C4 Forums | Control4

Composer 3.0

Reasonable is subjective.  To me, 9 years of support is reasonable.  To me, $7-$10k for 1-2 controllers and 4 new touchscreens to get an enhanced UI is not reasonable.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
True.

I would rather like that EOL would be even later.
I am not talking about new features on a new OS, just keeping the hardware within the project and the ability use it with the old feature set would be enough for me.

Our old TS, the 3.5" version from, uh like 2006 worked a heck of a long time but couldn't be upgraded beyond 2.0.4 or something like that.

But in the end Control4 needs to generate revenue and that's mostly via HW sales.
Could be different if Control4 would be subscription based though

Pretty clear 3.0 is to help dealers sell more touchscreens.

Touchscreens are cool, but their 'need' and usefulness had been waning and the old GUI handicapping.

The virtual D-tab, the media bar with icons below so you can adjust lights and stuff while watching/listening, view a camera, answer the door, will make for a better user experience.

Maybe it'll be like a pacifier to get people's heads out of their tablets when the family's watching a movie, here you drive, but down facebook.

28 minutes ago, TexasBill said:

I have one touchscreen and when it is no longer supported I will not use another one. Voice is the way I control my house. The fewer analog/physical interfaces I have the happier I am.

Bill

I wish I was there.  Too hard to remember specific phrases to do various tasks.  When it’s natural language processing I am in 100%

3 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

I wish I was there.  Too hard to remember specific phrases to do various tasks.  When it’s natural language processing I am in 100%

Do you use your phone app or do you not carry your phone with you?  I have always found it so much easier to use the phone app over the in wall or portable touchscreen.  

24 minutes ago, chesterwilson said:

Why is the HC250 no longer supported when the HC800 is?  Was it that hard to allow users to be able to use it as a slave for I/O only?  

HC250's were being sold and actively promoted less than three years ago.  It's absolutely ridiculous that they couldn't find a way to support this in 3.0.  

35 minutes ago, chesterwilson said:

Why is the HC250 no longer supported when the HC800 is?  Was it that hard to allow users to be able to use it as a slave for I/O only?  

Probably, or they like would have preferred to do the same as they are doing with the HC800. Oh I'm sure some will yell that it's a money grab, but I sincerely doubt that's true. There's something there preventing it directly (storage capacity for example) or indirectly like the cost of making it work (not just for the initial release but any following updates) -which could well be tremendous- didn't outweigh the inevitable lash-back.

I don't claim to know the reasoning as such - but there's ALWAYS people complaining when something gets dropped (including myself I should add).

1 minute ago, Cyknight said:

Probably, or they like would have preferred to do the same as they are doing with the HC800. Oh I'm sure some will yell that it's a money grab, but I sincerely doubt that's true. There's something there preventing it directly (storage capacity for example) or indirectly like the cost of making it work (not just for the initial release but any following updates) -which could well be tremendous- didn't outweigh the inevitable lash-back.

I don't claim to know the reasoning as such - but there's ALWAYS people complaining when something gets dropped (including myself I should add).

Yes it does seem like a money grab, unless they explain otherwise.  They were actively selling this unit less than 3 years ago.  

26 minutes ago, chesterwilson said:

Yes it does seem like a money grab, unless they explain otherwise.  They were actively selling this unit less than 3 years ago.  

Yes they were actively selling tech from 2012 3 years ago, when it was already 4 years old. 

Get your pitchforks! Storm the castle!

2 hours ago, chesterwilson said:

Do you use your phone app or do you not carry your phone with you?  I have always found it so much easier to use the phone app over the in wall or portable touchscreen.  

Phone.  Touchscreen or keypad buttons.  Different areas have different needs.  Voice is my last option.  I printed the report on how to use the c4 Alexa skills. My wife and I looked and laughed.  We are young but still couldn’t commit exact commands to memory.  Always flubbed it. Hvac would be the biggest use but by the time I figure it out I can just pull out a phone 

9 minutes ago, chesterwilson said:

Since Speaker Points aren't supported in 3.0, what is the alternative?  Triad One?

