C4 Forums | Control4

Understanding EA5 Audio Zones

ILoveControl

Question

Hi all,

Just trying to check my understanding of the EA5 audio Zones as well as a possible configuration. 

So basically it has Coax Input and Stereo Inputs and their respective outputs.

DIGITAL AUDIO—Two digital coax audio input and two output ports. Allows audio to be shared (IN 1 or 2) over the local network to other Control4 devices. Outputs audio (OUT 1 or 2) shared from other Control4 devices or from digital audio sources (local media or digital streaming services such as TuneIn.)

ANALOG AUDIO—Two stereo audio input and two output ports. Allows audio to be shared (IN 1 or 2) over the local network to other Control4 devices. Outputs audio (OUT 1 or 2) shared from other Control4 devices or from digital audio sources (local media or digital streaming services such as TuneIn.)

So the normal services TunedIn, Spotify, Amazon Music etc -

Question: Would I add the driver for these and bind them to the relevant outputs on the EA5?

1. I assume the outputs have no power and you would still have to send the outputs to some sort of receiver or Multi Room to be able to play on say in wall or ceiling speakers? 

2. My experiance with Spotify on C4 has been terrible. My understanding is that you choose Spotify from your navigator based on the room you in you would have bound that to an output on the EA5 as well as the receiver (if needed) and then the streaming would commence to that zone?

The last time I usd Spotify on the navigators it was a clunky navigation experience. Have they fixed it to bw able to see your songs playlist and search?

on TunedIn can I save specific stations and have something similar to the channels list you have for DishNetwork. So when I go to the stations it shows say One Two and Three which are the three stations I saved or fav’ed and if I select those based on the room I am in and the bindings it will play over the connected sepakers?

thank you as usual for the time taken to help me understand this.

3 answers to this question

1. Yes. You have to assign the connection for each output with composer. The connected source (end point) must have an amplifier, and a digital input for the coax, or rca for the analog signals.

2. You select spotify (or any other music source available in c4) on your EA5 in the room you want the music to play in. The room must have an amplifier that is conneced to the EA5 both in composer, and with cables. If you have multiple zones connected to the EA5, you can play different music from different sources in each of the connected rooms. Or you can play the same music in all of them. Its quite simple actually. I believe the spotify driver is the same Spotify Connect app as in "everything else". This means that you can not search for songs in C4, but you can add playlists that can be saved as favorites.

6 minutes ago, Singularity said:

1. Yes. You have to assign the connection for each output with composer. The connected source (end point) must have an amplifier, and a digital input for the coax, or rca for the analog signals.

2. You select spotify (or any other music source available in c4) on your EA5 in the room you want the music to play in. The room must have an amplifier that is conneced to the EA5 both in composer, and with cables. If you have multiple zones connected to the EA5, you can play different music from different sources in each of the connected rooms. Or you can play the same music in all of them. Its quite simple actually. I believe the spotify driver is the same Spotify Connect app as in "everything else". This means that you can not search for songs in C4, but you can add playlists that can be saved as favorites.

Thank you @Singularity that explains it!

Archived