C4 Forums | Control4

How to Play different audio and video sources in same room

tcwalker5

Question

I thought I would be able to do this by using watch and then listen.  But it didn't seem to work.

I want to use airplay screen mirroring to show a slideshow and meanwhile play airplay from someone's phone with Apple Music in same room.  And then repeat that in other rooms as well.

How can I do this?

8 answers to this question

Based on that select an appletv as the watch source in the room, then using the app or remote (not on screendisplay since it will change thte video source) select shairbridge in the room. Airplay mirror your phone or macbook to an appletv then using another phones apple music and shairbridge to the c4 controller connected to your audio matrix sounds like it will accomplish your goal

22 hours ago, tcwalker5 said:

I thought I would be able to do this by using watch and then listen.  But it didn't seem to work.

I want to use airplay screen mirroring to show a slideshow and meanwhile play airplay from someone's phone with Apple Music in same room.  And then repeat that in other rooms as well.

How can I do this?

I have a room in my house where the TV audio is fed back to my C4 audio matrix. My video is all local, but I think I've accomplished what you're going for here before. Start the video you want on your TV (Apple TV as the source in this case). Then use your other phone to start an audio scene in another room with Apple music via Shairbridge/Airplay (I use my kitchen because it's part of the same big open space). Once you've done that, you'll have two active AV scenes in C4. In the app, just add your TV room to your audio room/scene in the C4 app. That should leave the video selection unchanged, but now your Apple Music will be playing through the speakers from the other room's scene. 

I've done this before when we are hosting people and want music playing but may also want a sports game on the TV and still want the music to be the audio in that room. Figured this may help if the method @sonic30101 supplied didn't work or may give you another option to try and see which is easier.  

36 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

I'm not sure why you have to start it in the kitchen then join the other room to the session. Seems like an unnecessary step.

Yeah, it probably would be if you only wanted the music in one room. The OP seemed to want the music in multiple rooms though. From my experience, if that's the case, just start the music  in another room and add the video room to the audio scene--video stays on the TV and you have all your rooms playing music with no additional steps (have to add the rooms anyway after all). He's already planning on using two iPhones for this so I decoupled the audio and video tasks in my mind anyway. 

I may have misunderstood his question though. If one room at a time, your method would likely be the way to go. 

Archived