C4 Forums | Control4

The camera question

ILoveControl

Question

Hi all, 

This is a slightly different question to the usual which camera should I use with C4. It is more of a with your experience which camera should I buy for the need below:

I am fortunate enough to live in an area that has a huge game farm about 60m from my house. I wanted to put a camera up that can give me a view of the animals that roam around in the game farm. The animals can be anything from a 100m to 500m out. 

Now while that sounds daunting I am not wanting to see each hair on the animal in high def, rather just be able to see what type of animal it is and enjoy the view. 

So the real question is around experience and knowledge - anyone know which camera I could be looking at? I have googled things like best POE camera with zoom, Camera for far distances POE etc and they keep coming up with a 5MP 4k : https://reolink.com/product/rlc-423/ 

I cant find a decent youtube or example of how the actual zoom is in actual distance, lots of bear at front door or dear on front porch but nothing as per my example above.

3 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, ILoveControl said:

Hi all, 

This is a slightly different question to the usual which camera should I use with C4. It is more of a with your experience which camera should I buy for the need below:

I am fortunate enough to live in an area that has a huge game farm about 60m from my house. I wanted to put a camera up that can give me a view of the animals that roam around in the game farm. The animals can be anything from a 100m to 500m out. 

Now while that sounds daunting I am not wanting to see each hair on the animal in high def, rather just be able to see what type of animal it is and enjoy the view. 

So the real question is around experience and knowledge - anyone know which camera I could be looking at? I have googled things like best POE camera with zoom, Camera for far distances POE etc and they keep coming up with a 5MP 4k : https://reolink.com/product/rlc-423/ 

I cant find a decent youtube or example of how the actual zoom is in actual distance, lots of bear at front door or dear on front porch but nothing as per my example above.

I am sure you'll get some advice here no doubt.  But for all cam things related, I usually head over https://ipcamtalk.com/ - its a dedicated forum of IP camera enthusiasts to say the least.  lots of reviews, photo samples, chat about various models, etc

3 hours ago, ILoveControl said:

Hi all, 

Wow. Those things are cheap for the feature set. Nice find.

But...

All Reolink security cameras work with Reolink NVRs ONLY.

Archived