C4 Forums | Control4

Composer 3.0

17 hours ago, thegreatheed said:

You can't confirm that. 

And if you actually could confirm that or not, you would be breaking the law. So, let's say you DO have an inside source. You're risking their job and/or their freedom by sharing this.

Conjecture is great. Pretending to have official word when there is no official word is not. It's pretentious and annoying, and if you're actually right, it's reckless.

Their freedom!! lol

10 hours ago, blub said:

This doesn't mean that they have to be removed from the project.
Usually if components can't be upgraded to the new major release they will stay on the old OS and will still work - I.e. connected IR buds and audio out will continue to work

HC200, 300, 500 etc cant go into 2.10.x at all and must be removed from the project so they could easily do the same with the 250 and 3.0

Not sure if this has been discussed - but why no roadmap?

1. They were hiding behind “we are a public company” for the last few years but I think even prior they did not release road maps?
  2. Another hobby of mine is photography - I know Panasonic is public company on the market and they have a roadmap for their camera body and lenses?  I know Olympus posts a roadmap (not sure of their status but fairly sure its public, etc).

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/olympus-roadmap-reveals-8-new-micro-four-thirds-lenses

https://www.panasonicff.com/panasonic-lumix-s-l-mount-full-frame-lens-roadmap-10-lenses-by-2020/

So why not a C4 roadmap - we are looking to change up the UI or looking to do XYZ.  Camera manufactures let the public (and competition) know what lenses and bodies are on their road map.  

I am not losing sleep over it, but I am just curious as to why they do not provide such a tool for both end users and dealers (their customers) so there is no veil of secrecy 

3 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

Not sure if this has been discussed - but why no roadmap?

1. They were hiding behind “we are a public company” for the last few years but I think even prior they did not release road maps?
  2. Another hobby of mine is photography - I know Panasonic is public company on the market and they have a roadmap for their camera body and lenses?  I know Olympus posts a roadmap (not sure of their status but fairly sure its public, etc).

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/olympus-roadmap-reveals-8-new-micro-four-thirds-lenses

https://www.panasonicff.com/panasonic-lumix-s-l-mount-full-frame-lens-roadmap-10-lenses-by-2020/

So why not a C4 roadmap - we are looking to change up the UI or looking to do XYZ.  Camera manufactures let the public (and competition) know what lenses and bodies are on their road map.  

I am not losing sleep over it, but I am just curious as to why they do not provide such a tool for both end users and dealers (their customers) so there is no veil of secrecy 

Agreed AMD, Nvidia, and Intel all do this as well. Maybe because they don't want people to get set on the road map and complain?

1 hour ago, Neo1738 said:

Agreed AMD, Nvidia, and Intel all do this as well. Maybe because they don't want people to get set on the road map and complain?

What happens when people do not get what they want on the Nvidia road map?  Life goes on, no?

Uh, road maps are typically shared in industries with complicated supply chains so that customers can plan their own purchasing and manufacturing accordingly.  that really doesn't exist here.  That said, the armchair lawyer opinions being shared here about trade secrets and insider trading can safely be ignored - none are even close.  Sincerely, an IP lawyer.

8 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Stock goes down

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Short term maybe - last 5 years look fine   I am sure they missed something along the way  

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/NVDA/

if it was only negatives no one would do it.  Bigger players are doing it.  And at least in camera most roadmaps have vague dates.  Just a look as to what’s going on would go a long way

8 minutes ago, wnpublic said:

Uh, road maps are typically shared in industries with complicated supply chains so that customers can plan their own purchasing and manufacturing accordingly.  that really doesn't exist here.  That said, the armchair lawyer opinions being shared here about trade secrets and insider trading can safely be ignored - none are even close.  Sincerely, an IP lawyer.

Let's say my opinion on the legal side is 100% wrong. It probably is, as I'm absolutely not a lawyer.

It's still reckless to confirm/share anything beyond rumor. If someone does have inside information, they're risking their job to tell you something they're excited about. 

I feel bad for people who paid MSRP for HC250, a few years ago, and will now find out they need to be removed from "behind the tv" and replaced (if rumor is true since Control4 doesn't preannounce, blah blah blah).  It hurts a lot less paying $75 on ebay then $599 to my dealer.

An excellent reason to not buy a replacement, fool me once....

3 minutes ago, thegreatheed said:

Let's say my opinion on the legal side is 100% wrong. It probably is, as I'm absolutely not a lawyer.

It's still reckless to confirm/share anything beyond rumor. If someone does have inside information, they're risking their job to tell you something they're excited about. 

What exciting information has been shared so far?  A new GUI?  The only information I have seen, so far, isn't very exciting. I'm assuming there will be things to get excited about, but nothing released so far is exciting. 

13 minutes ago, chesterwilson said:

I feel bad for people who paid MSRP for HC250, a few years ago, and will now find out they need to be removed from "behind the tv" and replaced.  It hurts a lot less paying $75 on ebay then $599 to my dealer.

An excellent reason to not buy a replacement, fool me once....

Nobody is being forced to update their system to a version that could possibly obsolete their controller.  I'm still a fan of the HC250.  You can still have a pretty impressive system on OS 2.91 using HC250's.  

On a side note, every time Windows announces a new version, I don't get excited....  in fact, the opposite.

7 minutes ago, chesterwilson said:

What exciting information has been shared so far?  A new GUI?  The only information I have seen, so far, isn't very exciting. I'm assuming there will be things to get excited about, but nothing released so far is exciting. 

I'm assuming the insider would be sharing the info because they're excited about it. It's probably worse if they're sharing it because they're not excited about.

Either way, you're betraying their trust.

3 minutes ago, dcovach said:

Nobody is being forced to update their system to a version that could possibly obsolete their controller.  I'm still a fan ot the HC250.  You can still have a pretty impressive system on OS 2.91 using HC250's.  

On a side note, every time Windows announces a new version, I don't get excited....  in fact, the opposite.

LOL, agree on the Windows.

Everyone updates their phone, computer, tv the second it becomes available.  It's the way technology is these days.  Sure no one is forcing 3.0 on anyone.  However, I think it says something that in 3 years your secondary equipment is no longer upgradeable.  Especially a secondary controller that is supposed to be mounted behind TV's.  I can understand if it was the main controller but it's silly that something be used for IR and Serial outputs can't be added on a 3.0 system (again assuming the rumor is true).  

33 minutes ago, thegreatheed said:

Reckless? More like DANGEROUS

7 hours ago, sonic30101 said:

HC200, 300, 500 etc cant go into 2.10.x at all and must be removed from the project so they could easily do the same with the 250 and 3.0

Or you can keep them in the system, use the driver created for the HC-300, not use them as controllers but use them as cheap relays.

I have a bunch of HC-250s and am not too keen on having to replace them.  But I mainly use them for music.  I don't care about not having  a 4K UI as I almost never use the UI on my TVs anyway - I use a phone, iPad or remote control.

Just curious. How is there going to be a 4K on-screen UI when the specs for the EA series controllers only shows supported output of 1080?

Maybe (hopefully) Control4 was sandbagging the spec and the boxes actually have the hardware to support 4K output, but if not some of the conjecture above just doesn’t make sense. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.