C4 Forums | Control4

C4 and Apple TV

1 minute ago, tcwalker5 said:

Too bad we don't have WAP here to comment. 

I also have a dealer who has let me down numerous times despite being platinum status.  The incompetence and lack of follow through is astonishing.  I've found that once the initial install is complete (and all the profit has been made), the motivation for service is gone.  No money in maintenance calls, so not a priority anymore.  Shame.

And I should have added, this is why I'm thankful for this forum.  

8 hours ago, tcwalker5 said:

I also have a dealer who has let me down numerous times despite being platinum status.  The incompetence and lack of follow through is astonishing.  I've found that once the initial install is complete (and all the profit has been made), the motivation for service is gone.  No money in maintenance calls, so not a priority anymore.  Shame.

Years ago I almost walked away from Control4, as it was nearly impossible to find a dealer who was responsive. That said, I ended up working with a fairly new company. 10+ years later, the owner still finds a way to answer the random questions that pop up here and there. Based on buying only one remote and a lock over the last few years,  I doubt I'm profitable for him, but he still provides great service.  I'd like to make sure he's around for many more decades....so anyone looking for a Platinum Dealer in the Norther VA area, feel free to PM me for his contact.

10 hours ago, tcwalker5 said:

Platinum is based on sales volume.  Nothing about service/support.  If a dealer gets a contract with a developer who is building 500 townhomes and they pop in some EA1s with lighting as a "bundled package" that C4 dealer is going to be a gold or diamond or platinum dealer or something but all they did was install EA1s and lighting.  Its an example not always the norm.  

Best I could say (and I am proof that originally I did not listen to my own advice but I was naive to all home owner stuff back then because it was my first house) is get 2-3 proposals and ask to speak to references.  I've learned this less for all facets of home ownership.  If I want new garage doors I do not call one outfit, I'll call a few, get ideas/costs/proposals and ask maybe the top one for some references.  Good companies will give you references to call upon or maybe bring you to a spec house they are building so you can see their work.

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

Platinum is based on sales volume.  Nothing about service/support.  If a dealer gets a contract with a developer who is building 500 townhomes and they pop in some EA1s with lighting as a "bundled package" that C4 dealer is going to be a gold or diamond or platinum dealer or something but all they did was install EA1s and lighting.  Its an example not always the norm.  

Best I could say (and I am proof that originally I did not listen to my own advice but I was naive to all home owner stuff back then because it was my first house) is get 2-3 proposals and ask to speak to references.  I've learned this less for all facets of home ownership.  If I want new garage doors I do not call one outfit, I'll call a few, get ideas/costs/proposals and ask maybe the top one for some references.  Good companies will give you references to call upon or maybe bring you to a spec house they are building so you can see their work.

Not entirely true. Higher tiers of dealerships require more certifications and more trained techs on staff. Furthermore, deadbeats who don't support their existing customers will lose their status.

So, yes, it's not a foolproof method of judging a dealership, but it is USEFUL information.

On 3/11/2019 at 2:17 PM, Psykopup said:

I am having this issue with all ATV screensavers. I only use the Aerials and the built-in Apple Photos. A local installer set everything up for us and have not change any settings since before this issue started. They do not provide me access to C4's Composer... they want me to have to call them for help. $$$

@Mr. Daniel I will pass on your suggestions to the installer. Thank you.

I would hope that prior to you purchasing your Control4 system, it was explained to you that Composer software is not available to end-users. It is a "closed" system and only serviceable by certified programmers. It is a violation of a Dealer's agreement with Control4 to provide that to consumers or the public in general. While it's common for people to think its all about "$$$", I can tell you it's not. It's about trying to maintain quality and control of their product and its implementation. In other words, it's to prevent an untrained, self-proclaimed "programmer-gurus" from screwing up peoples systems and then blaming Control4 as a company. That is why all the other major control companies (ie...Crestron, Savant, Elan, etc.) do the exact same thing.

