C4 Forums | Control4

Composer 3.0

So as asked earlier in the thread, what are the actual upgrades other than the visual change of screens for interface?  I talked to my dealer today and he said the speed of response time is markedly improved with 3.0.  I'm curious if there are any other things as far as functionality that have been added (ie I love when Sirius XM app was added).  I know I will have to change my GE Concord security system driver unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, drmark12pa said:

So as asked earlier in the thread, what are the actual upgrades other than the visual change of screens for interface?  I talked to my dealer today and he said the speed of response time is markedly improved with 3.0.  I'm curious if there are any other things as far as functionality that have been added (ie I love when Sirius XM app was added).  I know I will have to change my GE Concord security system driver unfortunately.

These videos don't by any means capture every new feature, but they are a good starting point if you haven't already see them:

https://www.control4.com/os3/getting-the-most-out-of-os3

18 minutes ago, nebuchadnezzar said:

I do find it interesting to get announcement of merger then 3.0 drops shortly thereafter.....  

I consider early adopters to be essentially beta testers.  I don't have time for that level of pain.  

i only find it interesting because C4 used to use "events" to release updates.  CEDIA or ISE or other trade events.  So though hints on here heated up in general to have such a big announcement randomly in late May did seem unusual.  

Anyone have issues or success with OS 3 and the following drivers?

1. DSC TL280 (NEO system)

2. DoorBird Annex driver

3. Big Ass Fan Driver

4. Axxess Dimmer driver

5. Paradigm soundbars, Anthem AVM and Oppo drivers (Annex driver IP)

Thanks!

1 hour ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Jealous to hear about everyone’s challenges in OS3! I still can’t update as Domosapiens is still waiting for C4 to unblock their DSC driver... So frustrating!

And kudos to C4 and Domosapiens... for anyone else with this issue, whatever the original cause, it has now been unblocked and Domosapiens have kept me in the loop with hourly emails, so I can’t complain...

Now the upgrade has begun and I should wake up tomorrow to a new system - I hope!

As some of you have asked: a few of the 'behind the scenes' (in addition to the fantastic UI / Favorites / Backgrounds / Sliders / etc.) updates in this release include:

• LuaJIT: Drivers that support it can use the Just-in-time compiled version of Lua, which speeds up drivers (and saves CPU resources for Director)
  • Rewrite of the AV Pathing engine, which makes AV selection faster and more reliable, and handles more cases properly
  • Media Sessions, which replaces Zones, is a much richer and more standardized experience for multi-room audio and video
  • Standardization of MSP driver parsing / business rules across UIs (much less likely to find an MSP bug in *only* iOS or *only* Android, etc.)

There have been a *lot* of other internal updates / changes, but those are some of the biggest ones off the top of my head.

In summary, OS3.0 is a fantastic base for Control4 to continue to grow and innovate.

RyanE

Just now, RyanE said:

As some of you have asked: a few of the 'behind the scenes' (in addition to the fantastic UI / Favorites / Backgrounds / Sliders / etc.) updates in this release include:

• LuaJIT: Drivers that support it can use the Just-in-time compiled version of Lua, which speeds up drivers (and saves CPU resources for Director)
  • Rewrite of the AV Pathing engine, which makes AV selection faster and more reliable, and handles more cases properly
  • Media Sessions, which replaces Zones, is a much richer and more standardized experience for multi-room audio and video
  • Standardization of MSP driver parsing / business rules across UIs (much less likely to find an MSP bug in *only* iOS or *only* Android, etc.)

There have been a *lot* of other internal updates / changes, but those are some of the biggest ones off the top of my head.

In summary, OS3.0 is a fantastic base for Control4 to continue to grow and innovate.

RyanE

MQA too

6 hours ago, HRT said:

Where are you getting this info?

Where are you? Based on what you said yourself, you're limited to your own clientele. And just because you do something a certain way, that doesn't mean other work the SAME way. Or that any one way is better or not. If anything you should be aware that just because you're used to doing something a certain way, doesn't mean it's the right way - your clients more than likely depend on YOU for the most part to tell them what works or doesn't work. As such, to what degree are YOU the one causing the OSD to get such limited use in your area? It's an easy trap to fall into.

So even if it were the same for me, that's still a singular point of view on your part, based on a singular market. The numbers don't mean much as such. 100's of systems is still a drop in the bucket, and the fact that it's a single company in a single market actually makes it mean less on a global scale.

We install OSD control on over 50% of our jobs, and it's used to some capacity on all of them. And no, that's not a controller per TV. Would a good portion of those be fine without it? Sure.

However, just a few examples:

I have numerous clients that will NOT be updating right now to OS3 simply because of the loss of things like lighting control, because they are using it daily for that very purpose alone (you know, as opposed to using a magnifying glass on their iPad or T3 screen).

I have clients using the OSD to select music across the house, keeping it on the OSD to display the current song, media cover art or the photo screensaver, and the TV they use isn't by default in the room(s) they are using for sound. There's alternative ways to go around that, but they may not want to.

