C4 Forums | Control4

SnapAV buying C4

4 hours ago, cdepaola said:

No and the stock, Pre-market, is +6.76 (39.49%) to 23.88

the sale also must still approved by shareholders and regulators.  

Are you sure about regulators?  Why would they care?

Of course it is possible that someone else could come in and make an offer as well. Largest shareholders of CTRL are large indexers for the most part:

BlackRock 15%
Vanguard 7%
DFA 5%
BNY Mellon 4%
NJ Pension Fund 4%
Systematic 4%

Most of those are as of 12/31/18.  Those numbers will be updated in a few days when Q1 13Fs are filed.

I wonder if one of the big guys like Amazon, Microsoft, Apple, etc would be interested?  Maybe Google to add to Nest. 

47 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Are you sure about regulators?  Why would they care?

Of course it is possible that someone else could come in and make an offer as well. Largest shareholders of CTRL are large indexers for the most part:

BlackRock 15%
Vanguard 7%
DFA 5%
BNY Mellon 4%
NJ Pension Fund 4%
Systematic 4%

Most of those are as of 12/31/18.  Those numbers will be updated in a few days when Q1 13Fs are filed.

I wonder if one of the big guys like Amazon, Microsoft, Apple, etc would be interested?  Maybe Google to add to Nest. 

SnapAV's letter specifically mentions Regulators, may just be a small step... Passing shareholders may also be a small bump or it may be a bigger one depending on what folks think of SnapAV, the Walmart of the a/v integrator world.   

I don't think the shareholders listed above will worry too much about a small cap stock like C4.  Blackrock has about $6 Trillion in AUM.  Their 15% position in C4 is worth $100M.  BlackRock and Vanguard will do some work on the deal and also look at the analysis done by proxy advisers ISS and Glass Lewis.

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

One thing I would expect would be to try to move to more of a subscription basis as that is what PE firms love, and it is what is happening with all software companies now - although C4 is only partially a software company.  4sight is probably the tip of the iceberg.

Yes, I also would expect a permanent 4sight requirement

2 hours ago, blub said:

Oh boy, that does not sound very promising....

Blah - everyone needs to quit being so damn dramatic.  SnapAV is generally a good company to deal with (besides the HL fiasco).  I was surprised by this, though.  Curious to see what will happen with the competing product lines (Episode/Triad, Araknis/Packedge, etc), but it's going to be a while before we see anything, and I'm confident that SnapAV will make whatever transition required as painless as possible for both customers and dealers.  I think everyone just needs to calm down and let things play out for a bit before drawing any conclusions.

8 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

Blah - everyone needs to quit being so damn dramatic.  SnapAV is generally a good company to deal with (besides the HL fiasco).  I was surprised by this, though.  Curious to see what will happen with the competing product lines (Episode/Triad, Araknis/Packedge, etc), but it's going to be a while before we see anything, and I'm confident that SnapAV will make whatever transition required as painless as possible for both customers and dealers.  I think everyone just needs to calm down and let things play out for a bit before drawing any conclusions.

I agree!  Change is hard for so many including dealers so now we will wait and see...

13 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

and I'm confident that SnapAV will make whatever transition required as painless as possible for both customers and dealers.

Oh? Why would you be confident about that? There's no reason to assume either way at this point

13 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

I think everyone just needs to calm down and let things play out for a bit before drawing any conclusions.

I agree (even if that completely undermines your own 'confidence' 😉)

This is all very early yet, no certainty it will even happen at all as of yet, let alone how it will work out.

1 hour ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Feel for the dealers

Why? Many dealers already use SnapAV, and Snap is a closed dealer system company... 😋

1 minute ago, Cyknight said:

Oh? Why would you be confident about that? There's no reason to assume either way at this point

Sure - I'm speculating.  But, in my experience, like I said, Snap has been a good partner and I'm hoping they realize this is a big deal for C4 customers and dealers and thus make it a pleasant transition (if it even happens).

2 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Oh yes, the goal would be to try and get Snap (or to be exact the company owning Snap) to pay more - not to stop it.

Should be interesting but I think the evaluation is good.  We shall see.  More importantly, excited for future...

21 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

Sure - I'm speculating.  But, in my experience, like I said, Snap has been a good partner and I'm hoping they realize this is a big deal for C4 customers and dealers and thus make it a pleasant transition (if it even happens).

Snap's 'partnering' and buyouts have been a mixed bag. Just look at Houselogix and how that basically killed that company.

No issues with Snap as such, for their core business, but I wouldn't judge what happens in this scenario based on that at all (Same if it were the other way around mind you, C4 has the same mixed bag of how they handled take-overs).

Note that I'm not expecting it to go bad - just not expecting it to go good either, it's going to be a big wait and see. That is arguably the one thing I really don't like at this point - wait and see is not my favorite approach

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

That would be Monoprice - or maybe that's the dollarstore 😉

Dollarstore, 100%!

Also don't get me wrong, I make jest and secretly use Snap for some stuff. They don't make a bad budget product but Episode speakers do not = Triad for quality, sound, etc. 

This has got be generally bad news for dealers. Presumably, Snap didn’t just spend 600 million to keep Control4 limited to its current dealer base. I would assume they will expand it to their normal customer base. It’s pretty easy to become a snapav dealer. So that means two things: 1. Way more competition to current dealers; and 2. Much easier accessibility to your average consumer to Control4, including ComposerPro.

Good luck dealers!

This has got be generally bad news for dealers. Presumably, Snap didn’t just spend 600 million to keep Control4 limited to its current dealer base. I would assume they will expand it to their normal customer base. It’s pretty easy to become a snapav dealer. So that means two things: 1. Way more competition to current dealers; and 2. Much easier accessibility to your average consumer to Control4, including ComposerPro.
Good luck dealers!

Not sure that makes sense. Everything snap does is dealer based

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, terminaldisclaimer said:

Good luck dealers!

You're making assumptions.. and you know what they say about that.

You're making assumptions.. and you know what they say about that.
The funny part of the statement is that expanding it their current customer base is still dealers. With tons of overlap

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

If this goes through, Mark my words, snap AV and their rack builder tool will be delivering fully built and wired up racks to your door. Just gotta put in the modem / cable boxes / streaming devices.  They’ll probably even pre configure the network  

Wonder how much a snap rack builder will get paid. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.