Secondly, depending on the "service agreement" you have with your specific dealer, if you have one. Most dealer's/programmers, do not have an obligation to update every system to the "current" OS at no charge. While it may not take a lot of time to update most systems, it is still billable labor. A company could spend 100's of man hours, depending on the number of installs they have done, rolling a truck to each system. And please, I know we can remotely access and start updates. But those of us that have done this long enough, know what can happen when you do that and it;s NOT a "best practice". The other thing to keep in mind is, you may have a device or driver that is not compatible with the next level of OS.

Lastly, Control4 with the last few versions of it's OS, have brought the consumer a lot of consumer level customizable options. Scene creation, event- based triggers, even some basic programming control. It is far better that the "old day's" and they continue to grow that area. I started in 2006, version 1.2.5 so I know what I am talking about. They'll get you going, like CY said "its not a major update"...it's not hard, just may be new to them. -- Jay   "JustJay"

@JustJay2 Some good information. My local installer was dropped into my lap. I purchased a new build and this company has a contract with the builder of all the homes in my community. They installed all the AV wiring while the homes are being built. In retrospect, I suppose I had an option to look for a different company, but a neighbor did just that and ended up with 2 companies pointing the finger at each other when something wasn't working.

That being said, I do need to find if I have a service agreement somewhere in all my paperwork. I'm just disappointed that I've had to do this much of my own research to resolve an issue I contacted them about. I asked them to update the IP driver. They said they updated it, but did not say they updated the older IP driver... which didn't even resolve my issue. They resorted to using an IR flasher, rather than doing some research on fixing this issue the right way.

This is our 2nd new build home. 14 years after our first one and it has been my personal experience, with most home service providers, more often than not, they are not able to do their jobs correctly the first time. (I won't even get into what the solar company did to our roof.)  That's all I want... companies to take their time to do their work right, the first time.

1 hour ago, Psykopup said:

This is our 2nd new build home. 14 years after our first one and it has been my personal experience, with most home service providers, more often than not, they are not able to do their jobs correctly the first time. (I won't even get into what the solar company did to our roof.)  That's all I want... companies to take their time to do their work right, the first time.

Boy do I feel you on this.  I've been through two new builds also and a basement finish project.  It sucks when you feel like you have to watch them and tell them not to do dumb stuff.  I could tell you some stories.  The other issue is they will treat you like you don't know what you are talking about as an excuse to do a piss poor job.  ok rant over.

I've also been through 4 or 5 dealers in my area and it is not fun.  Keep looking and changing dealers until you land on a good one.  Also there are some good remote dealers that are very helpful, if you can manage the wiring and install from your end.  @AK1 is who I use.  

as to the topic, my ATV has taken to randomly playing music and the screen saver has stopped working, so I'll be talking with my dealer about the drivers.  Hopefully we can resolve it, because it is annoying.  I like to fall asleep on the couch watching movies and lately i've been waking up in the middle of the night and there is the TV stuck on one screen.  Frustrating.

Why every single discussion turn to complains, dealer/end user relation, etc. please move these discussions a separate topic so we can focus on the issues we have with each topic ...

• 5 months later...
On 3/15/2019 at 1:17 AM, Amr said:

Why every single discussion turn to complains, dealer/end user relation, etc. please move these discussions a separate topic so we can focus on the issues we have with each topic ...

amr,

Please take the time to read the definition of "Forum", it is a place where people discuss issues, ideas or topics. If you are struggling for help, there is a better way to get help, but trolling here is not one of them. Can we get point deductions towards the "reputations"?

I think it is a disservice to grant people Control4 "status" badges based on # of posts, as it tends to give other people a false narrative, that they may actually "know" something.  They "new member" moniker on my avatar, does not convey in any way that I have been installing and programming Control4 since the OS 1.25 days. Oh that means 2005, for the "newer" guys. 

1 hour ago, JustJay2 said:

amr,

Please take the time to read the definition of "Forum", it is a place where people discuss issues, ideas or topics. If you are struggling for help, there is a better way to get help, but trolling here is not one of them. Can we get point deductions towards the "reputations"?

I think it is a disservice to grant people Control4 "status" badges based on # of posts, as it tends to give other people a false narrative, that they may actually "know" something.  They "new member" moniker on my avatar, does not convey in any way that I have been installing and programming Control4 since the OS 1.25 days. Oh that means 2005, for the "newer" guys. 

And it toke you 5 months to reply? Lame ...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.