C4 Forums | Control4

4K equipment

timelinex

I want to upgrade my theater room equipment to 4k. I assume all modern equipment is mostly compatible to be controlled by my EA5?

I know I need to change my projector, but do I need to change anything else?

Currently everything is running through a Marantz sr9600 AV receiver.

Also, any recommendations from you guys? It looks like the pickings for 4k projectors are a bit slim. Is there something coming out soon thats worth waiting for? 

Just now, timelinex said:

I want to upgrade my theater room equipment to 4k.

I know I need to change my projector, but do I need to change anything else?

Currently everything is running through a Marantz sr9600 AV receiver.

Also, any recommendations from you guys? It looks like the pickings for 4k projectors are a bit slim. Is there something coming out soon thats worth waiting for?

Depends on price. For true 4K I would recommend Sony VPL-385ES. If you're ok with 2k pixel shifting to have 4k effect Epson and Optima are good options. 

4 minutes ago, Neo1738 said:

Depends on price. For true 4K I would recommend Sony VPL-385ES. If you're ok with 2k pixel shifting to have 4k effect Epson and Optima are good options. 

Whats the difference between that one and the VPLVW295ES which is also expensive compared to other brands but also 2/3 the price of the 385.

Picture position memory.

Picture Position Memory stores your settings

Store lens, zoom, and shift settings for up to five screen formats for easy recall. Picture Position Memory remembers key settings so you can quickly watch movies in the ideal format. Match aspect ratios, including 16:9 and Cinemascope, and store these settings in the projector.

To get the best sound codecs you will want to pass the hdmi from your sources through the avr, and that avr was released in 2006 so it will not do 4k. A work around would be to get a hdmi switch to feed the projector and do toslink to the avr but it is not an ideal system design

Have you looked at this in real life?

HDR is harder to achieve well on a projector.

You are sitting far enough from the screen that this pixel count is technically less an issue.

By all means drop a lot of cash on new toys but confirm that the change in quality is sufficient.

Likely you want a new hdcp 2.2 compatible avr (cue Wapping)

I'd imagine that Sony unit is going to be night and day better than a 10+ yo projector regardless of pixel count and HDR etc.

I'd consider evaluating whether adding Atmos speakers would be worth it in your setup. It can add some wow factor and could be a deciding factor on which AVR you purchase.

Thank you for all the advice guys.

I've done a little more research and I have decided I will likely go with the Optoma UHD60. I don't have too much issue dropping the coin on a Sony if it was convincingly worth it. But I believe it won't be for me as most my content is 1080p anyways. Also, I think the 4k field is still being revolutionized and the difference between the Sony and Optoma isn't great enough to warrant the price, considering I will probably be better off replacing the optoma in a few years with whatever the new tech is versus keeping the Sony for longer.

Do you guys know which IR driver I will need to use for the Optoma? It doesn't look like there is a UHD60 driver in control4.

As far as replacing any other equipment goes, it sounds like I will be ok with my receiver? It should just passively pass the 4k video through even though it is before a time when 4k was even around in the consumer market?

Need to replace the avr if you're passing video through it on to the projector.  Otherwise, your projector will only ever receive 1080 max.

Like was said above, you can purchase a simple 4K HDMI switcher that has a discrete audio (optical/coaxial) output that you can then run to your existing AVR.  This adds a little more complexity to the wiring but the outcome should be the same.

I think you would find the UHD65 to be a better projector and worth the small price difference. If you are a gamer and game in this theater then the 60 would be better due to lower latency.

Check your potential alignment on the projector location and your screen. Both the 60 and 65 want the lens at lease a the same level as the top edge of the screen and not above.

1 hour ago, lippavisual said:

Need to replace the avr if you're passing video through it on to the projector.  Otherwise, your projector will only ever receive 1080 max.

Like was said above, you can purchase a simple 4K HDMI switcher that has a discrete audio (optical/coaxial) output that you can then run to your existing AVR.  This adds a little more complexity to the wiring but the outcome should be the same.

