Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 6/29/2019 at 10:02 AM, blub said:

If you believe different then please explain to me why the DS cannot work with OS3 on a technical level - I. E. Why can't it continue to provide a door bell sound and audio video under OS while it can do it with OS 2.x

That is for Control4 to answer, but YOU assume it IS possible, whereas I assume there is an issue with a few items in continued support is OS3 regarding resolution and the locked video SIP protocol hard-coded into the chip. To be clear, I'm only speculating but so are you. Reality is that the old DS was a problem child at the best of times in my experience.

While I understand that you'd be frustrated, and can sympathize with the feeling, the old DS 'died' well before OS3 IMHO - and ending support is not dissimilar to ending a horse with 4 broken legs and a broken back to boot. Sad perhaps, but the right thing to do, no matter how much it hurts the person owning it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2019 at 5:13 AM, Zuhair said:

 


This response is expected from a salesman post sales! C4 decided to purchase a door station design from a 3rd party that is not engineered for C4 and not putting in mind how will current users replace thier current DS fixed into stone/marble/concrete.

And that response if expected from someone only looking out for their own situation and not seeing the bigger picture.

You don't have to like your current situation, and nor should you have to - but it is what it is. You'll have to get over it and choose one of the options you mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cyknight said:

That is for Control4 to answer, but YOU assume it IS possible, whereas I assume there is an issue with a few items in continued support is OS3 regarding resolution and the locked video SIP protocol hard-coded into the chip. To be clear, I'm only speculating but so are you. Reality is that the old DS was a problem child at the best of times in my experience.

While I understand that you'd be frustrated, and can sympathize with the feeling, the old DS 'died' well before OS3 IMHO - and ending support is not dissimilar to ending a horse with 4 broken legs and a broken back to boot. Sad perhaps, but the right thing to do, no matter how much it hurts the person owning it.

Did it die an early death or did control4 release a faulty product that never worked properly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, digitaltrader said:

Did it die an early death or did control4 release a faulty product that never worked properly?

the DS1 worked properly for me.  They did not advertise features that did not work.  Now it was missing the ability to do other stuff that its competition in the market were able to do at the time.  but that does not mean it was faulty or never worked properly.  I had a DS1, it worked flawless and I have 4 touchscreens in my house.  I removed it because of the lack of features, not because it never worked properly.

Faulty product/never worked indicated they released something with bad firmware that never worked.  The DS1 always worked, just did not come with a ton of features.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, eggzlot said:

They did not advertise features that did not work.  Now it was missing the ability to do other stuff that its competition in the market were able to do at the time.  but that does not mean it was faulty or never worked properly

This exactly. I wish the DS had all the features of it's follow up had, but it didn't and so it got surpassed by other devices. C4 in turn reacted by bringing out an option that could do all of those features, and knock it out of the park. Instead of reinventing the wheel, they went with a very reputable company, worked with them and brought out the DS2 and DS mini.

We now have a unit that has rock solid remote AND local intercom, is able to be connected and feed a camera security system with it's camera and integrates flawlessly to Control4 for all features, not to mention has keypad, RFID and other options that can be added (well, on the DS2, not the mini).

Again, I don't LIKE that it played out the way it did, but I can't change history.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, digitaltrader said:

Did it die an early death or did control4 release a faulty product that never worked properly?

I would go faulty product- I asked my dealer to install one for me and he refused - That was 2 years before DS2 Mini came out. 

Said they was useless and waste of money 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

I would go faulty product- I asked my dealer to install one for me and he refused - That was 2 years before DS2 Mini came out. 

Said they was useless and waste of money 

Apart from your dealer's apparently poor grammar skills, even if the opinion is 'useless and a waste of money' - that still isn't a FAULTY product. I think buying a formula1 car is useless and a waste of money - but that doesn't mean it's faulty 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Apart from your dealer's apparently poor grammar skills, even if the opinion is 'useless and a waste of money' - that still isn't a FAULTY product. I think buying a formula1 car is useless and a waste of money - but that doesn't mean it's faulty 😉

I think Gary means it was an inferior (junk / useless) product. Which most (all?) would agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

I would go faulty product- I asked my dealer to install one for me and he refused - That was 2 years before DS2 Mini came out. 

Said they was useless and waste of money 

Perhaps faulty design.  But it worked.  So not a faulty product. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, eggzlot said:

Perhaps faulty design.  But it worked.  So not a faulty product. 

It never worked properly in an environment with >5 touch screens 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Apart from your dealer's apparently poor grammar skills, even if the opinion is 'useless and a waste of money' - that still isn't a FAULTY product. I think buying a formula1 car is useless and a waste of money - but that doesn't mean it's faulty 😉

It was like having a ash tray on a motor bike or a chocolate fire guard ~ 😎

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I think Gary means it was an inferior (junk / useless) product. Which most (all?) would agree.

Yes, I got what he meant, however what is said was something different. I would certainly agree it failed to live up to what users (and dealers) would have hoped it could do, but it did what it was said to be doing. I would NOT call it useless or junk, expecially if you keep in mind that it came out at a time that things like Doorbird or Ring were not mainstream items yet, but 'regular' intercoms were - which it was pitched against. And they do last, I still have a dozen or so out there that do exactly what they're supposed to do - provide the ability to see who's at the door while home, talk to them if desired, and run an announcement to let people know there's someone there.

PS those old 'regular' intercom units were often in-wall units too, with the exact same issue when replacing them, even with units by the same manufacturer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dealer (Magnolia HiFi) told me they won’t upgrade any customers to 3 as it is not ready and has too many issues. Is there an upcoming patch to fix these to get more stable soon?  I really love the concept and would love to upgrade

thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My dealer (Magnolia HiFi) told me they won’t upgrade any customers to 3 as it is not ready and has too many issues. Is there an upcoming patch to fix these to get more stable soon?  I really love the concept and would love to upgrade
thanks
Of course there will be updates, otherwise Control4 could close shop. If it fixes the issues your dealer is talking about we don't know as we don't know the issues which they are talking about and for the fact that control4 has no public bug tracker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, derickson1472 said:

My dealer (Magnolia HiFi) told me they won’t upgrade any customers to 3 as it is not ready and has too many issues. Is there an upcoming patch to fix these to get more stable soon?  I really love the concept and would love to upgrade

thanks :)

Good call - wait for 3.1 and then wait to see if the new hardware bits are worth investing too .

i guess Cedia but could be earlier depending on the new remote 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are 3 or 4 known issues...and most of them are very edge cases, most customers are fine with 3.0.  Also, like 3.0.1 is likely to come out before 3.1 waiting for 3.1 you will then make the argument wait for 3.1.1...well, no, now we should wait for 3.2....it's technology...it will have bugs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, derickson1472 said:

My dealer (Magnolia HiFi) told me they won’t upgrade any customers to 3 as it is not ready and has too many issues. Is there an upcoming patch to fix these to get more stable soon?  I really love the concept and would love to upgrade

thanks :)

I'll upgrade you if you're ready AND if you're not still under warranty or a service agreement..  I would need to be in your system to run a compatibility check.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, there is no reason to wait to upgrade unless you have incompatibility hardware (e.g. HC250) or incomparable drivers (e.g. security drivers on security proxy V1). OS3 seems to have many less bugs (well done C4) than most previous versions and, as MS said earlier, this is software... every version will have some bugs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...