C4 Forums | Control4

Composer 3.0

This site is very similar to Instagram and other social media.  Makes me laugh.

I also find it funny when people are saying they won't upgrade because of potential bugs and they don't want to be a "beta" tester.  However, I've seen the same people say they are waiting for the "New" hardware to drop then will upgrade. 

1.  Pretty sure you are going to have to be on 3.0+ with this "New" hardware.  The HC series will be EOL and top out at 2.10.6 (basically) for full functionality.

2.  New hardware - so that's not "Beta" testing when it's first released? :)

3.  People are just mad that they don't have EA series controllers and that's why most of them are not updating.  If that wasn't the case, why did you go to ZigBee Pro instead of embernet?  Why go past 2.9.1?  Why did you get rid of the HC500 and HC1000?  I mean, the original portable touch screen was nice. lol. Good thing humans didn't just invent fire.

4.  Update is good - Much needed.  Does it need more, yes.  But, they just started a new foundation for the way their vision is heading.

41 minutes ago, Elephant_Man said:

I also find it funny when people are saying they won't upgrade because of potential bugs and they don't want to be a "beta" tester.  However, I've seen the same people say they are waiting for the "New" hardware to drop then will upgrade. 

1.  Pretty sure you are going to have to be on 3.0+ with this "New" hardware.  The HC series will be EOL and top out at 2.10.6 (basically) for full functionality.

2.  New hardware - so that's not "Beta" testing when it's first released? :)

3.  People are just mad that they don't have EA series controllers and that's why most of them are not updating.  If that wasn't the case, why did you go to ZigBee Pro instead of embernet?  Why go past 2.9.1?  Why did you get rid of the HC500 and HC1000?  I mean, the original portable touch screen was nice. lol. Good thing humans didn't just invent fire.

4.  Update is good - Much needed.  Does it need more, yes.  But, they just started a new foundation for the way their vision is heading.

Thank goodness you created an account to post this. You have totally changed their minds.

4 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Where are you?

Thank you for a detailed response, even though you framed your whole post off of one comment I made and ignored many others (gasp, I also talk with other dealers, see many others quotes, and talk with my rep etc as I put in my post). Yes my frame of mind is based on you guessed it my own experiences, just like yours is. I appreciate your detailed response, but they all were use cases for your clients and nothing else as most of them can be done without the GUI.  I know, you threw in at the end you talk to many dealers/users from around the whole wide world and just to let me know its outside of this forum. Not sure why the chest puffing was needed as it added nothing to your argument, but it did give me a good chuckle. 

First I did say it's not just my systems, its the systems of most all the dealers in my area (3rd largest market in the United States). We often bid against other dealers, and you know we see their quotes/designs and they don't include the TV GUI. You are correct, there are many ways to design a system, and I personally think it's a bad system design to rely on the TV GUI for control and the money spent on it is better used elsewhere. Is it wrong to design a system with it, no you are correct it is not. Are there times its nice, sure the current music feedback is the only example I will concede to you, but it is 100% not needed as I can just look at another interface to see the song.

We install cameras on probably 75% of our jobs, the NVR video still gets to the TV without the GUI, and with obviously better picture quality (since GUI cam feed is only 720p). The movies are fine to browse on a touchscreen or tablet, never had a complaint. Sorry don't understand the word salad on your other example.

I'm not saying it should be dropped, but the time and effort that went into designing the new GUI could have been better spent in my mind on the app/touchscreen GUI. Adding wakeup/goodnight to the app, the actual customizing we all want (different room GUI for each user, locking out rooms from users etc). Also it's now focused on listen/watch only as comfort/lighting/security were left off as they know those are better controlled elsewhere.

I was actually asking you if you had some info from Control4 due to the absolute confidence your comment was made with. Your response though kinda proved my point, you like it and don't want it gone and have no real idea of how many people use it.(i'm sorry I don't care about you talking with dealers/users world wide I just don't) You are correct though Control4 probably does have a better idea of how much use it's actually getting, and based on their focusing it to the listen/watch plus favorites i'm guessing it's not getting anywhere near the daily/hourly/by the minute use the app/touchscreens get.

