C4 Forums | Control4

Those Crestron systems...

This made me laugh..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/how-50-cent-was-reportedly-spending-dollar70000-a-month-on-his-mansion/ar-BBW2uyJ

Smart home systems may be the 'biggest hidden cost'

Jennifer Leahy of Douglas Elliman, who sells homes between $500,000 and $9 million in affluent Fairfield County, Connecticut, said larger houses in Fairfield - those around 12,000 square feet or larger - can cost homeowners an average of $10,000 per month in upkeep, from utilities to landscaping to smart home systems.

"I think probably the biggest hidden cost is that smart home systems, like a Crestron, must be updated with frequency and the updates can cost - no joke - $20,000 a pop," Leahy told Business Insider. "And my clients sometimes have to update them every three to six months."

And don't forget about home security.

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

When we moved and told them about Control4 - We had the same response from some people who came to

buy the house - People do research but it can go two ways - one guy was well excited !!! 

We removed Control4 from marketing details

In the end we removed Control4 and reinstalled in the new house .

3 hours ago, SMHarman said:

This made me laugh..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/how-50-cent-was-reportedly-spending-dollar70000-a-month-on-his-mansion/ar-BBW2uyJ

Smart home systems may be the 'biggest hidden cost'

Jennifer Leahy of Douglas Elliman, who sells homes between $500,000 and $9 million in affluent Fairfield County, Connecticut, said larger houses in Fairfield - those around 12,000 square feet or larger - can cost homeowners an average of $10,000 per month in upkeep, from utilities to landscaping to smart home systems.

"I think probably the biggest hidden cost is that smart home systems, like a Crestron, must be updated with frequency and the updates can cost - no joke - $20,000 a pop," Leahy told Business Insider. "And my clients sometimes have to update them every three to six months."

And don't forget about home security.

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

when you have that size house and someone walks in the door to do any work, the price goes up substantially.  I have seen this first hand, not me, but through some peers in the area.  If you have a 12,000 sq ft house a contractor knows you have money and things cost more that should not cost more - but it is how the world operates in these markets.

If you are some financial tycoon and all you know about technology is your cell phone and tablet and someone says you need to update this box every 3-6 months most people with means just say yes, they do not come to a user forum like c4forums or avsforums and ask questions.  Heck most of them have property managers and accountants who just write the checks and they are 2-3 steps removed.

22 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

When we moved and told them about Control4 - We had the same response from some people who came to

buy the house - People do research but it can go two ways - one guy was well excited !!! 

We removed Control4 from marketing details

In the end we removed Control4 and reinstalled in the new house .

Yeah, I’m getting ready to sell my house and all I’m going to leave is the surveillance system. People want that and it would be a pain in the ass to remove. 

I have my big rack flush mounted in the wall across from the theater. I’m going to pull it out and drywall over the opening because I think most people will find it scary/intimidating (especially at our price point of ~$650k).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.