C4 Forums | Control4

Composer 3.0

6 hours ago, anon2828 said:

Just curious. How is there going to be a 4K on-screen UI when the specs for the EA series controllers only shows supported output of 1080?

Maybe (hopefully) Control4 was sandbagging the spec and the boxes actually have the hardware to support 4K output, but if not some of the conjecture above just doesn’t make sense. 

New hardware 

I don't disagree that new hardware would be required for the alleged 4K interface (unless the capability is hiding inside the EA controllers and Control4 just never released the spec).

That said, seems like an unusual upgrade / hardware roadmap.

If Control4 releases a new Composer / Director / Navigator that requires new hardware they would put everyone out that has HC controllers AND current EA controllers.

I'd imagine that mostly only new projects would go to the new hardware, though I am sure some of us would upgrade.  Just seems like a painful path.  Most companies (like Apple) gauge success and minimize costs by having everyone (mostly) on the same software platform.  This would seem very opposite of that idea (ideal)...

13 hours ago, anon2828 said:

Just curious. How is there going to be a 4K on-screen UI when the specs for the EA series controllers only shows supported output of 1080?

Maybe (hopefully) Control4 was sandbagging the spec and the boxes actually have the hardware to support 4K output, but if not some of the conjecture above just doesn’t make sense. 

Just get on board. All these changes are CONFIRMED.

Exactly WHY would an onscreen nav require 4K?
Just because :-)

Another reason is that if cams or intercom can be presented as 4k the GUI would need to switch resolution from keys day 1080p to 4k - if all is 4k it's smoother and 1080p intercom could just be upscaled

9 minutes ago, blub said:

Just because 🙂

Another reason is that if cams or intercom can be presented as 4k the GUI would need to switch resolution from keys day 1080p to 4k - if all is 4k it's smoother and 1080p intercom could just be upscaled

Good point 

50 minutes ago, blub said:

Just because 🙂

Very good point... my answer was cool factor, cool screen savers, works better on really big screens... none of which I particularly cared about but cameras are important!

It is interesting to note that most of C4’s own Experience Buttons have had a facelift (icon change) in the last few weeks which would make sense if a new GUI was coming out...

I have mixed views on the new icons and am struggling to see the consistency (which I would expect for a new GUI). Some observations:

1. Some have gone all grey like the abortive icons that appeared when icons could first be changed easily in a Driver (a year or so before Experience Buttons appeared on the scene) - e.g. the Countdown Timer experience button. These are OK at best.

2. Some are grey when off and have some colour when on - I really like these (examples are the flame and pump experience buttons) - I guess that the UI Experience button always was (and still is) an example of this!

3. Some are relatively garish colours all the time (examples include the sprinkler Experience button and the Irrigation program Experience button where I think the changed icon is nowhere near as nice as the previous version 😪).

1 hour ago, South Africa C4 user said:

It is interesting to note that most of C4’s own Experience Buttons have had a facelift (icon change) in the last few weeks which would make sense if a new GUI was coming out...

I have mixed views on the new icons and am struggling to see the consistency (which I would expect for a new GUI). Some observations:

1. Some have gone all grey like the abortive icons that appeared when icons could first be changed easily in a Driver (a year or so before Experience Buttons appeared on the scene) - e.g. the Countdown Timer experience button. These are OK at best.

2. Some are grey when off and have some colour when on - I really like these (examples are the flame and pump experience buttons) - I guess that the UI Experience button always was (and still is) an example of this!

3. Some are relatively garish colours all the time (examples include the sprinkler Experience button and the Irrigation program Experience button where I think the changed icon is nowhere near as nice as the previous version 😪).

icons are always around, but the experience button going from grey to green was cool 5 years ago.  Now its dated.  the UI is long overdue for a major refresh.  Circular (or linear) icons on a page to navigate just looks old.

2 hours ago, Silvaskin said:

Being new to relatively new to Control 4.  What is the typical lifecycle for Controllers.  When were latest generation HC's released as well as the EA's?  When would we expect the next generation of controllers to drop?

Last I checked c4 supports hardware longer than Apple.  A new iPhone price wise is on par with a new controller.  Stinks when you are EOL but they are fair about it 

Being new to relatively new to Control 4.  What is the typical lifecycle for Controllers.  When were latest generation HC's released as well as the EA's?  When would we expect the next generation of controllers to drop?
Since the ea series just updated to v2 versions I would guess another 1 to 2 years for a replacement of the whole lineup.
However nothing keeps Control from expanding the ea series to ea5-4k versions for extra $$$

Gesendet von meinem LYA-L29 mit Tapatalk

14 hours ago, nerddude said:

If HC250 is no longer supported.Can we still use HC250 for IR and audio zone?

You can, just in 2.10.x

If they do what people are mentioning on this post you will not be able to update the system to 3.0 while they are part of the project and you wont be able to add them back in after the update

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.