C4 Forums | Control4

Hunter Douglas - Powerview any good or better go with Qmotion?

Hi,

There have been some threads about the Hunter Douglas Powershades already and there have been posts stating either some driver or motor issues - subjectively I saw more people complaining about Hunter Douglas products than over Qmotion. That however can be due to numerous things like more ppl using HD compared to Qmotion or different product generations etc..

So long question cut short:

thx

You'll see more complaints on HD because it's used more.

-HD BRIDGES have just proven soooooo unreliable in the past. Their blinds as such generally work, it's the bridge that has been the failure point. We have steered away from them

-The newer driver by Cinegration is excellent however. We hAVE used it on a few occasions. Problem is, no driver will fix random blinds dropping off of the bridge (or randomly joining groups on the bridge, even across (bridge defined) rooms which shouldn't even be possible...) If we can't reasonably stay away from the current gen bridge, we'd not be completely unwilling to try (with clear caveats towards the client!) with this driver and the current bridge - I've heard it's much better (the bridge I mean).

-Qmotion is direct over ZigBee into Control4. OLDER models used a bridge, so you may have seen something about one because of that.

-Qmotions are nice blinds really, and insanely easy to integrate with C4. We have had some motor failures on them however, and while it's not been a major hassle as such to get replacements, it HAS been slow to arrive if you will.

Have Qmotion. 

No hub. As mentioned they are ZigBee end points,  not repeaters, so be sure you have good ZigBee signal where they are going or put a C4 Dimmer nearby which acts as a ZigBee repeater. 

Pleased with functionality thus far. Have fallen off ZigBee a few times but pretty easy to get them back on network with a pull sequence of the hem bar.  Being able to control the shade through hem bar control is a big advantage. 

A few of my shades make some strange noise which I haven’t gotten to the bottom of yet. 

18 hours ago, Cyknight said:

You'll see more complaints on HD because it's used more.

-HD BRIDGES have just proven soooooo unreliable in the past. Their blinds as such generally work, it's the bridge that has been the failure point. We have steered away from them

-The newer driver by Cinegration is excellent however. We hAVE used it on a few occasions. Problem is, no driver will fix random blinds dropping off of the bridge (or randomly joining groups on the bridge, even across (bridge defined) rooms which shouldn't even be possible...) If we can't reasonably stay away from the current gen bridge, we'd not be completely unwilling to try (with clear caveats towards the client!) with this driver and the current bridge - I've heard it's much better (the bridge I mean).

-Qmotion is direct over ZigBee into Control4. OLDER models used a bridge, so you may have seen something about one because of that.

-Qmotions are nice blinds really, and insanely easy to integrate with C4. We have had some motor failures on them however, and while it's not been a major hassle as such to get replacements, it HAS been slow to arrive if you will.

17 hours ago, anon2828 said:

Have Qmotion. 

No hub. As mentioned they are ZigBee end points,  not repeaters, so be sure you have good ZigBee signal where they are going or put a C4 Dimmer nearby which acts as a ZigBee repeater. 

Pleased with functionality thus far. Have fallen off ZigBee a few times but pretty easy to get them back on network with a pull sequence of the hem bar.  Being able to control the shade through hem bar control is a big advantage. 

A few of my shades make some strange noise which I haven’t gotten to the bottom of yet. 

Hi

thx for your feedback. So in theory Qmotion is the better choice for Control4 integration however HD would also work good but might come with some internal FW issues.
Since Qmotion  does not need a Hub I would prefer it as I don't wont yet another RFnetwork and Hub -ZigBee: 2x Hue, 1x Heatmiser and Control4 - kinda gets annoying at some point.

Thing is just that currently I can only get quotes for HD. Qmotion seems kinda hard to get an answer from the german retailer if they integrate into C4 the same way as in they do in the US or if the have a different FW over here.

I just used Hunter Douglass PowerView hub, with the Cinegration driver. It was frustrating to say the least. The driver would cause the controller to lock up and disconnect from director sometimes it was random, other times it would happen when I refreshed navigators. Sometimes it would reconnect, other times I would have to power cycle the controller. If i removed the cinegration driver, no issues. I would steer far far from hunter douglass and the hub. 

