C4 Forums | Control4

Weather integration

dbuono

I'm pretty sure control4 will release a driver as an alternate option soon.  If anything, there might be something in beta for now but with limitations.
I can look into it if interested.
That would be really nice of you.

I bought the chownein dark skies weather driver and I am disappointed as it is only usable for programming and diesnt shiw up as a thermostat and cant be connected to one - so on mobile navigators I cant see the outside temp.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2019 at 4:07 AM, dcovach said:

I'm pretty sure control4 will release a driver as an alternate option soon.  If anything, there might be something in beta for now but with limitations.

I can look into it if interested.

Ok, so my dealer has the top secret Beta driver (maybe I’m not supposed to have seen it? Shh!). But the good (great) news is that the driver is (appears to be) an update on the current Weather Underground driver (version 207 is what I saw compared to version 104 which is what I have) and the only difference that I could see is that NO API key was needed.  I can only assume that C4 is paying for the API key which is really cool!

2 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Ok, so my dealer has the top secret Beta driver (maybe I’m not supposed to have seen it? Shh!). But the good (great) news is that the driver is (appears to be) an update on the current Weather Underground driver (version 207 is what I saw compared to version 104 which is what I have) and the only difference that I could see is that NO API key was needed.  I can only assume that C4 is paying for the API key which is really cool!

That would be the one.  Since it's beta, it won't be in the C4 driver database until finished.

10 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Looks like we got a Auto Update last night to this driver 

It's posted on the dealer forum.....

Doesn't have the 'warnings' of the earlier driver, they're using a different service based on long/lat.

Has outdoor temp which displays as current temp in the Tstat driver, a forecast text (today and tomorrow) scrolls along bottom, and you can use 'set points' for alerting to above and below temps using MODE as user control if to send alerts that were programmed.

Humidity, windspeed, wind direction, pressure variables, and a couple others IF the reporting station reports and displayed on 'extras' tab.

Really wish these would allow programming based on forecast high / low temperatures.  Just looked at this new version, and it doesn't look like it does that. 

This would enable a number of proactive things, like "if the forecast high is going to be over 80F, then start the sprinklers at 4am", or to eliminate or take advantage of solar heat gain, "if the forecast is sunny, and forecast high is >= 20F, then open the shades to use solar heat gain to heat the house", or the opposite in the summer "If the forecast high is >= 70, then close the blinds in the morning before the house heats up to lower the load on the AC"

It also looks like it doesn't allow you to look at an individual (personal) weather station, so now it looks at a generic station based on geography.  I'd rather look at the rainfall in my back yard than a mile away when making a decision on watering patterns.  Things like rainfall can vary from block to block...

4 hours ago, RAV said:

It's posted on the dealer forum.....

Doesn't have the 'warnings' of the earlier driver, they're using a different service based on long/lat.

Has outdoor temp which displays as current temp in the Tstat driver, a forecast text (today and tomorrow) scrolls along bottom, and you can use 'set points' for alerting to above and below temps using MODE as user control if to send alerts that were programmed.

Humidity, windspeed, wind direction, pressure variables, and a couple others IF the reporting station reports and displayed on 'extras' tab.

The item I am most interested in is precipitation today... mine has it but we have had no rain for the last couple of days, so I cannot tell if it works.  It shows zero which is obviously right,  hopefully that changes when there is rain.  I can live with it measuring a few blocks away as long as it is roughly right!

OK, so we had a massive rain storm last night and in the early hours of the morning  but “rain today” and “rain in the last hour” both remained at 0mm throughout. I’m not sure if this is a bug in the driver or if the weather station that my area is linked to does not measure rainfall or what the story is...

Does anyone else see these variables working (returning non-zero values)?

As a matter of interest, does anyone know what weather service is being used?

I use Netamo products. I wrote my own driver to interface with it. It has a wind station separate rain station which does temp and humidity as well. Has indoor sensors that can provide a plathora of info like air quality C02 etc temp humidity....

It uploads all the info into the cloud and you end up querying it from there and not directly from the device. The accuracy has been darn good.

They also run some AI based on the values coming in i.e. My wind station has barometric pressure and with that and the wind direction can predict rain. They store up to 5 years of data for those data geeks out there....

I haven't found one weather service that is spot on so it's a nice to have / know but not something I would build critical logic with. Mother nature does her own thing :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.