C4 Forums | Control4

Composer 3.0

9 hours ago, anon2828 said:

Would love to hear some more details on this.  Someone has to know more...

Wondering if the/any announcement is only related to software updates, or if there is pending hardware as well...

Anyone who knows is locked in a non disclosure. And they only announce when it is released for software and hardware

Confirmation of what won't work in OS3 (taken from C4 knowledgebase - if not allowed then mods please remove!)

Life Cycle Changes

To upgrade to OS 3, current control4 systems must be 2.9.0 or higher. 

1.1    Must be Removed & Requires Intervention

If the following items are in the project, the Upgrade Advisor will report them and block the upgrade. Once the offending items are addressed, Upgrade Advisor can be run again. 

• Controllers (1) - HC-250
  • Touch Screens (5) - 7" In-Wall v2, 7" Portable v2, 5" In-Wall (FKA: Infinity Edge), 7" In-Wall (FKA: Infinity Edge), 7" In-Wall RevB (FKA: Infinity Edge)
  • Door Stations (2) - Exterior Door Station, Interior Door Station
  • AV (1) – Speaker Point
  • IP Cameras that utilize the Camera proxy v1
  • WakeUp agent (the Wakeup/Goodnight agent should be used instead)
  • Security systems that utilize V1 Security Drivers
  • Blinds that utilize the Blinds v2 proxy

1.2   Limited Functionality
        If the following items are in the project, the Upgrade Advisor will not block the install but instead will provide an informational message.

• iPod proxy – Transport controls (play, skip, pause, etc) are no longer supported in graphical user interfaces for drivers that use the iPod proxy.
  • Controller (1) – HC-800 – The HC-800 is supported in OS 3. However, the Flash-based Navigator is discontinued so there is no on-screen display (OSD) for the HC-800. Within Composer, the Upgrade Advisor report will indicate that the HC-800 is supported, but it will not include the OSD. 

1.3    No Longer Supported & No Intervention Required
The following items will either be removed automatically from a project during upgrade (if they exist in a project) or no longer supported. 

• Web Nav Access (2) – WebHTML and WebNav(flashnav)
  • Apple Watch
  • MyHomePC
  • Legacy Audio
  • EADev Driver
  • Generic Media
  • MyHome Drivers – control4_ipad, control4_iphone, control4_android, control4_myhomepc – Remove automatically
  • HC Generic Driver
  • 4store Agent

5 minutes ago, Unsocialtoaster said:

Confirmation of what won't work in OS3 (taken from C4 knowledgebase - if not allowed then mods please remove!)

Life Cycle Changes

If the following items are in the project, the Upgrade Advisor will report them and block the upgrade. Once the offending items are addressed, Upgrade Advisor can be run again. 

• Touch Screens (5) - 7" In-Wall v2, 7" Portable v2, 5" In-Wall (FKA: Infinity Edge), 7" In-Wall (FKA: Infinity Edge), 7" In-Wall RevB (FKA: Infinity Edge)
  • AV (1) – Speaker Point

If the following items are in the project, the Upgrade Advisor will not block the install but instead will provide an informational message.

• iPod proxy – Transport controls (play, skip, pause, etc) are no longer supported in graphical user interfaces for drivers that use the iPod proxy.
  • Controller (1) – HC-800 – The HC-800 is supported in OS 3. However, the Flash-based Navigator is discontinued so there is no on-screen display (OSD) for the HC-800. Within Composer, the Upgrade Advisor report will indicate that the HC-800 is supported, but it will not include the OSD. 

The following items will either be removed automatically from a project during upgrade (if they exist in a project) or no longer supported. 

• Apple Watch
  • MyHomePC
  • Legacy Audio
  • EADev Driver
  • Generic Media
  • MyHome Drivers – control4_ipad, control4_iphone, control4_android, control4_myhomepc – Remove automatically
  • HC Generic Driver
  • 4store Agent

No more Apple Watch app?  Maybe native HomeKit support?  

Have to say I’m pretty satisfied with my homebridge driver.

hopefully a hardware refresh in the fall for those interested who are on older gear and need to upgrade.  I personally would not sink money into EA1/3/5 or a T3 at this point if you needed that to upgrade, I'd wait.  Those pieces are 2 years old already which means you have about 4-5 years of support left.  Wait a few months and likely you'll find some new hardware which will either make the older stuff cheaper on eBay or give you more long term use getting "the latest and greatest"

In my case I have 4 touchscreens and 2 controllers to update, that is ~$10k in updates for a new UI?  Yeah I do not see the value proposition at all. 

Just my honest $.02.  I wanted to be more excited, but no new hardware, most of my hardware is not supported and its just a UI refresh.  I'll be sitting out on OS3 for a long time, or until they add features and this whole Snap purchase gets better clarity on their long term vision and strategy.

31 minutes ago, Unsocialtoaster said:

Life Cycle Changes

• AV (1) – Speaker Point

• Apple Watch
  • MyHomePC
  • Legacy Audio
  • EADev Driver
  • Generic Media
  • HC Generic Driver
  • 4store Agent

I don't see Composer HE on this list so assuming that means we will still have that after the update...can anyone confirm this?

3 minutes ago, RyanE said:

As mentioned in a different controversial thread, there are no plans to discontinue ComposerHE in OS3.0.

RyanE

Awesome...thanks for the quick response, Ryan!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.