C4 Forums | Control4

Drivercentral down?

All my plugins that use drivercentral as the license providers stopped working today. Inside my director it says the licenses are "expired". I figured out it's because it says its not connected. Checking online, I can't reach their website (drivercentral.io). Are their servers down?

@alanchow Any input? Some of the drivers are yours.

OK, glad it's not on my end. This made me realize something though. How is everyone OK with being so attached to relying on them for our HOME working properly? This is a pretty poor system. I understand the need for licensing, but there needs to be a much more robust system  (like if their servers can't be contacted, there is a week or more grace period).

I was actually typing a similar response. Because this is a premium solution I was hoping to have a little more resiliency. Especially after I explained to my wife the value of going with C4 verses an off the shelf offering.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Cbell said:

I was actually typing a similar response. Because this is a premium solution I was hoping to have a little more resiliency. Especially after I explained to my wife the value of going with C4 verses an off the shelf offering.

I had family over today and I couldn't use my home theater for 30+ minutes while I figure out whats wrong. Then I needed to find my other remotes. Then I needed to charge my Shield remote since it is dead from not being used (since my C4 controls it). ETC... Biggest deal? No. But this is supposed to be a premium solution and most of what we are paying for is convenience. This was not convenient.

33 minutes ago, timelinex said:

OK, glad it's not on my end. This made me realize something though. How is everyone OK with being so attached to relying on them for our HOME working properly? This is a pretty poor system. I understand the need for licensing, but there needs to be a much more robust system  (like if their servers can't be contacted, there is a week or more grace period).

Yeah - it's a really bad design.  Part of the reason I went C4 is that I don't have to rely on other people's infrastructure for my home to work properly.  The fact that DriverCentral's outage causes my system not to work properly, quite frankly, sucks.

Look for the cloud driver and check the properties. I had the same issue, starting my investigation with the driver I thought was the root cause. It turned out to be the cloud driver, and as we've found out later, their servers were down. Now... I believe they are up (maybe), but you're issue may be resolved by locating the cloud driver and use the drop down in the driver action to force the check in. This may help resolve your issue with the sky driver.

Right, realised that I should be looking at the DriverCentral Cloud properties, not my Sky box ones... Newbie here sorry.

So in the drop down I have Check Drivers, Auto Update All On, Auto Update All Off, Restart Director as the options.  Which one should I use to force check in?

Thanks in advance.

Barry

6 minutes ago, Cbell said:

emoji16.pngPerfect... I'm glad it worked!

I went to driver actions, did check drivers, hit set.... But it says invalid, error 102.

EDIT: Nevermind, after trying it a few more times and waiting 5 minutes it now says success!

Oh... good.

I wonder if they are still having intermittent issues. And... maybe you hit an impaired server, ultimately finding a good one. But that's me just speculating.

Glad it worked.

Maybe everyone in this thread who thinks this should not happen with a premium product should write an email to DruverCentral and ask them to change their driver licensing to something like this:

If the license server is unreachable keep drivers licensed for 4 weeks.
This state should survive reboots

With such a policy a server or internet outrage would not affect the systems functionality.
For other reasons the current behaviour has been an issues for us as well so I would really appreciate a change

9 hours ago, blub said:

If the license server is unreachable keep drivers licensed for 4 weeks.

Wouldn't even need to be 4 weeks, could be 4 days. That would give them a reasonable amount of time to get their servers back up and running. No self-respecting IT department should have a server down for more than a day for any reason. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.