C4 Forums | Control4

Small TV with IP/SDDP Control

LollerAgent

Question

I need a new small ~27" TV for my bathroom which ideally has IP/SDDP control.  Any suggestions?  I typically use either Sony or Vizio but didn't know if there was a better option for this size.  Don't really want to spend a ton of money on it.

10 answers to this question

Just now, LollerAgent said:

Yeah - Sony definitely doesn't.  I guess that leaves Vizio/LG or Samsung maybe?

Looks like Vizio has a D-Series 24" that has SmartCast (thus would work with the Annex4 driver) but no 27".. would prefer one slightly larger.  

You would have to jump to the 32" Vizio.

Bonus would be a built in OTA tuner that I could extract the audio out of back into my WHA matrix.

Thinking of a scenario like this:

Hit the "Good morning" button on the bathroom keypad

TV turns on, tunes to OTA NBC (even more complicated would be to launch a Fire Stick, start the Dish Network app, tune to channel X)

Audio return from TV back to my WHA matrix to play on the in-ceiling speakers located in the bathroom

I guess for this to work, the TV would have to have an OTA tuner and it would have to have an audio out.  Am I missing anything?

This isn't EXACTLY what your asking for - but here's my setup and why I use it

Equipment:
I use a TCL 27" with Roku built in.
ZigBee to IR Velcro'd to the back
Haystack App

Programming:
schedule set to fire "on" the TCL at 6:45am
Bathroom lights on at 7:00am

So here's what happens for me in my master bathroom. The TCL TV comes on and then in (7:00am) 15 minutes of no activity on the TV, the "Haystack" app takes over on it's own. That's a custom newsfeed app with clips and local news including weather.

18 hours ago, Kahn said:

This isn't EXACTLY what your asking for - but here's my setup and why I use it

Equipment:
I use a TCL 27" with Roku built in.
ZigBee to IR Velcro'd to the back
Haystack App

Programming:
schedule set to fire "on" the TCL at 6:45am
Bathroom lights on at 7:00am

So here's what happens for me in my master bathroom. The TCL TV comes on and then in (7:00am) 15 minutes of no activity on the TV, the "Haystack" app takes over on it's own. That's a custom newsfeed app with clips and local news including weather.

This seems like a pretty solid solution.  I'm not super familiar with how the IR would work.. do you have to write a custom driver for the TCL TV?  

Are there any downsides to controlling any TV like this vi IR vs a TV that is controlled via IP or has native support via a driver?

Super easy. It just works. I wanted something simple that "showed" me the news I was interested in hearing in the morning. I didn't see the sense in spending a bunch of cash or jumping thru integration hoops on something that was only on for 45 minutes a day.

There is a driver out there for the Roku (paid and free). Will show mini-apps as well (Netflix etc.) on the touchscreens and mobile app. There's a custom driver I got from these forums a little bit ago for the TCL with Roku but I never could get the "on" or "off" to work with it. Z2IR works like a charm tho. I don't have any downsides and I'm sure I'm not using the driver for everything it's capable of. The IR is for "on" and "off" programming only. I have the TV off at 7:45 when I'm out of the bathroom and getting in my car for work. TCL TV was dirt cheap ($120 I think), Z2IR was an eBay snag at $30, and Haystack is free. I can say it serves my needs way beyond my expectations. I recommend Haystack to everyone I know.

Do you use the paid or free Roku driver?  This driver only controls the Roku functionality of the TV, not power on/off/volume/etc, correct?  So - I would still need to use that TCL driver that is floating around these forums it sounds like.

Archived