I have clients that can use an OSD and a remote, or a custom setup control via keypads or more advanced setups still that wouldn't have a hope of using touchscreens of any type, and no voice isn't an option either...

There's those that use OSD to display cameras watching youth in rec rooms, pools or yards to keep an eye out.

Pop-up doorstation cameras wherever you're watching TV.

Movie selection within Control4 is still easiest on the OSD

Even if the first and third example comprise a very small portion of the market and ignoring the rest, would you still think the OSD should just be dropped? I will tell you I sure don't.

The above is just based on MY experience. But no, that is not the only line of information I have. I'm in touch with dealers and users from across the world, and I'm not talking about forums and their experiences weigh in as well. More importantly, I've no doubt Control4 has their own information on top of that, and if it the use was as low as you seem to believe there's no way they'd have put the amount of effort in that they have for this new release.

13 minutes ago, RyanE said:

RyanE

All the Domosapiens drivers available on DriverCentral are now JIT-enabled to benefit from this new execution environment under OS 3.0.  Either Auto Update or download the most recent versions.

Paul Biron

1 hour ago, RyanE said:

RyanE

Great, never doubted its a good OS 😉 - Maybe you can pass that on: plz make it HTML5 for more uniformity and design options (floorpans, complex graphics !!!!) (RTI seems better here), make media management web based and add support ZigBee 3.0 devices ZLL (wouldn't mind additional charge here but the lack of ZigBee 3 seems really limiting Control4 for the future especially since they advertise over 13k+ 3rd party devices)

2 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

These videos don't by any means capture every new feature, but they are a good starting point if you haven't already see them:

https://www.control4.com/os3/getting-the-most-out-of-os3

Seems overall functionality same, just different way., a little more polished/modern GUI, and may be a little fewer button presses vs prior OS.  I'd call it a good start.

And kudos to C4 and Domosapiens... for anyone else with this issue, whatever the original cause, it has now been unblocked and Domosapiens have kept me in the loop with hourly emails, so I can’t complain...

Now the upgrade has begun and I should wake up tomorrow to a new system - I hope!

Per Drivercentral, Domosapiens has not updated their driver to work with 3.0.  I have a customer waiting on 3.0 and the security is the only driver in the way.  Did they resolve this directly?

42 minutes ago, nebuchadnezzar said:

Can anyone with a HC-800 as primary controller give their experience with 3.0?  Slower?  any bugs?  (I know OSD is disabled, never used it).

Everything appears fine.  My personal system is a 800 with EA1 for OSD.  Nothing noticeable if there is any degradation.

9 minutes ago, neil12011 said:

Per Drivercentral, Domosapiens has not updated their driver to work with 3.0.  I have a customer waiting on 3.0 and the security is the only driver in the way.  Did they resolve this directly?

It just started working (disappeared from the list of problem drivers when you try to update) about 2 hours ago... we didn’t need to do anything... my understanding is that the driver had to be (and was) unblocked on the C4 side.  Domosapiens advised me once it was working and it all worked beautifully from there.

Midnight here in SA but having had the update done, I have been testing and am massively impressed.  The new UI will take some getting used to but everything seems to work (and I have a massive project with most things in it although I have probably only tested 60% of my stuff) and everything is noticeably faster!

There seems to be only comments on the UI. What about the new features included for programming with HE?  Doesn't anybody like how a line can be edited instead of deleted and re-written?  The navigator tab now allows you to change what you can show or hide for many or all the rooms instead of one room at a time. How nice is that?

There's also a summary tab (beside properties) at the Room Level.  You can now see all your programming related to that room in one place!

6 hours ago, Drake0508 said:

I’m having the same issue. Plus the iOS app is still force closing when I try to open a camera. 

I am also having this issue when opening the Camera menu, but seems to happen less when I'm on my home network. It happens almost every time when I'm accessing remotely via 4Sight.  

Overall, I'm really enjoying 3.0 though.  

17 minutes ago, rea said:

I am also having this issue when opening the Camera menu, but seems to happen less when I'm on my home network. It happens almost every time when I'm accessing remotely via 4Sight.  

Overall, I'm really enjoying 3.0 though.  

Same here. 

1 hour ago, dcovach said:

There seems to be only comments on the UI. What about the programming with HE?  Doesn't anybody like how a line can be edited instead of deleted and re-written?  The nav changes in a single room can be applied to many or all. How nice is that?

OMFG - that alone might be enough to bite the bullet and upgrade!

Do they finally allow HE users to run Detective Suite and run reports?   

I get the feeling Paul has had a busy couple of days as have many other (I am sure!)

Yes, ever since I found this bug on Saturday.  Went back and forth with C4 during the Memorial Day weekend to try and pinpoint the issue, as it occurred only recently.  I’m glad that C4 were able to resolve this quickly, but it was very stressful to imagine all the projects running the driver not being able to upgrade !

In any case, this is now behind us and we can concentrate our efforts on all the good stuff in OS 3.0.

Sincere thanks to all for your patience and understanding.

Paul Biron

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.