Hmm ok, any recommendations for a decent replacement for my Marantz receiver? What info do you need to make recommendations?

32 minutes ago, Pounce said:

I think you would find the UHD65 to be a better projector and worth the small price difference. If you are a gamer and game in this theater then the 60 would be better due to lower latency.

Check your potential alignment on the projector location and your screen. Both the 60 and 65 want the lens at lease a the same level as the top edge of the screen and not above.

I have looked at that and it seems there are pluses and minuses. I do game (but not too seriously). I THINK my projector position is OK, but the nice part of the UHD60 is that it is on Amazon.... So if it doesn't work out I can return it easily.

33 minutes ago, timelinex said:

Hmm ok, any recommendations for a decent replacement for my Marantz receiver? What info do you need to make recommendations?

Totally depends on your budget but you will not go far wrong with Denon. IP control and easy integration.

AVR-X3500H is a great Mid range performer.

38 minutes ago, timelinex said:

I have looked at that and it seems there are pluses and minuses. I do game (but not too seriously). I THINK my projector position is OK, but the nice part of the UHD60 is that it is on Amazon.... So if it doesn't work out I can return it easily.

Biggest piece of info for choosing your AVR would be how many zones of audio you have/plan to have. Anymore, the features between receivers is pretty similar (obviously with a few more bells and whistles at the high and, of course, more power), but you can't run 11 channels of audio off of a 7 channel receiver. Number of inputs required is also something to look at. Most will have plenty, but if you plan on hooking more than 6 devices in, some may not have the number of HDMI inputs you need. 

With that, I'll add another vote for Denon...been very happy with mine and integrates very well. That said, I think many of the brands work and integrate well so you have plenty of options. 

8500h!

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx8500h/denon-avr-x8500h-13.2-ch-x-150-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

2 hours ago, timelinex said:

the nice part of the UHD60 is that it is on Amazon.... So if it doesn't work out I can return it easily.

Visualapex has easy returns as well. I typically buy from them.

https://www.visualapex.com/Optoma/Projector-Specifications.asp?For-The=UHD65

The 65 has a better picture and smoother motion.

39 minutes ago, Pounce said:

They have 5% restocking fee and then charge you for shipping both ways, according to their policies. Very deceiving to have it advertised as "100% hassle free money back guarantee" and then in the last sentence explain the huge not so 100% money back. So nowhere near Amazons return policy of 100% back and many times they don't even make you pay for the label to ship back. Any not just that, but I don't have to email anyone explaining the situation and asking for an RMA. Few clicks of a button and it's on  it's way back. Amazon has got the customer service game figured out (but screws the sellers, ask me how I know). Not that I am planning on returning, but it is comforting knowing I can.

I own Amazon stock so thank you for your business, but do consider the 65. There are other sellers. Hate to think you are buying a lesser projector just because of Prime. VA does exchanges with no restock fee.

To be fair the statement is 100% Hassle free. Not 100% refund. i.e.

12 minutes ago, Pounce said:

I own Amazon stock so thank you for your business, but do consider the 65. There are other sellers. Hate to think you are buying a lesser projector just because of Prime. VA does exchanges with no restock fee.

To be fair the statement is 100% Hassle free. Not 100% refund. i.e.

Do you have direct experience between the 60 and 65? I read reviews and seems like it's only slightly better contrast, but has a lag for gaming. I'm not a crazy serious gamer, but no one likes lag. I just don't know how bad the lag is in real life and have no experience with it.

Yes, I have seen them both in person. The color, contrast and motion on the 65 are better. If you want a good image for movies the 65 is really that much better. If you just want a good projector and really aren't that fussy about the color and judder doesn't really both you then the 60 might make more sense to save a little money. I cant deal with judder and I don't game with a projector.

There are tons of comparison articles and videos out there comparing these two projectors. If you like this brand and these two projectors it's a personal choice based on cost and primary purpose.

Archived