C4 Forums | Control4

GA

GSA

Question

I have recently switched internet to Frontier and am experiencing dead zones.  What do I have to do if anything to the Control 4 system to add access points or additional WIFI extenders?  Any recommendations on products?

12 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, Amr said:

This has nothing to do with C4, you extend your WiFi Network outside C4 with anything like Mesh WiFi, Ubiquity, etc.

Well....C4 itself indeed doesn't have a direct affect on this in any way, but extending wifi may affect how well C4 works. Assuming your dealer set up the network, they'd be best suited to see how to improve upon it.

I have no issue with this, it’s just overwhelming task if you outsource your entire setup to a dealer, one need to make sure he will be committed to fix all these issues, respond moderately to future demands, be around and in Business!

I built my entire setup myself, just brought C4 dealar for programming and integration only, let me tell you we only have one dealer in the entire country, so go figure ...

2 hours ago, Amr said:

I have no issue with this, it’s just overwhelming task if you outsource your entire setup to a dealer, one need to make sure he will be committed to fix all these issues, respond moderately to future demands, be around and in Business!

I built my entire setup myself, just brought C4 dealar for programming and integration only, let me tell you we only have one dealer in the entire country, so go figure ...

IF your dealer DIDNT set it up the above comment wouldn't count anyway, now would it 😄

Biggest point is that EXTENDERS (ie AP that are NOT hardwired to the main network), be they in a mesh or not, are NOT recommended in a C4 installation (or, really, any installation using ZigBee).

They may be fine....they may not be.

12 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Biggest point is that EXTENDERS (ie AP that are NOT hardwired to the main network), be they in a mesh or not, are NOT recommended in a C4 installation (or, really, any installation using ZigBee).

My dealer is trying to get me to buy the extenders below ??

https://www.pakedge.com/products/wireless/

He was going to Use POE to power them - His he wrong ?

PoE is still hardwired. A device that is (or is being used) as a wifi extender. SHOULD mean a device that connects to a wireless network (as in connects to the wireless signal), then rebroadcasts that network.

Also called repeaters, sometimes boosters, technically the term is extenders.

I'm aware this can be confusing, as it's grammatically true that a wired AP can be used to 'extend' the range of a network...not to mention that the term is often mis-used on a lot of consumer products (ie, a network over power AP, is NOT an extender in technical terms, but the box will often say it's oone, or states it extends your network wirelessly.

For my point, let's quantify that any wireless REPEATER - any devices that first connects to the wifi network, then re-broadcasts that same signal, is not supported by C4. This because they can incidentally repeat wifi broadcasts themselves (potentially causing repeat packets) and accidentally re-broadcast zigbee signals as well. Both of which can cause issues.

Not common to be an issue, but I've seen it happen myself. Commands sent from a phone execute multiple times, toggle button presses on keypads will turn a light on, then back off again. That sort of fun stuff.

Reality is, that if weird issues start appearing when controlling/using the system (the ghost in the machine thing, lights seeming randomly turning on or off, channels randomly changing, even TVs weirdly turning off) COULD be traced back to this, so any troubleshooting can mean shutting these down, possibly for long periods of time for irregular issues.

So instead of possibly taking down a wifi setup for days or even longer, the advice is to use an alternative method of creating proper coverage rather then a 'repeating' setup.

Archived