I just used Hunter Douglass PowerView hub, with the Cinegration driver. It was frustrating to say the least. The driver would cause the controller to lock up and disconnect from director sometimes it was random, other times it would happen when I refreshed navigators. Sometimes it would reconnect, other times I would have to power cycle the controller. If i removed the cinegration driver, no issues. I would steer far far from hunter douglass and the hub. 

And that was the new version released 2018?

Have u reported your issues to DC/Cinegration? (There seem to be 2 drivers, 2017 starting earlier and one starting in 2018 for v2 hubs)

Sounds really disappointing but HD is the only indoor, battery driven blinds motor I can buy that " work" with Control4 in Germany.

Comfy would be an alternative, but all drivers are thw old RTS protocol and not the new OO homecontrol

12 minutes ago, blub said:

And that was the new version released 2018?

Have u reported your issues to DC/Cinegration? (There seem to be 2 drivers, 2017 starting earlier and one starting in 2018 for v2 hubs)

Sounds really disappointing but HD is the only indoor, battery driven blinds motor I can buy that " work" with Control4 in Germany.

Comfy would be an alternative, but all drivers are thw old RTS protocol and not the new OO homecontrol

somfy mylink not available in Germany?

46 minutes ago, terminaldisclaimer said:

Hunter Douglas sucks. Worse decision I ever made. I have the platinum blinds, which are particularly bad. I would go Lutron. They are expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for. If I had to do it all over again, that's what I would do. 

I'll check Lutron. But the brand itself is not well knows so I doubt they sell the battery powered shade motors here.

13 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

I believe there is a free C4 driver for Somfy RTS, it is just 1 way not 2 way:

https://drivers.control4.com/solr/drivers/browse?&q=&fq=manufacturer:"Somfy"

14 minutes ago, tdougray said:

Correct but can get the rts transmitter. Works great 

https://controlissblinds.co.uk/somfy-rs485-rts-transmitter

Yes RTS is an option. But I am very reluctant to install 10+ year old 1-way RF tech..

At least for my area of living the project seems to be a lot more complicated than I anticipated.
I'll wait for the quote for HD. If it is good and I can re-use parts of my shade which are manual HD versions from 2009 I will buy some to fit 1 or 2 rooms to see how they work. If the price is through the roof I'll wait a couple months to see where things go, maybe ZigBee 3.0 finally takes off.....

2 minutes ago, blub said:

Yes RTS is an option. But I am very reluctant to install 10+ year old 1-way RF tech..

I get your point but I dont think blinds are an overly complicated bit of tech tbh. I just requires a signal to either go up or down. If you combine with Domosapiens driver you can do a lot more. We shouldn't right off something if it works just because its old. 

1 minute ago, tdougray said:

We shouldn't right off something if it works just because its old. 

Yes this is true.

Currently it comes down to: HD and Somfy.

I will need to wait for the quote on HD and see if I can re-use the window treatments which are still looking like new. I also gotta check if I could re-use anything when buying somfy.
One disadvantage of the Somfy motors is that the batteries are in an external housing which go next to the motor. I just saw it when going through the manual. The HD motors have the batteries internal if I am not mistaken, I gotta check that again. This however could be a tight or maybe impossible to fit as my  blinds are "recessed upwards" so  there is little to no extra space for another housing.

8 minutes ago, chesterwilson said:

I have HD installed and it works beautifully.  Any other option was significantly more expensive and HD window treatments are very high quality.

k, thx finally it works for somebody 😂 -  Are you using the PowerView blinds?

2 minutes ago, blub said:

One disadvantage of the Somfy motors is that the batteries are in an external housing which go next to the motor

Your correct but the wand they sit in is really small. Only just bigger in diameter than the AA batteries that sit inside it. 

True. But that's how much space I have and with the clips it's a really tight fit and if the motors need a larger diameter it won't fit at all - pic is attached I hope
61b7cb910a43ab9839f73c9b055cffed.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.