.... let me think.... um, they're small! Oh, and they come well packaged in the box! Of course, there are better headphone speakers out there for $5 each. If you're going to sell these Dave, at least don't smile, just shake your head and make a "you're a fool" clucking sound.

Sorry Samer, wish I could help but I haven't had the displeasure of integrating Bose with C4 yet.

• 2 weeks later...

If you would like to integrate wih Bose Lifestyle do not use the driver that Control4 provides, most of the codes do not work.

We created separate drivers for each of the lifestyle functions(even though its all in one box, it seems best to treat it as separate components since that is the way control 4 is geared.)

The new Bose equipment can be controlled by IR commands so you can use any programmable remote. The Bose system is also a multiroom product, and has proprietary music storage, you would probably want to choose either Bose or Control4 for multiroom overlap would probably be confusing.

Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...
You can't typically use bose speakers with other systems. Unless it is that one line of theres that has standard ohm ratings..

The acoustimass systems state:

Compatability

Compatible with receivers or amplifiers rated 4-8 ohms

Compatible with receivers or amplifiers rated from 10 to 200 watts per chanel

I rest my case. Or as the french say "Ma chèvre est tombée dans le trou!"

• 1 month later...

All the above is just too true to make any sense, but buy them they do. Its our job to do the dirty work and try to make thier stuff work. I have had the fun of making the Bose work with C4 and have uploaded the file in to the file section. The IR receiver on the Lifestyle 38 unit is on the bottom right side just below the display bubble. You might want to test it first as I have tried to block out the whole frustrating experiance, and might not remember the exact placement.

Archived