C4 Forums | Control4

I messed up! Ideas for a workaround?

So, I just purchased a Roon Nucleus because I wanted to take advantage of Roon's C4 driver to use the on screen display and my SR260 remote to navigate and play music using Roon. Unfortunately, I failed to account for the fact that it's not possible for my C4 EA1 to display video at the same time the Nucleus plays audio since they are both connected to my Denon AVR-3400H via HDMI. 😖

Anyone have thoughts on a workaround here? 

Split the HDMI of the C4, put one in the Denon for normal audio use, put the other into an unused input on the TV.

When Roon selected, switch display other HDMI Input to still see Navigator.

Also add to Room Video Changes, select correct HDMI input on the TV to correct afterwards when switching sources.

I wouldn't put a switch between the receiver and the projector, likely to cause display issues. If I had a spare cat to the projector, I'd use a basic HDbaseT setup, or you could put a USB DAC on the Roon's USB output rather than use the HDMI output and avoid the problem all together, or any of the Roon compatible End Points.

Hi @RAV.

I'm not familiar with HDbaseT. Can you say more about it, and how I might use it in my situation?

I'm also not sure about how a USB DAC would work. If I hook it up to the Roon's USB output, then where does it connect to?

One thing to note... A large portion of my music collection is multichannel, which is why I was assuming I needed to use the HDMI output from the Nucleus to my Denon. Maybe there is another way?

Sorry I'm being so dense here!

Here's a bit more about my current setup:

• Control4 EA1 with SR260 remote.
  • Video device is an Epson 3700 projector.
  • HDMI cable runs from my Denon AVR-3400H receiver to the Epson projector.
  • Cat5 cable with 3.5mm jack on one end and IR emitter on the other end connects the EA1 with the Epson projector for control.
  • Roon Nucleus currently connected to my Denon via HDMI.
  • Other devices connected to my Denon via HDMI include OPPO Bluray 103 and Nvidia Shield.

An HDbaseT kit like you linked would work to add a second HDMI by using the existing wiring.

The Roon isn't as much a hardware component as it is software. There are MANY components that can be Roon endpoints, check their website. The USB DAC would convert the files to 2 channel left right analog to feed the Denon. Since many receivers can keep the last video source as a pass through when switching to an analog source, that was my though pattern to solve without rewiring.

Thanks @RAV!

So, what I would be doing with that HDbaseT extender is basically using CAT6 to run a second HDMI connection from the C4 EA1 to my Epson Projector? Then, when using the Roon Nucleus I would switch the projector from Input 1 (Denon receiver) to Input 2 (EA1). That sound right?

It's not ideal, since my Projector is controlled via IR blaster, and every now and then it misses a command. But, it sounds like this may be my only option.

Would a 4x4 HDMI matrix allow me to use a single HDMI cable to my projector, and have the EA1 HDMI video feed to the projector and the Nucleus HDMI feed audio to my Denon receiver? 

Also, I should make clear that in this situation, I am using the Roon Nucleus... so, sort of both a Roon software AND hardware solution. Ironically, I bought the Nucleus to replace my previous Roon endpoint because it was the only way to get Roon's C4 driver. I unfortunately failed to account for this HDMI situation.

Oh, and I don't think a USB DAC will work since I have a ton of multichannel music that I believe will only work over HDMI.

I created quite the pickle for myself. 😀

So, what I would be doing with that HDbaseT extender is basically using CAT6 to run a second HDMI connection from the C4 EA1 to my Epson Projector? Then, when using the Roon Nucleus I would switch the projector from Input 1 (Denon receiver) to Input 2 (EA1). That sound right?

Correct.

Would a HDMI audio de-embedder on the Nucleus HDMI output help? Something like this can extract HDMI audio formats including Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD Master Audio transmission and then output them as a digital coax signal. The only signal it cannot extract is a multi-channel PCM signal as that would require it do encode it into a Dolby Digital or DTS stream in real-time.

https://www.blustream.co.uk/hd11au

Have you got a second CAT5/6 cable running to the projector? If so you could use a HDBaseT extender kit with HDMI loop out to feed the AVR and the Projector simultaneously from the EA--1's HDMI output.

https://www.blustream.co.uk/hex70edkitv2

That way you would be able to view the OSD Navigator on the projector via its second HDMI input whilst using the HDMI feed from the Nucleus into the AVR.

If you did not have a spare CAT5/6 cable, you could use the one you are using for IR control of the projector with a HDBaseT extender kit and then fit a Control4 Z2IR at the projector's location to provide IR control of the project via ZigBee.

In fact with that extender kit, you could just feed the extracted digital coax output to the AVR and only send the HDMI feed to the projector, that way you won't get any routing path conflicts with the OSD Navigator being available both direct to the projector and via the AVR.

You would need to use the AV Path Setter driver to enable the HDMI path from the EA-1 to the projector and a distal coax feed to the AVR.

Thanks @Crustyloafer! This seems like the best/only option. I don't have a spare CAT cable running to the projector. However, in looking at that HDbaseT device you linked to, it mentions IR. Does this mean it would transport IR over the same CAT cable as the HDMI signal? Or, would I still need either a direct IR connection from the EA1 to the projector or something like that Z2IR device? Thanks!! 

7 minutes ago, Crustyloafer said:

In fact with that extender kit, you could just feed the extracted digital coax output to the AVR and only send the HDMI feed to the projector, that way you won't get any routing path conflicts with the OSD Navigator being available both direct to the projector and via the AVR.

You would need to use the AV Path Setter driver to enable the HDMI path from the EA-1 to the projector and a distal coax feed to the AVR.

You lost me here. 😀

Wouldn't Coax output be unable to handle hi-rez multi-channel?

What is AV Path Setter?

8 minutes ago, elee532 said:

You lost me here. 😀

Wouldn't Coax output be unable to handle hi-rez multi-channel?

What is AV Path Setter?

You will not be playing high-res multi channel audio from the EA-1's HDMI output, it only ever outputs 2 Ch. audio via it's HDMI and we are just extracting that 2 Ch audio and sending it to AVR via digital coax. The HDMI from the Nucleus will of course be directly connected to the AVR for high res multi channel playback.

The AV Path setter driver is a free driver built into Composer Pro which allows you to generate additional outputs from a device which does not have those connections in its own driver bindings, in this case we want to create a digital coax output from the EA-1 to connect to the AVR in the project file and of course the EA-1 driver does not have any digital coax outputs in it.

Are you an end user or dealer?

I think I understand now. Thanks!

I'm an end user.

Any thoughts on this HDbaseT extender? It says it has a Contro4 driver. Is this necessary?

Do you provide remote programming services? If I purchase and install such a device, can you configure the C4 settings for me? 

No driver required for that device as its just an extender, basically just taking the place of a long HDMI cable.

Do you have a dealer to make the required changes to your system?

Where are you based?

You will also require an IR conversion cable as the IR output from the EA-1 is a 12V mono jack but the IR input on theHDBaseT transmitter is a 5V stereo jack. These adapter come included with their video matrices but not their extender kits, they can be bought separately though and are all called the 'IRCAB'.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.