C4 Forums | Control4

New Apple TV 4k IP driver out today

Just now, mallom said:

This!

Something something about security something that cant be implemented on HC controllers.

Right - it is all on Apple - but hey, come here and blame control4 half cocked and then you are on a beta OS - so clearly control4 should work on betas without issues....Look in the mirror...

Right - it is all on Apple - but hey, come here and blame control4 half cocked and then you are on a beta OS - so clearly control4 should work on betas without issues....Look in the mirror...

There is actually an official statement about why it doesnt work on HC controllers but I cant find it. If I do, I will update the thread.

15 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

It is the architect that apple requires to integrate.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

And they chose to only implement it in the EA driver less than 2 years after IP control for the current hardware was announced?  Not sure why that is on Apple?  I guess if somebody has a hard technical limitation on why the new iOS architecture would only support the EA based driver i would better understand. 

9 minutes ago, mallom said:

There is actually an official statement about why it doesnt work on HC controllers but I cant find it. If I do, I will update the thread.

Thanks that would at least make me feel less frustrated with the situation. 

I don't know if I ever saw an official announcement, but just think about it. The new driver is the new supported method from Apple. It requires the customer's iOS device to link to the iOS account. If you don't think Apple has a stranglehold over what can and can't support that... you're not paying attention.

Apple likes their walls around their garden. For better and for worse. Good security, frustrating third-party integration.

15 minutes ago, thegreatheed said:

I don't know if I ever saw an official announcement, but just think about it. The new driver is the new supported method from Apple. It requires the customer's iOS device to link to the iOS account. If you don't think Apple has a stranglehold over what can and can't support that... you're not paying attention.

Apple likes their walls around their garden. For better and for worse. Good security, frustrating third-party integration.

All of this is a fair point. And as a customer that may need to spend $2000 plus to buy a controller that supports additional vendor platforms it would be helpful to understand technically why certain features work on one controller and not the other.  If not, how and why would the concern about forced obsolescence not be fair?  

I’ll  take the grief for starting the convo early while still on beta, but are certain commenters going to shut down everyone else who has the same pain point when it leaves beta and they can’t control a current gen Apple product that was touted as a win in marketing in 2018?

Bringing back the thread...I had to reset my iOS and when I try to re-establish the connection between Apple TV and EA5, I get an "accessory not found" in the iOS Home app for the bridge. I have set up AppleTV correctly, The Airplay is in a room (appleTV shows up in Rack in IOS Home app). Tried deleting and replacing the Apple TV (Gen 4 and 4K)[IP] driver, but nothing works to get C4 to see the AppleTV. Can control fine with iOS Remote App. Any suggestions? Thanks

15 hours ago, thegreatheed said:

just a SWAG, but I would assume this is all about securing devices and the OS  more appropriately, especially as the OS changes/matures.

Remote controlling a device is a cyber nightmare in general. Yet we need access for C4 integration.

16 hours ago, mallom said:

Another SWAG, but based on the age of CPUs and development, maybe it has to do with 32bit vs 64bit compatibility????  

The apple environments have moved to a 64bit only way of life in the latest versions.

19 hours ago, sooner2k1 said:

All of this is a fair point. And as a customer that may need to spend $2000 plus to buy a controller that supports additional vendor platforms it would be helpful to understand technically why certain features work on one controller and not the other.  If not, how and why would the concern about forced obsolescence not be fair?  

I’ll  take the grief for starting the convo early while still on beta, but are certain commenters going to shut down everyone else who has the same pain point when it leaves beta and they can’t control a current gen Apple product that was touted as a win in marketing in 2018?

You could just use the IR driver.....there's an excellent one floating around the dealer forums and other places (free) that works great.

So when I updated to tvOS 13 a couple days ago I lost Control4 Connectivity. My C4 integration was done with the C4 driver that supports AppleTV v1 to v3. The newer C4 AppleTV driver v4 is now required for the ATV v4. I added the C4 v4 driver and the HouseLogix universal driver to make the audio connection and everything is working perfectly again. It was rather simple.