2.  New hardware - so that's not "Beta" testing when it's first released?

Nice not to be concerned with $
Screens have gotten cheaper have they. I won’t be upgrading from my Hc800 or my old screen. I am not mad at not having a EA and I’m not mad that I don’t own a Tesla. Would I like to have these things, sure, just out of my league
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, HRT said:

Thank you for a detailed response, even though you framed your whole post off of one comment I made and ignored many others (gasp, I also talk with other dealers, see many others quotes, and talk with my rep etc as I put in my post). Yes my frame of mind is based on you guessed it my own experiences, just like yours is. I appreciate your detailed response, but they all were use cases for your clients and nothing else as most of them can be done without the GUI.  I know, you threw in at the end you talk to many dealers/users from around the whole wide world and just to let me know its outside of this forum. Not sure why the chest puffing was needed as it added nothing to your argument, but it did give me a good chuckle. 

First I did say it's not just my systems, its the systems of most all the dealers in my area (3rd largest market in the United States). We often bid against other dealers, and you know we see their quotes/designs and they don't include the TV GUI. You are correct, there are many ways to design a system, and I personally think it's a bad system design to rely on the TV GUI for control and the money spent on it is better used elsewhere. Is it wrong to design a system with it, no you are correct it is not. Are there times its nice, sure the current music feedback is the only example I will concede to you, but it is 100% not needed as I can just look at another interface to see the song.

We install cameras on probably 75% of our jobs, the NVR video still gets to the TV without the GUI, and with obviously better picture quality (since GUI cam feed is only 720p). The movies are fine to browse on a touchscreen or tablet, never had a complaint. Sorry don't understand the word salad on your other example.

I'm not saying it should be dropped, but the time and effort that went into designing the new GUI could have been better spent in my mind on the app/touchscreen GUI. Adding wakeup/goodnight to the app, the actual customizing we all want (different room GUI for each user, locking out rooms from users etc). Also it's now focused on listen/watch only as comfort/lighting/security were left off as they know those are better controlled elsewhere.

I was actually asking you if you had some info from Control4 due to the absolute confidence your comment was made with. Your response though kinda proved my point, you like it and don't want it gone and have no real idea of how many people use it.(i'm sorry I don't care about you talking with dealers/users world wide I just don't) You are correct though Control4 probably does have a better idea of how much use it's actually getting, and based on their focusing it to the listen/watch plus favorites i'm guessing it's not getting anywhere near the daily/hourly/by the minute use the app/touchscreens get.

End user... I strongly disagree. How would my nanny change the temp in my house? She doesn’t have a smart phone, my t-stat is deep in an AV closet, and I abandoned dedicated crappy touch screens long ago. She doesn’t speak English and all I had to do was show her the red button on the sr260 and she could use everything immediately.

Sure I can select my audio/video sources on my remotes but the “coolness” of control4 would be completely gone for me if I didn’t see it come up on my TV when I hit the red 4 button. 

Im not your ideal client. I’ve got self installed Lutron lighting, security, sonos everywhere and a ton used of gear off eBay. Control4 ties it all together and the TV GUI is my favorite part. My system isn’t designed or relies on any single brand. 

15 minutes ago, Luke said:

End user... I strongly disagree. How would my nanny change the temp in my house? She doesn’t have a smart phone, my t-stat is deep in an AV closet, and I abandoned dedicated crappy touch screens long ago. She doesn’t speak English and all I had to do was show her the red button on the sr260 and she could use everything immediately.

Sure I can select my audio/video sources on my remotes but the “coolness” of control4 would be completely gone for me if I didn’t see it come up on my TV when I hit the red 4 button. 

Im not your ideal client. I’ve got self installed Lutron lighting, security, sonos everywhere and a ton used of gear off eBay. Control4 ties it all together and the TV GUI is my favorite part. My system isn’t designed or relies on any single brand. 

Sounds like the best way to use Control4 going forward. Third-party hardware only and avoid all Control4 branded equipment outside of controllers as they are the first to be abandoned. Isn’t it funny that they support all these different equipment yet abandon their own... extinguishing customer loyalty in the process. 

No reason for Control4 to discontinue support for a fixed door station, and they should allow older controllers to be used as I am extenders. Etc. etc. Actually the processor in an HC 250 as much more capable than that in the I/O extender, yet the I/O extender continues to be supported. This is simply about money. And I will be showing them in the future that I will not buy any Control4 branded hardware  unless it is a controller

I have everything up and running except for Apple Bridge.  App won't connect to it and throws an error every time.  I've tried deleting the bridge in composer and reinstalling it, makes no difference.  app just doesn't allow it to turn on.  anybody else have it working in the 3.0 ios app? 

