C4 Forums | Control4

Determine If Something Is Active In Room

Creeksox

Question

I have a scheduler/media zone/programming already working that randomly selects from pre-defined list of spotify/pandora playlist to play at 4PM every weekday for some "welcome home" ambiance.  My better half loves it.

Question I have for all you experts.  Whats the cleanest approach to determine if something/anything (TV, audio, etc.) is already active in a given room or zone.  I looked at standard room variables and none seemed to be what I need.  I thought about using room volume variable but that seemed goofy.  Actually pretty simple - I want the playlist to fire at 4PM ever weekday UNLESS something is already active in any of the zones the music plays in.  If  I have the day off,  the kids are home from school in the summer, wife is home already watching TV, etc.

Hope this makes sense.  Is there a boolean to check for "Room on".  Fairly new to all this so pretty sure I'm missing something  stupid simple.

5 answers to this question

Thanks Cyknight!

I had seen the power state variable.  but when I read the description (below) in C4 docs it didn't sound like what I was looking for.  I interpreted the description as an event that triggers if any device in the room changes power state - but it would probably  work as well.  Moreover, I completely missed the obvious "Room On" conditional because I had the room variable highlighted in the composer tree control, rather than the room itself.  I figured this had to be somewhere, thanks!  Already inserted the check and works great.

From C4 docs.

POWER STATE Lets you do programming when any device’s power state changes from True to False in the room (read only). A device in the room is required to detect the power state.

Archived