C4 Forums | Control4

Composer 3.0

Doesn't look as life changing as a few of the promo videos appear to say IMHO.
That's the great part about c4 if you don't want to update you don't have to! No cloud to force it on you!

I will say fav SiriusXM channels to the home screen of my bedroom is pretty sweet

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thanks.

Allowing customers more GUI customization and a new look is nice.
But I think C4 missed the opportunity to actually change important things to keep up with competitors and technology:

HTML5 instead of flash based:
This would enable Control via Web interface and would be future proof since flash is more than EOL. (MyHome Windows app sucks)

Change media management to be web based, - like Plex and Emby And finally support TV series!!!!

More customizable GUI so far that driver creators can build custom pages via HTML for floor plans (neat for alarm systems), schedules, logs and text, custom graphics for energy management tank levels etc.... possibilities here are endless..

The update of OS3 only seem to be made so that customers can change their system via the GUI and web (mycontrol4 login) without the need for Composer HE, so that there isn't any struggle between the dealers and customer in who f****** up the system/programming - nothing wrong in that per se, but again I do see it as a missed opportunity to make fundamental and necessary changes

PS: down the road I guess composer HE will be gone. The current changes hint to that

10 minutes ago, blub said:

Why not make that a feature....and talk about it.

Control4's touchscreen / onscreen UI has not been flash for literally *years*.

MyHomePC was the UI from the previous generation of Control4 UI.

Control4's UI is also not HTML5-based, it's 'native', Android-based on Control4 touchscreens and Android devices, and iOS-based on iOS devices, just like the previous generation '2.x interface'.  HTML5-based interfaces have their own unique set of challenges on top of standard UI challenges, that a native (Android/iOS) interface doesn't have.

I think Control4 has made the best decision for their UI in OS3.0.  It's fantastic.

Also, driver developers have had some limited ability to make HTML interfaces for Control4 touchscreens for some time, although it's limited to touchscreens only, not available on Android/iOS (phone/tablet) apps, and there are other limitations, in terms of having that UI integrate smoothly with Control4's native interfaces.

RyanE

They did, years ago, with OS... what was it, 2.8, on EAs and T3s.
Control4's touchscreen / onscreen UI has not been flash for literally *years*.
MyHomePC was the UI from the previous generation of Control4 UI.
Control4's UI is also not HTML5-based, it's 'native', Android-based on Control4 touchscreens and Android devices, and iOS-based on iOS devices, just like the previous generation '2.x interface'.  HTML5-based interfaces have their own unique set of challenges on top of standard UI challenges, that a native (Android/iOS) interface doesn't have.
I think Control4 has made the best decision for their UI in OS3.0.  It's fantastic.
Also, driver developers have had some limited ability to make HTML interfaces for Control4 touchscreens for some time, although it's limited to touchscreens only, not available on Android/iOS (phone/tablet) apps, and there are other limitations, in terms of having that UI integrate smoothly with Control4's native interfaces.
RyanE
I know that back then an new UI was android. However I obviously misunderstood that it is not flash based anymore - I thought it was flash on Android.

Even though Android is better than flash I nevertheless think HTML5 would be better, more flexible and can be uniformly displayed on any device - missed opportunity here and I am not saying the new UI is trash, it looks nice!

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

No Apple watch support

That is a bit of a bummer.  Know it never really worked properly to begin with, but would have thought the approach would be to fix it instead of killing it.  

Although I am sure a very small use case, having volume control via Apple Watch poolside, and also when on Peloton cycle streaming to in-room speakers was/is very nice...

7 minutes ago, anon2828 said:

That is a bit of a bummer.  Know it never really worked properly to begin with, but would have thought the approach would be to fix it instead of killing it.  

Although I am sure a very small use case, having volume control via Apple Watch poolside, and also when on Peloton cycle streaming to in-room speakers was/is very nice...

I'm sure a suitable solution is coming soon.

I know that back then an new UI was android. However I obviously misunderstood that it is not flash based anymore - I thought it was flash on Android.

Even though Android is better than flash I nevertheless think HTML5 would be better, more flexible and can be uniformly displayed on any device - missed opportunity here and I am not saying the new UI is trash, it looks nice!
There is no flash on android. Not possible

2 hours ago, Unsocialtoaster said:

Confirmation of what won't work in OS3 ...

Life Cycle Changes

Looks like I have a control4 bingo!  Ha ha ha!  🤪

while the ui customization seems nice, if that’s all that 3.0 brings for now, no hurry to upgrade for most current long time customers given the expense of new hardware and the pain of incompatibilities...

The swipe to change rooms feature works well, especially in a house with a few open floor plan rooms with different audio zones / lighting devices.  The Audio Sessions functionality (not talked about much in reviews I've read) also helps tremendously in managing multiple audio zones, much better than the former 'Audio Zones' functionality it replaced.

The Lighting filter options are also great, I've long wanted the ability to only show the lights that are currently on, when it comes to shutting down lights at night, it's quite handy.

I know I'm not exactly unbiased (as a Control4 employee), but I love the new interface, and I ended up purchasing (yes, at employee cost, so not as big a hit) 5 additional touchscreens for my house, and ended up rewriting a driver for myself that wasn't supported (due to old tunerv1 interface).

RyanE

28 minutes ago, chesterwilson said:

This is a pretty brutal update.  Losing MYHome on Mac is terrible, I use it all the time.  Having to replace in wall touchscreens isn't fun and replacing my HC-250 (Which I only use as IR extenders) is pretty tough to swallow.  

I missed the touch screen part.  Are you saying the touch screens I bought 4 years ago will not work in 3 or will the new interface just not update?

24 minutes ago, RyanE said:

The swipe to change rooms feature works well, especially in a house with a few open floor plan rooms with different audio zones / lighting devices.  The Audio Sessions functionality (not talked about much in reviews I've read) also helps tremendously in managing multiple audio zones, much better than the former 'Audio Zones' functionality it replaced.

The Lighting filter options are also great, I've long wanted the ability to only show the lights that are currently on, when it comes to shutting down lights at night, it's quite handy.

I know I'm not exactly unbiased (as a Control4 employee), but I love the new interface, and I ended up purchasing (yes, at employee cost, so not as big a hit) 5 additional touchscreens for my house, and ended up rewriting a driver for myself that wasn't supported (due to old tunerv1 interface).

RyanE

Ryan,

You say that you bought 5 new Touchscreens for yourself.  Are you able to confirm that these are T3 Touchscreens...? 

I am about to email my dealer to order one or two new pieces of hardware and the answer to this question would determine whether I do so or whether I wait...

Thanks

5 minutes ago, c4Iona said:

I missed the touch screen part.  Are you saying the touch screens I bought 4 years ago will not work in 3 or will the new interface just not update?

Touch Screens (5) - 7" In-Wall v2, 7" Portable v2, 5" In-Wall (FKA: Infinity Edge), 7" In-Wall (FKA: Infinity Edge), 7" In-Wall RevB (FKA: Infinity Edge)

I think purchasing Control4 touchscreens moving forward would be a costly mistake.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.