C4 Forums | Control4

Sonos volume as a Custom Button

Haveitall

Hello - 

I very often listen to music while I have sports on the television, which is awkward with C4.  On one level, I have the sonos set up as a completely separate room.  On a different floor, I have the sonos and TV in the same room and just mostly use the sonos ap for audio, with the c4 controlling the TV.  Here is my question:  I set up the sonos as custom buttons and it works great on my touchpad.  I can pick any of 5 standard deezer stations, play/pause work, fast forward works.  But volume control does not.  The custom 'up' button I set up (linked to SONOS->OUTPUT_VOLUME_LEVEL-1) doesn't do anything.   Any suggestions?

Second problem.  I have never cracked the code on 'linking' two sonos rooms within C4. Can that be done?  Either with code or in the app?  I have a button that I press for music, but the best I can do is get the same station playing (different songs) on two different sonos (or is it soneye?).

• 3 weeks later...

Make sure the Sonos connections driver is placed into the corresponding room and configured appropriately. Make sure audio end points and volume are also correct. Once those are good you should be able to either go to digital media and join room, or you can go to the Sonos connection driver of the room you want and change input to network audio Zone x. If I remember right both of these methods will actually group the rooms within Sonos in real time when executed. I think the other way that would work is to change the audio source of the room you're sitting in to the Sonos connection of the room you want to be playing in your current room. This method though I think doesn't group the rooms within Sonos but it should be pulling the same stream. 

Volume control also works similar but it depends on your overall setup. If you only have one device capable of playing audio in the room (Sonos for both end point and volume) just send a volume pulse to the room. If you have to be more direct or you're dealing with a more complex setup send a volume pulse to the Sonos connections driver in the target room. 

I'm basing the specifics on memory but I'm pretty sure most of those will do what you want. There are a bunch of different ways to do it and it depends on the overall project I think. If you're just dealing with a basic setup though download the room control driver and use that for pretty much everything you asked for here. 

Thanks for the replys - not sure what I was doing wrong, but my dealer fixed the volume issue.  

As for linking two rooms, I was just making things two complicated.  On the off chance it helps someone else, all you do is put "Select the (RoomX Sonos) as the audio source in (RoomY)".  I kept putting a 'Play' statement after that, which made it start its 'own' audio stream.  Once I deleted that, worked fine.

Archived