Yes, the 'Advanced Audio' (OS 2.10+/3.0) version of the SpeakerPoint is the Triad One.

Much better audio quality and better power output as well.

RyanE

I’ve got an hc250 with just 1 relay (garage door) and 1 serial (alarm) connected, it’s stashed in a garage closet with decent climate control. As I understand it I have to remove the controller to do the upgrade. What would y’all recommend I do to get those two things into my project? 

Ive got an EA3 but running wires over to it would suck real, real bad. I guess I could buy an EA1 for my rack and stick the ea3 in the garage closet, but this seems like a huge waste. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help! 

2 hours ago, Luke said:

I’ve got an hc250 with just 1 relay (garage door) and 1 serial (alarm) connected, it’s stashed in a garage closet with decent climate control. As I understand it I have to remove the controller to do the upgrade. What would y’all recommend I do to get those two things into my project? 

Ive got an EA3 but running wires over to it would suck real, real bad. I guess I could buy an EA1 for my rack and stick the ea3 in the garage closet, but this seems like a huge waste. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help! 

Probably the least expensive way would be to get a Global Cache GC-100-16:

https://www.amazon.com/Global-Cache-Home-Network-Adapter/dp/B0006I3BA2

There is a free driver for Control4 in the online database to control the ports and IO of the GC-100.

RyanE

It would be Great if Control4 could now confirm the New Hardware they have in the pipeline.

So we could take a look and budget for any upgrading.

The last thing anyone wishes to do now is to update a bunch of touchscreens only to find out a new

touchscreen comes out in September (with voice control) - If that rumour is True  

59 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

It would be Great if Control4 could now confirm the New Hardware they have in the pipeline.

So we could take a look and budget for any upgrading.

The last thing anyone wishes to do now is to update a bunch of touchscreens only to find out a new

touchscreen comes out in September (with voice control) - If that rumour is True  

But they will never do that, they can not afforded people stop buying hardware just because there is a refresh cycle at the door! It’s left to our discretion ...

18 hours ago, eggzlot said:

hopefully a hardware refresh in the fall for those interested who are on older gear and need to upgrade.  I personally would not sink money into EA1/3/5 or a T3 at this point if you needed that to upgrade, I'd wait.  Those pieces are 2 years old already which means you have about 4-5 years of support left.  Wait a few months and likely you'll find some new hardware which will either make the older stuff cheaper on eBay or give you more long term use getting "the latest and greatest"

In my case I have 4 touchscreens and 2 controllers to update, that is ~$10k in updates for a new UI?  Yeah I do not see the value proposition at all. 

Just my honest $.02.  I wanted to be more excited, but no new hardware, most of my hardware is not supported and its just a UI refresh.  I'll be sitting out on OS3 for a long time, or until they add features and this whole Snap purchase gets better clarity on their long term vision and strategy.

Same here, Installed C4 in 2012 when I retired. ( = fixed income ) I knew this would get ahead of me, just didn't think it would be so soon. Guess I better start looking at old folk homes.😁

14 hours ago, msgreenf said:

You aren't forced to upgrade. It's not like everything stops working. But at some point hardware is only so upgradable

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

True it's just if one looks down the road, considering the speed of change you start to see the end of that road. Loss of support, access etc etc. If $$ is no issue then no problem.

Will enjoy the remainder of the ride, been great so far. 

Cheers

However reading this forum will slowly become irrelevant.

4 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Just been speaking to my dealer about updating the HC800 - Wishing to have my camera pop up on the TV. 

He just advised that only 720p setting can pop up - Not even 1080 in OS3 

Is this True ?

I can confirm that still only have 720p for camera`s on the TV in OS3

My dealer is contacting Control4 to confirm this correct

Shame

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.