C4 Forums | Control4

Confused about audio sources

alfa

Question

Hi,

end user here  trying to get the concept clear in my own head before approaching my dealer. The more I read the more confused I seem to get!

My current system consists of an HC800 & HC300 in the rack centrally, as well as an HC200 and HC250 locally behind 2 different screens. I have an AMC Digital H.O.M.E. X86i, which I presume is some form of audio matrix, as well as amplifier (I can’t seem to find out much information about it on the web)?

My system is still on a version of 2.6.

I have six separate audio zones & would like the possibility of playing at least 4 different streams concurrently. (I also have a wireless music bridge - does it matter whether this is wired straight into the amp, ie centrally, or into the HC250, as it is now?) At present I can’t seem to play more than 1 at a time. Presumably this is to do with the way the audio outputs are wired into the X86?

Should I be able to get 4 different streams playing concurrently based on my existing hardware or do I need to change anything? The HC800 has 2 analogue audio outputs so these should go into the X86 providing the ability for 2 separate streams, no? Does Shairbridge on the HC800 (I realise the OS will need updating) provide for multiple virtual streams or am I still limited to the 2 hard-wired outputs?

Is it worth scrapping the HC300 and relocating the HC250 centrally to be able to use its audio output? (I don’t use the onscreen GUI so I should probably scrap the HC200 also) Is there any merit in replacing either of these with an EA1 given I don’t use the onscreen GUI?  I believe the HC200 is primarily acting as a Zigbee extender upstairs (and utilising a single IR to control the TV but this could be done over Cat6).

I had been looking at something like the Autonomic MMS-5a but I’m not sure if it’s overkill if I can do what I want with the equipment I already have, although I do like the way it integrates everything together.

Thanks a lot for answering several questions in one!

Pete

12 answers to this question

So moving the HC250 and Wireless Media Bridge to the rack would then provide me with 4 physical outputs, the WMB obviously being limited to Airplay/DLNA (range of Bluetooth means this option is no longer a possibility). 

Does Shairbridge work on the HC250 as well, provided the OS version is sufficient?

What would the merits of adding an additional C4 controller, e.g. EA-5 (or even a 2nd hand HC-800) instead of something like the Autonomic MMS-5a or Denon HEOS Superlink be?

Thanks for answers so far...

When I was looking up a C4 leaflet regarding the differences between the different controllers it did mention Shairbridge is available on the HC250 "as a secondary controller only" - does this mean it's being transferred from the HC800 over the network? EA-1 Performance Comparison

17 minutes ago, mstafford388 said:

As for your second question if you are happy with the music services available through a control4 controller i would highly recommend using a controller for audio vs a 3rd party integration.  

Would you suggest a 2nd HC800 or EA5 in this case, as the EA3 only has 1 analogue out, rather than a multisource pre-amp, such as the Autonomic MMS-5a / Denon HEOS Superlink / NAD CI580 - I would only be using it for audio purposes so would an additional master controller not be overkill? (the rest of my system is quite light - maybe 20 lighting zones, in addition to distributed audio + video - there is no security / climate / relays etc)

I suppose I could use some form of DAC to convert the digital coax from the HC800, giving me 3 outputs from it? Any recommendations?

What about the siting of the WMB?

You could Install minimum a HC800 and run latest software 2.10.6, therefore giving you a C4-Sharebridge driver in each Zone on the system, giving you Airplay functionality for different Audio Zones up to 19 I think is the limit. Also with this software level you could add Spotify Connect driver in the same way to create Spotify Audio Zones if you just wanted to send direct from Smartphone or tablet running Spotify App.

Then you could add a Single Stereo Amplifier (C4 Speaker Point) to each Zone. The Audio Matrix function would then be done via the HC800 Director & streamed Audio would go over the network to each Zone.

That way you can have different Audio in different Zones and/or combine Zones to play the same source etc.

You could Install minimum a HC800 and run latest software 2.10.6, therefore giving you a C4-Sharebridge driver in each Zone on the system, giving you Airplay functionality for different Audio Zones up to 19 I think is the limit. Also with this software level you could add Spotify Connect driver in the same way to create Spotify Audio Zones if you just wanted to send direct from Smartphone or tablet running Spotify App.

