C4 Forums | Control4

Composer 3.0

Just now, chesterwilson said:

Touch Screens (5) - 7" In-Wall v2, 7" Portable v2, 5" In-Wall (FKA: Infinity Edge), 7" In-Wall (FKA: Infinity Edge), 7" In-Wall RevB (FKA: Infinity Edge)

I think purchasing Control4 touchscreens moving forward would be a costly mistake.

That is a bit unfair... it’s a long time since a Touchscreen went eol 

I missed the touch screen part.  Are you saying the touch screens I bought 4 years ago will not work in 3 or will the new interface just not update?
Will block the upgrade. Must be removed from the project.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

How is support handed for what I guess is "OS 2"?  any new proxy development goes to the new UI?  How much longer can a customer reasonably stay on an HC800 platform?  Could you assume any hardware that works in OS 3 would work in OS 2, you just get the older legacy UI?

If you want "OS 3" and your dealer makes the update locally for you then is it a new app to download from the App stores (iOS/Android?).  Right now my app is on auto update but should that be removed?

At this point given the current prices to upgrade an HC800 and 4 T/S I am sticking with my gear until me (or the gear) go.

6 minutes ago, chesterwilson said:

I think it's fair for Control4 to EOL a 9 year old product.  It's also fair for me to not invest in a product that costs $900 per screen plus installation cost.

Sorry about that.  It *is* a kick in the pants, but it's cost prohibitive to update the Flash UI to support new features in OS3.0, or even to update it to continue to support current features, as there have been many under-the-cover changes (Audio Sessions, Lighting scenes, lock integration, etc.).

My personal opinion (not speaking officially for Control4) is that it's likely that the Android base is likely a much longer-lived platform.  Sadly, Flash player support was basically end-of-lifed by Adobe pretty much at the same time as it was released by Control4 in working products, so the flash platforms were very short-lived for Control4, who has traditionally gone out of their way to not EOL devices that are in-wall.

Again, I apologize for the pain.  It was very unfortunate timing.

The only good news, I suppose, is that your existing hardware should continue to work in the 2.X infrastructure.

RyanE

Just now, RyanE said:

Sorry about that.  It *is* a kick in the pants, but it's cost prohibitive to update the Flash UI to support new features in OS3.0, or even to update it to continue to support current features, as there have been many under-the-cover changes (Audio Sessions, Lighting scenes, lock integration, etc.).

My personal opinion (not speaking officially for Control4) is that it's likely that the Android base is likely a much longer-lived platform.  Sadly, Flash player support was basically end-of-lifed by Adobe pretty much at the same time as it was released by Control4 in working products, so the flash platforms were very short-lived for Control4, who has traditionally gone out of their way to not EOL devices that are in-wall.

Again, I apologize for the pain.  It was very unfortunate timing.

The only good news, I suppose, is that your existing hardware should continue to work in the 2.X infrastructure.

RyanE

Technology changes quickly.  The lesson I learned is that it's best to spackle up the holes in my walls and not make the same mistake again.  

2 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

How is support handed for what I guess is "OS 2"?  any new proxy development goes to the new UI?  How much longer can a customer reasonably stay on an HC800 platform?  Could you assume any hardware that works in OS 3 would work in OS 2, you just get the older legacy UI?

Most new hardware support is being added as DriverWorks drivers.

Nearly any new DriverWorks driver should continue to work on both the 'OS 2.x' and 'OS 3.x', although there are no guarantees along those lines.

I'd guess new touchpanels / UI devices would most likely be OS 3.x only.

Proxy development is fairly slow-paced, but yes, new proxies are likely only to work on OS 3.x.

RyanE

1 minute ago, chesterwilson said:

Technology changes quickly.  The lesson I learned is that it's best to spackle up the holes in my walls and not make the same mistake again.  

and I just finished a big home renovation project where I could have easily spackled/painted etc.  My wife likes the T/S, I rarely use them, so its 100% they need to stay in my project which is why I'll sit this upgrade out for a bit.

3 minutes ago, RyanE said:

I don't suppose Control4 will continue to support 2.10.x with bug and security fixes after the announcement today?

2 minutes ago, c4Iona said:

I don't suppose Control4 will continue to support 2.10.x with bug and security fixes after the announcement today?

I can't really speak to this issue specifically, but I'd imagine if there were a serious enough security bug, it would warrant a 2.10.x update, or a patch.

RyanE

If you want "OS 3" and your dealer makes the update locally for you then is it a new app to download from the App stores (iOS/Android?).  Right now my app is on auto update but should that be removed?
At this point given the current prices to upgrade an HC800 and 4 T/S I am sticking with my gear until me (or the gear) go.
App is a whole new app. So you have to download a new app. It won't break you with an auto update

39 minutes ago, chesterwilson said:

I think purchasing Control4 touchscreens moving forward would be a costly mistake.

Control4 supported those touchscreens for 9 years of system enhancements!

No, they're not cheap, but they lasted, and they didn't loose functionality, and they still function just fine if you don't have to have the latest GUI.

A few years ago, Control4 released a driver for the Interlogix NetworX (aka NX), designed to work with the NX4, NX6, NX8, NX8v2 panels, when used with the 584 communication board (not the 587 communication board).

The NX8e panel is also supported (as it is just the NX8 with the 584 built in).

That is the recommended interface and driver to use with the GE NetworX panels, and it will work with OS3.0.

RyanE

1 minute ago, RyanE said:

A few years ago, Control4 released a driver for the Interlogix NetworX (aka NX), designed to work with the NX4, NX6, NX8, NX8v2 panels, when used with the 584 communication board (not the 587 communication board).

The NX8e panel is also supported (as it is just the NX8 with the 584 built in).

That is the recommended interface and driver to use with the GE NetworX panels, and it will work with OS3.0.

RyanE

Awesome.  Great.  So I can keep the panel just change the connection path to the C4 system.

31 minutes ago, RAV said:

Control4 supported those touchscreens for 9 years of system enhancements!

No, they're not cheap, but they lasted, and they didn't loose functionality, and they still function just fine if you don't have to have the latest GUI.

Reasonable is subjective.  To me, 9 years of support is reasonable.  To me, $7-$10k for 1-2 controllers and 4 new touchscreens to get an enhanced UI is not reasonable.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Reasonable is subjective.  To me, 9 years of support is reasonable.  To me, $7-$10k for 1-2 controllers and 4 new touchscreens to get an enhanced UI is not reasonable.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
The good news is your system will continue to work!

Just now, msgreenf said:

The good news is your system will continue to work!

i agree, I am not complaining, until they start to limit my usage (if indeed they do) down the road.  Just saying I can see why a customer with a big $$ investment in C4 may not be excited about upgrading to OS3 for a pretty UI.  A new customer getting a demo may get wow'd and for them they are buying the new tech anyways.  This new UI is better, without being hands on I cannot say its a home run, but certainly makes it closer to being on par with Savant and other more graphically modern UIs.  So should help with new sales, that is for sure.

Yes it will, because I paid for it.  How is that is good news?  I see that posted quite a bit.  
You aren't forced to upgrade. It's not like everything stops working. But at some point hardware is only so upgradable

Depends of the severity of the security issue if one arrives.

However I am pretty certain that at leat one 2.10.x release is still to come, maybe even 2.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.