C4 Forums | Control4

Composer 3.0

3 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Cause people are frugal. And want to get the most life out of their gear

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

....and there is nothing wrong with wanting that.  Don't get me wrong, most people want to get the most out of the stuff they buy, me included.  Its when useful electronic lifespan meets latest and greatest software, then something has to give.  In the case of OS 3, it's C4's right to EOL their products even if they are still useful.   Humans will always see the cynical side as forcing customers to upgrade hardware to get the latest software.   There is probably truth on each side of the legacy hardware vs latest software argument, based on what has been said in last 18 pages of this thread....  In the end, it is still a business and seems this was a business decision.  You cannot make everyone happy all the time.  That is impossible.  You also don't have to upgrade and your existing system as it will still work, until eventual hardware failure forces the upgrade on you. 

8 minutes ago, Destroyer of Worlds said:

Got Composer HE 3.0 and it's backward compatible and looks literally the same (no UI changes to Composer, sigh...when will it get out of the 90s!??!?!).

As we have a mega party going on this weekend here, I'll defer the EA5 upgrade, but my dealer says good things about it.

Backward compatible?   If true, that’s new.  Can you actually use 3.0 to edit a 2.10 system?

27 minutes ago, Destroyer of Worlds said:

Got Composer HE 3.0 and it's backward compatible and looks literally the same (no UI changes to Composer, sigh...when will it get out of the 90s!??!?!).

As we have a mega party going on this weekend here, I'll defer the EA5 upgrade, but my dealer says good things about it.

There are some changes to Composer (very nice ones).  You can edit existing lines of programming (instead of having to delete and re-create), and some other things:

8 hours ago, digitaltrader said:

Why does it have to run android?  There is nothing special about the GUI and it could be replicated using a compatible OS on the HC800.  Just more work.  Work most of us would love to even pay for.

Investing time and effort into supporting another platform just for the on-screen on the HC800 would be a fools errand.

If you want to pay for it yourself, feel free to hire a software team and go for it.

:)

RyanE

4 minutes ago, RyanE said:

Investing time and effort into supporting another platform just for the on-screen on the HC800 would be a fools errand.

If you want to pay for it yourself, feel free to hire a software team and go for it.

:)

RyanE

If the only thing that does not work on HC-800 is the OSD, then that is fine with me.  I am just thankful they did not EOL it, this round.  I don't use the OSD at all, but others do.  Ones that do will just need to change their habits of use.   IMO remotes, tablets, and phones are easier.

If the only thing that does not work on HC-800 is the OSD, then that is fine with me.  I am just thankful they did not EOL it, this round.  I don't use the OSD at all, but others do.  Ones that do will just need to change their habits of use.   IMO remotes, tablets, and phones are easier.
That is the only thing

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Luke said:

End user... I strongly disagree. How would my nanny change the temp in my house? She doesn’t have a smart phone, my t-stat is deep in an AV closet, and I abandoned dedicated crappy touch screens long ago. She doesn’t speak English and all I had to do was show her the red button on the sr260 and she could use everything immediately.

Not sure why you would not be a client of ours, we sell plenty of systems with non c4 gear and are probably 50% of our lighting systems are lutron via requests of homeowners/architects/builders.

Most of our clients in situations like your's show them how to use the remote, a touchscreen in the kitchen, or they leave an Ipad out in the main living area.

6 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Huff and Puff

hahaha, seriously. I gave contextual background in my first post we have been a dealer for pretty much the entire life cycle of control4. We have lots of systems out in the wild as I know you and many other dealers do, and we have seen many systems on take over jobs over the years. The take over jobs over time along with ours have changed in system design and moved away from the on screen GUI, and by giving background and amounts I was giving my prospective of the changing landscape. You ignored that, scoffed at it, then went on to mention why your few use cases invalidated it because you talk to other dealers and had to mention it wasn't on the forums. Cool you go to cedia etc, so do most dealers.

After you said your data collection was wide and unchangeable I included the market to let you know It is a large area with many levels of wealth, to further show its not as small as a sample size as you think it is. I said I didn't care about your talking with international dealers/users as it was a ridiculous comment you made to make your personal view more important. I think your personal view is a valid view, for you the GUI is needed on your installs. I never said I knew better than anyone, I posted my opinion on an opinion forum as a response your claim that had no backing facts/opinion or any context at all. I was asking for what you used to come to your conclusion, while giving my own opinion as that's what one does on a forum. So now I can't ask you where you get you unverified info from, but you can freely state it? Ugh, I think i'll just go back to ignoring your posts on here and the other forum as I used to.

24 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

That is the only thing

No its Not the Apple Driver for the 4K version will not work on the HC800 - I think over the coming updates this could start to happen more often with certain drivers 

3 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

No its Not the Apple Driver for the 4K version will not work on the HC800 - I think over the coming updates this could start to happen more often with certain drivers 

It's *very* unusual for a DriverWorks driver to be controller/platform-specific.  The Apple Bridge driver (and the new AppleTV drivers for the same reason) is only available on the EA series controllers due to an OS incompatibility on the HC800, which causes the HC800 to be unable to run the apple daemon, which the bridge driver uses for Apple connectivity.

RyanE

10 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

I don't use Apple products, so that does not apply in my case.  

That is not a new 3 requirement.

15 hours ago, prabeau said:

Nice not to be concerned with $
Screens have gotten cheaper have they. I won’t be upgrading from my Hc800 or my old screen. I am not mad at not having a EA and I’m not mad that I don’t own a Tesla. Would I like to have these things, sure, just out of my league
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@prabeau See, you start trying to be cute to a 17 year old, making quick assumptions and it's automatic internet fire.  So, since I'm young I have to express my emotions to a computer and to some old guy on the internet.  Where is Chris Hansen BTW?!  Apparently the truth does sting a little bit or else you wouldn't have taken the time to comment on my post.  Tesla?  Who said anything about a Tesla?  Comparing a thousand dollar Control4 Touch Screen to a potential 200K car is a little over the top, no?  Plus, you seem more like the first generation Nissan Leaf type of guy.  It's cool - Practical, kind of ugly but will do the job if needed.

@prabeau If you need someone to talk to, I know I'm young , but we can get through this together.  I got you bro!!!  I also learned the power of saving and investing at a young age.  Think I have around $1800 saved up since I started working.  Filthy Rich over here.  But, the youth of this country is only rewarded from the older generations failures.  So thanks for failing...??

Always entertaining - This is better than Twitter.  tweet tweet

CHEERS

1 minute ago, Elephant_Man said:

@prabeau See, you start trying to be cute to a 17 year old, making quick assumptions and it's automatic internet fire.  So, since I'm young I have to express my emotions to a computer and to some old guy on the internet.  Where is Chris Hansen BTW?!  Apparently the truth does sting a little bit or else you wouldn't have taken the time to comment on my post.  Tesla?  Who said anything about a Tesla?  Comparing a thousand dollar Control4 Touch Screen to a potential 200K car is a little over the top, no?  Plus, you seem more like the first generation Nissan Leaf type of guy.  It's cool - Practical, kind of ugly but will do the job if needed.

@prabeau If you need someone to talk to, I know I'm young , but we can get through this together.  I got you bro!!!  I also learned the power of saving and investing at a young age.  Think I have around $1800 saved up since I started working.  Filthy Rich over here.  But, the youth of this country is only rewarded from the older generations failures.  So thanks for failing...??

Always entertaining - This is better than Twitter.  tweet tweet

CHEERS

Related image

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.