C4 Forums | Control4

Apple Bridge

A little birdy (read - a friendly dealer) tells me that I should be very excited because there is a new version of the iOS app coming out this week and a new Apple driver (Apple Bridge) which will give much better integration between C4 and Apple TV.  Anyone know if this is true and what integration we are getting? I checked th App Store as soon as I heard this and nothing there yet...

I saw mention of this on one of the Control4 Facebook pages today. I have not had time to look into it yet.

Allegedly, it is supported on EA controllers only (EA acting as Director). Again, haven't looked into it anymore than 30 seconds of reading the Facebook post.

Little is new vs older drivers, but new driver control's the AppleTV 4K in the Apple Approved manner.

No it doesn't work with the HC series, must be EA (IPV6 support and other similar limitations)

6 hours ago, RAV said:

Little is new vs older drivers, but new driver control's the AppleTV 4K in the Apple Approved manner.

No it doesn't work with the HC series, must be EA (IPV6 support and other similar limitations)

That sounds like a step forward... I assume this will fix the issue of some commands not working inside apps.

Would be nice if it also gave (or leads to) mini apps, Apple Music integration etc.

I updated last night to 2.10.6 and noticed the driver update for my old Apple TV's said (Gen 1-3).  I did a quick driver search and saw the new Gen 4 & 4K driver, which I installed.  The driver automatically dropped in the Apple Bridge driver, and I started to read the documentation.  I have 2x 4K apple TVs (32GB and 64GB) and it was a little confusing to setup, but I followed the documented instructions step by step.

Something to keep in mind is that the very first steps listed are if you do NOT have the Apple TVs already setup.  If you do, you just need to make sure AirPlay is turned on and each Apple TV has it's own name (i.e. Parent's, Kids, Living Room, etc.)

Once I set up Apple Bridge Control on the Control4 iOS App, it added the Apple Bridge to the HomeKit stuff, and then each "remote" was the Apple TV.  Basically, it's a "next, next, next, done" procedure.

Afterwards, I selected which apple TV the driver was to control via the dropdown list within the driver, and it instantly started working.  No need to fiddle with network settings, etc. although my Apple TVs are already on a static IP.

The added customization to the remote (SR-260) was really nice, as now I have access to the "press and hold" features of the original remote, and I can customize them to just about any button.  I chose the RBYG buttons since they currently don't do anything.

Hopefully this helps some of you. 

Archived