C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 relays (EA3 / IO extender) voltage?

sofakng

Does anybody know the voltage of the EA3 and I/O extender relays?  I believe they are both 24v but I’m not 100% sure.  The manually specifies that as the “max” voltage.

For example, if a Control4 driver turns the relay on, does than mean that 24v will be sent across COM and NO (normally open)?  (and likewise, 0v will be sent when the relay is off)

Hmmm, maybe I’m confusing the contact sensor ports and the relays?

I’m trying to connect a Control4 controller (EA3/IO extender) to another relay and be able to turn it on and off.  For example, I thought that the C4 relay would send 24v when “on” and 0v when “off”.

The goal is to control a 120v device (on/off) using Control4 and wires.  I know there are several wireless outlet relays (WeMo, etc) but I’m trying to find/build something hardwired.

Does that make sense?

You can do that, get a power supply, pass the negative through the relay on control4 then to device. send the positive directly to device this way you are not limited on the ca[pacity of the control4 relays. You cant pass 120v through the control4 relays.

You could uses something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Enclosed-Relay-Class-Dry-Contact/dp/B00788AN4K

Thank you so much for the information.

Is the relay basically an electronic switch?  For example, you can connect up to 24v into the COM terminal and then it will go out the NO/NC terminals depending if the controller has it on or off?

I'm thinking of relays that are used for a low voltage (i.e. 24v) to control a high voltage (120v) device?

Can you explain how it works better?

Thank you so much for the information.
Is the relay basically an electronic switch?  For example, you can connect up to 24v into the COM terminal and then it will go out the NO/NC terminals depending if the controller has it on or off?
I'm thinking of relays that are used for a low voltage (i.e. 24v) to control a high voltage (120v) device?
Can you explain how it works better?

Yes the relay is just a switch.

If you want low voltage relay to control 120v you would need that second item I posted. Low voltage wires to Control4 and 120v wires to device.

What is the application?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The application is that I’m trying to control power to a PC.  (there are other ways of controlling a PC, but I’m interested in completely removing power, etc)

Would something like this work?  http://www.powerswitchtail.com/new-powerswitch-tail-3

It’s described as a DC-actuated power cord with built-in 5vdc power supply.  I’m wondering if I can connect the +5v from the power cord to the Control4 relay, and then back into the power cord control signal.  When Control4 activates the relay, the +5v will turn on the power cord.  Does that make sense?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Contact

Maximum Current Draw

EA-3 / EA-5

30VDC, 1.25A maximum

HC-800

12VDC 1.25A / Shared across all outputs

HC-250

12VDC 1.25A

HC-500

12VDC Max 250ma / Shared across all outputs

HC-300

12VDC Max 250ma

Home Theater Controller

12VDC 750ma

Media Controller

IO Extender

Contact/Relay Extender

500ma / Shared across all contacts

Relay

Max Voltage Throughput

EA-3 / EA-5

AC: 36V, 2A max / DC: 24V, 2A max

HC-800

AC - 36V, 2A  /  DC - 24V

HC-250

HC-500

HC-300

AC - 36V, 2A  /  DC - 24V

Home Theater Controller

Media Controller

IO Extender

Contact/Relay Extender

20 hours ago, sofakng said:

I’m wondering if I can connect the +5v from the power cord to the Control4 relay, and then back into the power cord control signal.  When Control4 activates the relay, the +5v will turn on the power cord.  Does that make sense?

I'm 99% sure that will work!

Archived