C4 Forums | Control4

Channel Favorites Sorting

lasvegas_rob

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested, I have found a workaround for the automatic channel sorting on favorites. It sorts by alphabetical or numerical. Simply add the channel number in front of the channel name (Ex: HBOHD change to 070 HBO HD), and viola! the channels will sort by ascending channel number. This of course would also work if you listed the favorite channels by number (ex: 1-9 and so forth).

The Favorites feature isn't meant to allow viewing of all possible channels - just for a few favorites (a dozen or so). So renaming a few channels shouldn't be an issue. Ex: change channel description KHON (Fox Affiliate) to 2 KHON in Composer. This will put it first, assuming there isn't a channel 1. However, once you get to channel 10, you will need to add a 1 in front of the number 10 (1 10) to keep it in order.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey on the subject, does anyone know how to actually get the Channels to work? We have added the media, but I can't find for the life of me how to associate those channels with a certain cable box. As well as how to change the channels.

Thanks

I don't think you can assocate them to a specific device - I asked this question 8 months ago - as we have houses with multiple Satellite receivers (ie: DirecTV Sat that is modulated throughout the house) and then in the room with HDTV - that has it's own Sat receiver... two problems occur:

1) In the HDTV Room - it seems like the first time you select channel and a device it ALWAYS goes to the HDTV Sat receiver in that room - but if you go back out to the C4 menu and choose a new channel (that's how the kids know how to change the channel (4 year old)) it is pure luck / random after that as to which Sat receiver it will pick next - sometimes it picks the modulated NTSC tuner, other times the HDTV HDMI connected one...

2) We STILL can't pick HDTV channels from a channel listing - I've been begging C4 to add this as even with DirecTV receivers, they still use the 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 etc... channel designation for HDTV channels - and we can't add those to the CHANNEL LISTING in Composer. :(

As for getting them to work??? Just click TV --> Channels and you'll see what you've listed there.

2) We STILL can't pick HDTV channels from a channel listing - I've been begging C4 to add this as even with DirecTV receivers, they still use the 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 etc... channel designation for HDTV channels - and we can't add those to the CHANNEL LISTING in Composer. :(

I don't understand what you mean here?

My locals are received through my HDtivo as channels 18.1, 27.1 and so on, I have them in my channels list and I can access them through the C4 interface just fine.

I found if a room has access to more than one Cable box or sat box, the fav's channels all show up on the on-screen for both boxes. What I did was to name the channels differently for each box(they can be the same channels).

I created a fav list for kit cable box, and another one for theatre cable box. For the theatre, I added (PVR) in front of each station name. When they show up in the fav listing, you now know which one it will control and switch to. In my kitchen, the LCD works great with this. You know if it say (PVR) HDTV, the LCD will switch to the PVR box and select the channel.

I hope this is what you guys meant.

Jamman

My locals are received through my HDtivo as channels 18.1, 27.1 and so on, I have them in my channels list and I can access them through the C4 interface just fine.

Are they cable, sat, or antenna? The problem is with antenna I think.

2) We STILL can't pick HDTV channels from a channel listing - I've been begging C4 to add this as even with DirecTV receivers' date=' they still use the 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 etc... channel designation for HDTV channels - and we can't add those to the CHANNEL LISTING in Composer. :(

My locals are received through my HDtivo as channels 18.1, 27.1 and so on, I have them in my channels list and I can access them through the C4 interface just fine.[/quote']

Are they cable, sat, or antenna? The problem is with antenna I think.

The digital channels i'm talking about are the over the air channels that my tivo receives with an antenna. I just manually entered them in with my directv channel list in Composer as channel 18-1 and so on. Then I had to tweak the tivo driver to make the - work, because it doesn't out of the box.

I found if a room has access to more than one Cable box or sat box, the fav's channels all show up on the on-screen for both boxes. What I did was to name the channels differently for each box(they can be the same channels).

I created a fav list for kit cable box, and another one for theatre cable box. For the theatre, I added (PVR) in front of each station name. When they show up in the fav listing, you now know which one it will control and switch to. In my kitchen, the LCD works great with this. You know if it say (PVR) HDTV, the LCD will switch to the PVR box and select the channel.

Jamman

I'm still confused as to how to "CHOOSE" which equipment to talk to - I'm unaware of anyway to do this. As I suggested above - I could program a channel 18.1 for an HDTV ATSC channel - and even label it that way - but there is no way to tell the TV's elsewhere in the house (that don't have HDTV or ATSC access / tuners) how to ignore it / not try to tune to those channels.

I found if a room has access to more than one Cable box or sat box' date=' the fav's channels all show up on the on-screen for both boxes. What I did was to name the channels differently for each box(they can be the same channels).

Jamman[/quote']

I'm still confused as to how to "CHOOSE" which equipment to talk to - I'm unaware of anyway to do this. As I suggested above - I could program a channel 18.1 for an HDTV ATSC channel - and even label it that way - but there is no way to tell the TV's elsewhere in the house (that don't have HDTV or ATSC access / tuners) how to ignore it / not try to tune to those channels.

For rooms with non-HDTVs you can add a second cable box driver to that room and give it the same IR binding that the cable box driver has in the HDTV room. (Two Cable Box Drivers for one physical cable box) Even though it is one physical cable box, Composer sees two cable boxes. Under Composer Media, you now have two Favorite Channels, create one for HDTV and the other non-HDTV. Now each room will have the right format channels for the type of TV.

I figured it out - didn't realize you could ADD another DirecTV media listing (I was trying in the Media Management tab) - but instead you add another DirecTV under System Design (Search --> Local Database --> DirecTV) and name it whatever - then you can do exactly what you're suggesting here! Thanks,

Shawn

I figured it out - didn't realize you could ADD another DirecTV media listing (I was trying in the Media Management tab) - but instead you add another DirecTV under System Design (Search --> Local Database --> DirecTV) and name it whatever - then you can do exactly what you're suggesting here! Thanks,

Shawn

Correct! Sometimes Composer will add the C4 DirectTV Media automatically and sometimes it does not. Glad to know you got it programmed.

Archived