C4 Forums | Control4

Question for those with distributed audio and video

In my current home I use in-ceiling speakers for listening to music or announcements and that’s it. The audio associated with video  just goes through TV speakers or a sound bar. 

I’m building a new home and leaning towards having the videos audio go through the in ceiling speakers (in every room except the theater). I’ve got in-wall subs spec’d for the great room and living room as well. 

My question is for anyone who is doing this...how do you like it. Is it weird having the videos audio come from above? This isn’t for critical movie watching/listening...just watching the TV in the living room or bedroom. Would love any input you can provide. 

I use in ceiling speakers for video sound in all my 'non primary video watching' rooms.  Kitchen, kids bedrooms, laundry room, bathroom, garage, etc.  The kitchen is the only room that we'll watch TV for an extended time while cooking or eating.  I like having the sound coming from above, as you can move around the room and the sound volume/quality stays pretty consistent.  I have 5.1 surround sound amplifiers wired to in wall speakers in areas that we watch TV for longer durations - master bedroom, family room, office.  The theater has full 9.2 surround.

16 minutes ago, zaphod said:

When you have 5.1 speakers in a room how is the audio connected?  Do you use a local source or is the source in central location?

I'm doing local AVR's for 5.1+ zones, but send outputs and inputs from the local AVR's back to my WHA matrix so that a) the 5.1 zone can be used as a WHA zone b) local AVR sources can be used in WHA matrix.

Central location for the 5.1.  I had all the speakers wired back to the rack, which I figured would give me the most flexibility down the road. 

I have 10' ceilings in the kitchen and laundry room, 12-14' ceilings in the bedrooms and master bath.  

I personally hate the TV audio coming through the ceiling speakers.

A Soundbar Mounted under the TV is a much better way of doing things in my opinion.

The Sony HT-CT800 is really cheap, sounds great, has a wireless subwoofer and integrates seamlessly with C4 via SDDP.

I must say, I moved to in-ceiling speakers (5.2) and found it to be a big improvement in the lounge off our bedroom. Ceiling is low (about 8 feet). I wouldn’t do this for a theater setup but for anything else, this is the way to go in my view.

In our main home, this is distributed from a central location and in our beach house, this is done via a local AVR.  Both work great.

Archived