C4 Forums | Control4

Can I remove my NVR and still have my IP cams function with C4?

After all the problems I've had with the Zuum NVR, I'm thinking about returning it to my dealer and just going without recording until I find a suitable replacement.

Right now, my 4 Lilin IP cams are connected to a POE switch (rather than the POE built into the Zuum NVR) and are integrated into C4 to allow touchscreen and Navigator feeds.

Now, if I unplug the NVR from my system, will it mess up my pre-existing setup?  That is, will it "break" the connection the cams have with C4 and so break the touchscreen and Navigator feeds?

The reason I'm asking is so I don't have to wait for a time for my dealer to come out and remove the NVR.  I can remove it and pack it up and have it ready for him to swing by whenever he wants to pick it up.

Thanks

BTW, I know I can "test" what will happen if I simply unplug the NVR from my network, but I don't want to risk doing that if it is going to mess something up which will require waiting for my dealer to have time to fix again.

On 4/11/2019 at 11:40 AM, twmoonly said:

Yes you will still be able to view them through c4 since they are connected to POE switch

Not if the specific IP feed is being supplied by the NVR. It depends on how your dealer set them up in the system. 

Presumably your cams are all setup separately on C4 and so there is no reason they should not continue to work without the NVR there.

I would have a look the new Lilin NRV3216 series, nice easy driver for the NVR to integrate with C4 and just works with their cameras too.

Archived