Then you could add a Single Stereo Amplifier (C4 Speaker Point) to each Zone. The Audio Matrix function would then be done via the HC800 Director & streamed Audio would go over the network to each Zone.

That way you can have different Audio in different Zones and/or combine Zones to play the same source etc.

I realise you already have a HC800, so no problems there, you just need to update maybe to 2.10.6 (latest) to get the Sharebridge (Airplay) & Spotify drivers.

If you go down the route of adding Speaker Points to the system to replace the Matrix device you have, they don't have to be located in each Zone, but they do need to be Network connected via LAN, but they could be located in the area of your Rack, I guess your governed by where the Speaker Cable ends are located.

An alternative to this Network Distributed Audio would be a Audio Matrix and Separate Amplifier or combined Matrix Amplifier. Audio Matrix Switch (C4-16S2-E-B or C4-16ZAMS-V3-B) connected to a Separate Multi Channel Amplifier (C4-AMP108) or a Multichannel Matrix Amp (C4-16AMP3-B) for example.

The HC800 has 2 Stereo Analogue Audio outputs, but it also has 1 Digital Coax Output, so in theory if you get a simple Digital to Analogue converter (look on amazon for this) you then have 3 separate Audio outputs to feed into a matrix.

Possibly the HDMI output may be able to be redefined in the same way if you needed 4 different Audio outputs.

On 4/11/2019 at 7:16 AM, alfa said:

Hi,

end user here  trying to get the concept clear in my own head before approaching my dealer. The more I read the more confused I seem to get!

My current system consists of an HC800 & HC300 in the rack centrally, as well as an HC200 and HC250 locally behind 2 different screens. I have an AMC Digital H.O.M.E. X86i, which I presume is some form of audio matrix, as well as amplifier (I can’t seem to find out much information about it on the web)?

My system is still on a version of 2.6.

I have six separate audio zones & would like the possibility of playing at least 4 different streams concurrently. (I also have a wireless music bridge - does it matter whether this is wired straight into the amp, ie centrally, or into the HC250, as it is now?) At present I can’t seem to play more than 1 at a time. Presumably this is to do with the way the audio outputs are wired into the X86?

Should I be able to get 4 different streams playing concurrently based on my existing hardware or do I need to change anything? The HC800 has 2 analogue audio outputs so these should go into the X86 providing the ability for 2 separate streams, no? Does Shairbridge on the HC800 (I realise the OS will need updating) provide for multiple virtual streams or am I still limited to the 2 hard-wired outputs?

Is it worth scrapping the HC300 and relocating the HC250 centrally to be able to use its audio output? (I don’t use the onscreen GUI so I should probably scrap the HC200 also) Is there any merit in replacing either of these with an EA1 given I don’t use the onscreen GUI?  I believe the HC200 is primarily acting as a Zigbee extender upstairs (and utilising a single IR to control the TV but this could be done over Cat6).

I had been looking at something like the Autonomic MMS-5a but I’m not sure if it’s overkill if I can do what I want with the equipment I already have, although I do like the way it integrates everything together.

Thanks a lot for answering several questions in one!

Pete

if you have a hc800 and a 300 in the rack you should have more than enough outputs to do this.  THE WMB should likely be moved to the rack connected to the amplfier directly if possible. Then the hc800 will need two outputs and a for the digital if the amp does not have digital in. the hc800 and wmb would give you 4 right there you could add  two more from the hc300 but you will only be able to update to 2.9.1. effectively allowing you 6 unique streams but that will be pushing the hc800 pretty heavily as well.

On 4/13/2019 at 1:33 AM, hank31980 said:

I’m running the latest software on my C4 Director so is there a way I can enable Spotify Connect to my system or does my dealer need to enable it?

I’m running the latest software on my C4 Director so is there a way I can enable Spotify Connect to my system or does my dealer need to enable it?
Happy to help you and add the add music driver. Message me

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.