C4 Forums | Control4

C4 lock for front door?

drmark12pa

Question

22 answers to this question

My opinion on smart locks ... never use it for front doors ... it’s just too risky to have something that someone can hack into and the house is wide open ... Am a bit legacy on that and use normal locks for doors.  I use it only inside the house ...

2 hours ago, Amr said:

My opinion on smart locks ... never use it for front doors ... it’s just too risky to have something that someone can hack into and the house is wide open ... Am a bit legacy on that and use normal locks for doors.  I use it only inside the house ...

dumb locks are pretty easy to hack, at least with the smart lock you'll never have to guess if its locked, can try and relock it and will know who and when it is opened.

3 hours ago, Matt Lowe said:

dumb locks are pretty easy to hack, at least with the smart lock you'll never have to guess if its locked, can try and relock it and will know who and when it is opened.

How do you like those glass windows alongside your front door. Or your glass patio windows.

Smart locks are no easier to 'hack' than it is to open a standard deadbolt on a door. And if someone wants to enter your house, the lock isn't the easiest way to do it.

Yes, true, Smart or dumb will not be an issue for a break-n-entry, it’s just I hate electronic locks and I believe it makes life easier to get in for me and others!.  I don’t Have glass windows, I rather use a hidden security cam with Nyce Door Hinges for tracking open/close, I also have a security system when turned on open hinges will trigger the alarm, etc

An automated lock IMHO is *more* secure than a manual, as I have mine set to lock 5 minutes after the door is last closed.

That means my lock is almost always locked, and I never forget to lock it.

A manual lock is *much* more likely to get left unlocked by my kids and/or wife (or even me).

:)

RyanE

FYI, we don’t use locks like the ones you use in USA, I have an armored door with a traditional lock that is very difficult to hack or crack, and costed me > $500!! It’s one of those decisions you take when designing your smart home, e.g. using DS1 or DS2 never use the built in Relays and contacts to open door locks as it could give access to your facility ...

3 hours ago, wnpublic said:

The Yale locks have been the most bulletproof piece of my C4 installation.  Never had an issue, everyone "gets" it.

I have a Yale that is fitted with z-wave, any idea from where I can get a Zigbee Pro module for it?  The Kweikset have these modules circulating every once and a while except the Yale.

If I were replacing mine at this point in time, I'd probably go with the keywayless Yale locks (or maybe Kwikset), because I think no keyway is a pretty good idea these days, with current reliability of the touchscreens, etc.

I'd probably keep one door with a high-security keyway, as a backup...

But that's just my opinion, and I'm not a professional and not offering recommendations.

RyanE

On 4/28/2019 at 4:19 PM, RyanE said:

If I were replacing mine at this point in time, I'd probably go with the keywayless Yale locks (or maybe Kwikset), because I think no keyway is a pretty good idea these days, with current reliability of the touchscreens, etc.

I'd probably keep one door with a high-security keyway, as a backup...

But that's just my opinion, and I'm not a professional and not offering recommendations.

RyanE

Great suggestion. between the automated locks and garage door control. I have not personally carried my house key on me since we purchased the house 4 years ago.

2 hours ago, Matt Lowe said:

Great suggestion. between the automated locks and garage door control. I have not personally carried my house key on me since we purchased the house 4 years ago.

Same here, I have two locks that I can use without a key, so little to no chance to find both out of battery either. Haven't carried a house key on a daily basis in nearly a decade (just in case we bring it on long trips, though I've never needed it)

One of the keywayless locks (I can't remember which) has battery terminals on the outside, so if the battery is dead, you just have to find a 9V battery somewhere to power the unit up enough to unlock.

Hiding a 9V battery outside your house is considerably more secure than hiding a key.

RyanE

18 hours ago, Matt Lowe said:

Ditto... although I must say the garage door is my point of entry 99.9% of the time... the front door is a bit of a white elephant!

3 hours ago, RyanE said:

One of the keywayless locks (I can't remember which) has battery terminals on the outside, so if the battery is dead, you just have to find a 9V battery somewhere to power the unit up enough to unlock.

Hiding a 9V battery outside your house is considerably more secure than hiding a key.

RyanE

We have this lock, however it looks like they have stopped selling it in the UK.

great lock works brilliantly with C4 

17 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

We have this lock, however it looks like they have stopped selling it in the UK.

great lock works brilliantly with C4 

Yeah bit of a black hole automated lock situation in the UK and it's been driving me potty tbh. 

(however the Yale locks we've automated and installed before hand have been working great.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.