53 minutes ago, digitaltrader said:

Also how much processing speed can it really require to show a fixed grid on a screen. Abandoning the HC 800 as a GUI display seems like they didn’t try very hard 

It's much more of an engineering effort than "didn't try very hard".

The new OS3.0 UI is Android-based (like the EA series and T3 touchscreens), and running that on the HC800 that has never run Android (and the hardware was *not* chosen to be Android-compatible) is very much a non-trivial task.

If it were easy, Control4 could've done that when they came out with the OS2.X Android UI...

The HC series were specced and built to run dual Android / Linux.

RyanE

23 minutes ago, janthony6 said:

I have everything up and running except for Apple Bridge.  App won't connect to it and throws an error every time.  I've tried deleting the bridge in composer and reinstalling it, makes no difference.  app just doesn't allow it to turn on.  anybody else have it working in the 3.0 ios app? 

got it working.  had the old apple tv driver instead of the 4/4k driver.  

1 hour ago, RyanE said:

It's much more of an engineering effort than "didn't try very hard".

The new OS3.0 UI is Android-based (like the EA series and T3 touchscreens), and running that on the HC800 that has never run Android (and the hardware was *not* chosen to be Android-compatible) is very much a non-trivial task.

If it were easy, Control4 could've done that when they came out with the OS2.X Android UI...

The HC series were specced and built to run dual Android / Linux.

RyanE

Why does it have to run android?  There is nothing special about the GUI and it could be replicated using a compatible OS on the HC800.  Just more work.  Work most of us would love to even pay for.  While we are at it RyanE why was the doorstation made into a doorstop.  It works on the current intercom protocol.  Seems like C4 doesn’t like to support their own hardware.

7 hours ago, HRT said:

Not sure why the chest puffing was needed

Funny indeed - considering that seems to be EXACTLY what you're doing. I'm not puffing my chest, I'm letting you know where I get some of my information from.

7 hours ago, HRT said:

I was actually asking you if you had some info from Control4

You're a dealer or dealer employee right? If so you should know better than to ask that at all. Whether or not I do, it's not my place to speak of it here.

7 hours ago, HRT said:

i'm sorry I don't care about you talking with dealers/users world wide I just don't)

So you're own experience is more valid? And the number of systems you have done or how long are important?

Have a look at the top quote snippet.

Feel free to puff your chest and feel like you have the better judgement over everyone here, as well as Control4 as a company.

4 hours ago, janthony6 said:

I have it working no problem... and I didn’t do anything special.

So far I have had an unresolvable issue with my android phone applying the custom wallpaper for the rooms. I can upload the image and drag the vertical rectangle for where I want the imaged cropped for phone nav but when I apply and press the check box it zooms all the way in on the left and I cannot get it fixed. Used an iPhone and works like a champ even with the image I have already uploaded. Minor annoyance, not a big deal. Otherwise I am very happy with the new OS. The other issues I had that were easily resolved was: After the update I couldnt connect with the new app until I forced director to check in. And all my vera devices stopped working, went into the properties and all the device IDs were missing, re-entered the IP address for the hubs driver and it pulled a refresh and back up and running.

6 hours ago, Luke said:

Just a thought, either use a remote or create a 6-button tabletop controller for her.  

26 minutes ago, Thepritch88 said:

Is there a way to have multiple systems saved on the new app? Like in the old app you could choose from a list of systems you’ve connected to 

On the app go to settings and press the + icon top right to add another system.

6 hours ago, digitaltrader said:

Why does it have to run android?  There is nothing special about the GUI and it could be replicated using a compatible OS on the HC800.  Just more work.  Work most of us would love to even pay for.  While we are at it RyanE why was the doorstation made into a doorstop.  It works on the current intercom protocol.  Seems like C4 doesn’t like to support their own hardware.

Except that stuff is still supported.  Nobody is making you update, all of those products will still work, and you'll continue to receive C4 support on all of them.  I'll never understand why people would want C4 (or any manufacturer) to throw engineering resources at things like making new systems backward compatible with old hardware that isn't designed for the new systems vs working on innovation and new products.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.