Was told the HC processors can't run/meet the security protocols that Apple's API requires, and that it's partly hardware not just software.

And Control4 has stated it only build's it's drivers to conform to the vendors specifications. So there will be no 'fix' from Control4.

This is Apple's doing, this is the way Apple wants collaboration to be done. As others have said; use IR there's a really good driver for that, tell Apple enough and switch brands, find an AppleTV 3 and hope Apple doesn't take those out too. But it's also apparent, if Apple doesn't update the 3 (which would break the old IP control) like they are the 4 with new software, then Apple's obsoleting all the 3s that are out there and leaving them behind.

12 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Apple TV is the least popular media player anyway

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

This very well may be true. However lets remember that just because we don't personally like something doesn't make that something any less of a viable option for someone else.

I think folks just get frustrated sometimes... The higher the cost of something the more frustration there is with planed obsolesces.  Yes I understand that technology moves on and not everything can be supported by everything.  The facts don't make it any less frustrating. For me personally I'm super fed up with all of it, phones, computers, etc. Its why I like audio so much, a good amp and or speakers are still a good amp and or speakers 5, 10, 15, 20+ years later, if taken care of.  

19 hours ago, RAV said:

Was told the HC processors can't run/meet the security protocols that Apple's API requires, and that it's partly hardware not just software.

And Control4 has stated it only build's it's drivers to conform to the vendors specifications. So there will be no 'fix' from Control4. 

This is Apple's doing, this is the way Apple wants collaboration to be done. As others have said; use IR there's a really good driver for that, tell Apple enough and switch brands, find an AppleTV 3 and hope Apple doesn't take those out too. But it's also apparent, if Apple doesn't update the 3 (which would break the old IP control) like they are the 4 with new software, then Apple's obsoleting all the 3s that are out there and leaving them behind.

Do you know the name/vendor for the IR driver?  Any one have input on how responsive it is?  Thanks!

21 hours ago, sooner2k1 said:

Do you know the name/vendor for the IR driver?  Any one have input on how responsive it is?  Thanks!

Jesse Smith's ATV IR driver link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwn3zp5m3bm61fq/Apple_TV_V4_EA.c4z?dl=0

It's everything you could want in an IR driver; no IP issues, software updates, lockups, more functions (press and hold wiggle, zoom scrolling, reboot), no pairing, Apple BS, change the device without loss of control..... and it's FREE!

On 7/3/2019 at 10:37 PM, cdepaola said:

This very well may be true. However lets remember that just because we don't personally like something doesn't make that something any less of a viable option for someone else.

I think folks just get frustrated sometimes... The higher the cost of something the more frustration there is with planed obsolesces.  Yes I understand that technology moves on and not everything can be supported by everything.  The facts don't make it any less frustrating. For me personally I'm super fed up with all of it, phones, computers, etc. Its why I like audio so much, a good amp and or speakers are still a good amp and or speakers 5, 10, 15, 20+ years later, if taken care of.  

Totally agree, I have a 15 yrs Denon amp driving a 22 yrs pair of KilpschHorns Speakers and the joy never stops ...

• 2 months later...
On 7/5/2019 at 9:34 AM, RAV said:

Jesse Smith's ATV IR driver link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwn3zp5m3bm61fq/Apple_TV_V4_EA.c4z?dl=0

It's everything you could want in an IR driver; no IP issues, software updates, lockups, more functions (press and hold wiggle, zoom scrolling, reboot), no pairing, Apple BS, change the device without loss of control..... and it's FREE!

There is nothing there?

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone post a working link to Jesse Smith's ATV IR driver? The current ir driver in the c4 database is almost completely worthless. Play and pause don't work. 

Also, anyone have any thoughts on if we're going to get new c4 controllers in January? HCs were released 2012, EAs in 2016, so maybe some new ones in beginning of 2020? Trying to decide whether its worth it to upgrade at the moment, or if I should just sit tight.

Thanks in advance for the driver link.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.