C4 Forums | Control4

Using Hulu Live TV + room off to stop stream

eggzlot

So I am cutting the cord and starting to use Hulu for Live TV.  If I just do “Room Off” Hulu keeps running in the background.

If using Roku - the ”menu” will take me to the menu of Roku, leaves hulu and stops the stream.  Cancel, wait 3 seconds, cancel again will take me to the hulu menu, also stopping the stream

Problem is I have both a Roku and AFT, using Hulu on both so we can have 2 streams at once (living in a household of just 2 people so this works for us).  These are both in a video matrix.

So if I do “Room off” programming either based on the state of the room or using the room control driver, I need to do it based on what was the last selection in the room.  I cannot send a command to both because what if the wife turned off her Hulu stream but I am watching hulu on the other device in another room - I do not want it to stop what I am watching

Hope this makes sense - looking for a conditional like “if last source was...” because I would assume once “room off” is pressed then there is no current source being selected?  

Anyone have an elegant way to accomplish this task?

Dont know if the option is available in HE but under system design highlight roku, mine is set to send "home" command on power off. This stops my hulu stream or what ever is streaming. If you dont have this option with HE a simple command when room off is received push home on roku. 

13 hours ago, alf1096 said:

Dont know if the option is available in HE but under system design highlight roku, mine is set to send "home" command on power off. This stops my hulu stream or what ever is streaming. If you dont have this option with HE a simple command when room off is received push home on roku. 

I guess I am not even sure if my Roku turns off, it may be on 24x7.  I mean right now Fing detects it as online but no one is home and I checked this morning and there was no stream.  So not sure I can program on powering off the Roku.  The "properties" of the Roku driver does say "on power off - home" which should stop the stream.  That was updated just yesterday.

I tried under picking a particular room then doing room off in the "events" box under programming and also with the room control driver.  But again I figured the logic was by the time this triggered there would be no content attached to that room?

Furthemore, what if I am watching Hulu/Roku in 1 room and wife is watching Hulu/AFT in another room, I'd want discrete commands so if she goes to bed/turns off TV nothing happens to my viewing. 

E, the Roku is typically an always powered ON device.  On room Power OFF= Home screen, it does just that, sends the Home command to Roku for the main screen view.  So if you're watching Hulu and press room off (C4), it should send the Home (roku) command and stop streaming Hulu, and the rest of your devices in the room shut off, like usual.

Same goes for the AFTV, if using IRUSB device.

Since the Hulu app resides on both devices, they shouldn't affect each other at all.

In your example, if you were watching Roku and wife using AFTV, nothing would happen in her room.

Now if you both were watching Hulu on the Roku in separate rooms and you pressed your room off, everything should still be fine for your wife because C4 knows that your wife is watching Roku, so shouldn't issue any commands to go home or anything.

35 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

E, the Roku is typically an always powered ON device.  On room Power OFF= Home screen, it does just that, sends the Home command to Roku for the main screen view.  So if you're watching Hulu and press room off (C4), it should send the Home (roku) command and stop streaming Hulu, and the rest of your devices in the room shut off, like usual.

Same goes for the AFTV, if using IRUSB device.

Since the Hulu app resides on both devices, they shouldn't affect each other at all.

In your example, if you were watching Roku and wife using AFTV, nothing would happen in her room.

Now if you both were watching Hulu on the Roku in separate rooms and you pressed your room off, everything should still be fine for your wife because C4 knows that your wife is watching Roku, so shouldn't issue any commands to go home or anything.

last part about us both watching same device in diff rooms answers the questions.  I saw that setting on the Roku to go on room off send command to home.  I am controlling the AFT via IRUSB via Alan's driver.  There is a room off after X amount of time but nothing about sending the AFT to the main menu to ensure a stream is shut off.

Archived