C4 Forums | Control4

Cameras

11 hours ago, twmoonly said:

what nvr are you using and model cameras?

DS-2CD2132F-I - Works with T3 Touchscreen and App (iPhone)

DS-2CD2142FWD-I - Works with T3 Touchscreen, does not work with App (iPhone) 

NVR - DS-7616NI-K2/16P

We use the C4 Drivers for the cameras to show within Control4 

I use Blue Iris and Not Control 4 for all of my cameras and I have 15.

Here is why -

1. it is less than $50.00

2. it works with all IP cameras that expose their IP address.

3. you can see all cameras easily on your phone as well as your monitor

4. easily configured

5. you can get emails

6. watch real time any time

7. supports all features of the cameras

Now - When I tried to get this into Control 4 -

1. interface issues

2. only certain cameras supported

3. cannot see anything immediately - the TV has to come on and warm up - if you are watching TV this can be irritating as well

I would be interested in hearing why someone feels that putting cameras into Control 4 is a good or helpful idea?

Thanks

Bill

31 minutes ago, TexasBill said:

I use Blue Iris and Not Control 4 for all of my cameras and I have 15.

Here is why -

1. it is less than $50.00

2. it works with all IP cameras that expose their IP address.

3. you can see all cameras easily on your phone as well as your monitor

4. easily configured

5. you can get emails

6. watch real time any time

7. supports all features of the cameras

Now - When I tried to get this into Control 4 -

1. interface issues

2. only certain cameras supported

3. cannot see anything immediately - the TV has to come on and warm up - if you are watching TV this can be irritating as well

I would be interested in hearing why someone feels that putting cameras into Control 4 is a good or helpful idea?

Thanks

Bill

I agree.  cameras/blue iris is the only other app I use.  after some updates a few weeks ago my cameras in C4 went missing again.  Its always an issue.  Blue iris works and its faster to load, etc.

It is said that a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.

I read that to mean that forcing everything into Control 4 just for the sake of it is not rational. If control4 gives an advantage great!

I once had a client that wanted their software to keep track of how many times their staff got on the phone. (I do pharmacy software - it is not connected to the phone)

I said - we can charge you a lot of money or you can simply put a pad of paper by the phone and when your staff pick up the phone make a tick mark and at the end of the day count the tick marks.  Go with the best , fastest, most easily supported method of what you are needing. Control 4 does not offer me any advantages that I am aware of - I am willing to hear however.

Bill

just make sure whatever NAS you pick is flexible to use various cameras and not just for that manufacture.  Different cameras are used for different reasons.  In my house I have 4 different vendors of cameras because they all fill a unique situation.  If my NVR was locked down to 1 brand it would be a pain.

1 hour ago, LollerAgent said:

Yeah - not for me.  I'd rather have a purpose built 1U NVR or something that doesn't require Windows.

though I am not a huge windows guy - you can buy a refurbished Dell Optiplex or the HP EliteDesk for not too much.  My WinPC is basically for BI and Composer HE.  Put it on a shelf in my rack and off I go.  Using Windows to run the software you could also record to a NAS as well.  Just trying to help think outside the box.

4 hours ago, eggzlot said:

though I am not a huge windows guy - you can buy a refurbished Dell Optiplex or the HP EliteDesk for not too much.  My WinPC is basically for BI and Composer HE.  Put it on a shelf in my rack and off I go.  Using Windows to run the software you could also record to a NAS as well.  Just trying to help think outside the box.

There is also a Blue Iris driver for Control 4 as well. I saw it recently.

50 minutes ago, TexasBill said:

There is also a Blue Iris driver for Control 4 as well. I saw it recently.

Yep I have the paid one

I use it to have diff cameras record based on various alarm states

but I have issues seeing cameras in the c4 navigator 

I have blue iris and it’s also integrated into C4. I would hate to have to open a separate app to look at cameras.  That’s why I have control 4, to have one interface to control things. Now if it’s not working correctly then that’s another issue, but it’s worked fine for me. Navigators on TV or touchscreens have been solid.  I did have some issues on my iOS devices but the last c4 app update did fix that. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.