C4 Forums | Control4

Composer 3.0

Don't know about the Varietas compatibility with 3.0

The references to the Bridge driver are for the new Apple TV 4K.  This is a requirement for the sanctioned and approved IP driver.  PITA to setup for literally zero benefit at this point.  But, time will tell if there's reasoning behind the nonsense. 

• 4 weeks later...

On 5/30/2019 at 7:49 PM, knowitall said:

This thread is amazing  

My project has been running a 250 since the license shipped with it (5/2013?) I got one of the first ones. The only time it’s been off is because I moved, power went out longer than my backup lasted, or I manually reset it. I have not had ANY other tech device longer, expect my PS3 and NES. 6 years of flawless operation, upgrades and additions (adding labor to it with IP drivers and new proxy’s) 

NEVER HICCUPED ONCE

i have no reason to get rid of my 250.  I do, however happen to have a leftover EA1 which I may upgrade to this weekend.  

Long Live C4 (and my 10” T3!)

I have not had ANY other tech device longer...”.

This is completely the wrong standard to apply to Control4 for several reasons:  1) Control 4 isn’t a tech device; it is an integral part of a home.  It controls the light switches.  Home systems are supposed to last way way more than 6 years, and be supported far longer than that.  Think of HVAC, etc.   2) I actually suspect your statement of isn’t completely true?  You have TVs that are 6 years old that are now unable to view new movies?  Or you’d be fine having a car whose electronics are no longer supported after 6 years.  Of course not.   If there are certain new features only available on new hardware, that makes sense, but deprecating hardware only 6 years old is very different.   3) Cost.  It is fine to make a $200 tech device disposable; not systems that costs tens of thousands.  Even if they choose to upgrade more often, all TVs from more than a  decade ago can still play modern content.  And that is still only a fraction of the expense of Control4.  

The simple reality is that this kind of behavior makes it impossible for me to ever willingly spend another penny with C4 nor recommend anyone else do.  

1 hour ago, Tgdc said:

I have not had ANY other tech device longer...”.

This is completely the wrong standard to apply to Control4 for several reasons:  1) Control 4 isn’t a tech device; it is an integral part of a home.  It controls the light switches.  Home systems are supposed to last way way more than 6 years, and be supported far longer than that.  Think of HVAC, etc.   2) I actually suspect your statement of isn’t completely true?  You have TVs that are 6 years old that are now unable to view new movies?  Or you’d be fine having a car whose electronics are no longer supported after 6 years.  Of course not.   If there are certain new features only available on new hardware, that makes sense, but deprecating hardware only 6 years old is very different.   3) Cost.  It is fine to make a $200 tech device disposable; not systems that costs tens of thousands.  Even if they choose to upgrade more often, all TVs from more than a  decade ago can still play modern content.  And that is still only a fraction of the expense of Control4.  

The simple reality is that this kind of behavior makes it impossible for me to ever willingly spend another penny with C4 nor recommend anyone else do.  

From my experience GMC only guaranteed 5 years of parts.  So car electronics could go and you would have issues.  Just saying....

there are also 10+ year old TVs with no hdmi.  Almost every device is hdmi only. If you have a 10 year old tv w no hdmi you probably don’t know to look for various dongles and hubs to downconvert signals and those come with their own perils

im left on the sideline with the 3.0 upgrade but it’s technology and how things evolve.  I’m not bitter.  

Oh give me a break. 

Existing systems don’t stop working when an upgrade comes out. 

Lets think of HVAC as you suggest. When trane releases a more efficient furnace, do they let you upgrade your existing one to make it the same efficiency? No.

When they come out with a WiFi smart thermostat, do they let you download an upgrade to give your thermostat the same features? No. You have to buy a new one. 

The NYC Subway system runs OS2. Yes, os2.  You think they have fomo from Windows 2016 server?  No, the system works.  It's the same thing with control4.  Control4 makes incredible reliable products but they will always release new things.  Everything won't always be backwards compatible and thats a good thing.  If everything was backwards compatible forever that would mean they aren't innovating enough.

The bitch fest this thread has become is just stupid already.

43 minutes ago, cdepaola said:

As long as my light switches/dimmers continue to work we are all good.  If I was forced to upgrade them for some reason I would no longer be a C4 user, those things are the most expensive part of the system after buying 100+.

and control4 has never done that

The NYC Subway system runs OS2. Yes, os2.  You think they have fomo from Windows 2016 server?  No, the system works.  It's the same thing with control4.  Control4 makes incredible reliable products but they will always release new things.  Everything won't always be backwards compatible and thats a good thing.  If everything was backwards compatible forever that would mean they aren't innovating enough.
The bitch fest this thread has become is just stupid already.
+1000

Those that disagree need to realign their expectations with reality. Trying to make C4 look like an outlier is a fallacy.

Sent using Tapatalk

and control4 has never done that
True, and they shouldn't.. But a doorstation is like a light switch, it is built into the house and should not go EOL / not have to be removed for OS3

4 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Disagree. Door stations are 100x more advanced then light switch

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

But they already have it working on the SIP protocol.  I can add a tablet, Grandstream phone or other 3rd party sip devices to the C4 intercom agent.  Why not one of C4 own devices that is SIP compatible? 

But they already have it working on the SIP protocol.  I can add a tablet, Grandstream phone or other 3rd party sip devices to the C4 intercom agent.  Why not one of C4 own devices that is SIP compatible? 

In addition, the engineer who designed the DS2 did not put in his concediration customers who had thier old DS back box in concrete or marble? Atleast make the DS2 fits into the old box!

19 minutes ago, Zuhair said:

In addition, the engineer who designed the DS2 did not put in his concediration customers who had thier old DS back box in concrete or marble? Atleast make the DS2 fits into the old box!

Exactly my thoughts as well.   However from the looks of it Control4 bids these types of projects out to the lowest bidder  in China. As you can see they are suffering the 25% import tax from all the cheap products they have subbed out.  I doubt they do much if any of the design internally.I doubt they do much if any of the design internally.

1 hour ago, digitaltrader said:

Exactly my thoughts as well.   However from the looks of it Control4 bids these types of projects out to the lowest bidder  in China. As you can see they are suffering the 25% import tax from all the cheap products they have subbed out.  I doubt they do much if any of the design internally.I doubt they do much if any of the design internally.

As far as I know 2n Helios is not a Chinese company.  They make the door station.  

2n is from Prague.  Purchased by Axis which is Swedish. 

3 minutes ago, C4junkie said:

(BTW there is "A Cult"?)!!

Have you read Dan Brown? 

It's just I don't recall him ever mentioning Utah....

IMO!

Enjoy your weekend! 

I really think you should start a Facebook page.  I know the majority of us do find you amusing and can empathize a little with your frustrations, but your rants would most likely be respected the most in a Facebook page.  I would be the first to join.

It just doesn't really belong here. 

2 minutes ago, C4junkie said:

No I guess not....

That's because what I say makes too much perfect sense!

(And Cults don't like that).

Cheerio Dude!

Enjoy your day!

IMO!

It doesn't seem like you really even want to be in this forum?  Not sure what your fascination is.  Your posts are repetitive like spam.  Nothing makes sense.  Why get banned again?   Why bother posting anything?  There's a wonderful Amazon forum to participate in.  Lots of high tech DIY folks over there to swap ideas with.

23 minutes ago, digitaltrader said:

Funny...the only people shoving this down end users throats are those that are selling their products.  

who is shoving anything down throats?  Are dealers force upgrading customers without consent?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.