C4 Forums | Control4

Is the IR out on EA1 stereo or mono?

It is mono, if the hdbaset is stereo it may have came with an adapter. If not you will probably have to use a stereo cable and splice the tip of the ea side to the ring of the extender kit because the extender is usually tip-5volt, ring-signal, sleeve-ground. And the mono is tip-signal and sleeve-ground

They are quite often different voltage too. Blustream who we use for almost all our HDBaseT matrices have a stereo 12V IR input jack. Very thoughtfully they come included with 4x IRCAAB cables, as list in link below, which covert the 5V mono to 12V stereo in order to work with the IR inputs on the matrix. HDAnyhwere is the sam and I have used several of the spare IRCAB cables on other take-over jobs involving HDAnywhere matrices and they work perfectly on them too.

https://www.blustream.co.uk/hmxl44cskit

I have quite a few of these spare, I can send one to you to try out and if it works I can arrange to order and supply more to you.

On 5/19/2019 at 10:10 AM, elee532 said:

Interesting. Thanks @chopedogg88. I'm definitely confused now though. 😀 @sonic30101 says the IR outputs on the EA1 are mono. You're saying that a 3.5mm stereo cable from the EA1 to the a HDbaseT transmitter should still work though?

Thanks!

Why wouldn't a stereo cable work for a mono connector?  With mono you just need the tip and sleeve connections, not the ring.  Every cable, whether mono, stereo, or stereo+mic, has a tip and sleeve.  The ring, or multiple rings, on a connector should not prevent the tip and sleeve from connecting.

image.jpeg.d25f90587ec8ea0716cefda9d273a26b.jpeg

On some hdbaset kits the pinout is below and needs to be crossed over to be properly connected. Others are tip and sleeve and work with a regular stereo cable

Tip-5volt constant to power a repeater

Ring-signal

Sleeve-ground

On a c4 controller

Tip-signal

Sleeve- ground

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/20/2019 at 2:02 PM, Crustyloafer said:

They are quite often different voltage too. Blustream who we use for almost all our HDBaseT matrices have a stereo 12V IR input jack. Very thoughtfully they come included with 4x IRCAAB cables, as list in link below, which covert the 5V mono to 12V stereo in order to work with the IR inputs on the matrix. HDAnyhwere is the sam and I have used several of the spare IRCAB cables on other take-over jobs involving HDAnywhere matrices and they work perfectly on them too.

https://www.blustream.co.uk/hmxl44cskit

I have quite a few of these spare, I can send one to you to try out and if it works I can arrange to order and supply more to you.

@Crustyloafer, can I buy one of these cables from you?

Everything else has failed. I tried the stereo cable that @chopedogg88 recommended above. I tried a Mono to Stereo adapter plugged into the C4. I tried a Stereo to Mono adapter plugged into the HDbaseT device. Nothing worked.

Thanks!

10 hours ago, elee532 said:

@Crustyloafer, can I buy one of these cables from you?

Everything else has failed. I tried the stereo cable that @chopedogg88 recommended above. I tried a Mono to Stereo adapter plugged into the C4. I tried a Stereo to Mono adapter plugged into the HDbaseT device. Nothing worked.

Thanks!

Sure, send me a PM with your name, address contact details etc. and I'll send one across to you. I'm on holiday jut now and not back until Saturday but will send one to you then if I can' get one of my colleagues to send one sooner.

• 1 month later...

Well, I have seemingly tried everything, and I can't get IR signal to send over my HDBaseT extender. Stereo cable. Mono cable. Mono to stereo and stereo to mono adapters. 5V mono to 12V stereo cable. 

Am I missing something? Anything else I might try?

Have you taken a stereo cable from the controller into the transmitter but cut it open and spliced the wire that corresponds to the tip of the controller side to the ring of the transmitter side leaving the tip of the transmitter side capped off? Many of the extender kits I have seen have a constant 5v on the tip side of the extender which is for powering an IR repeater eye and causes issues because the signal input is on the ring terminal not the tip coming from a control system.

If you dont have a way to testing continuity split the wire open. cut the red and the white (sometimes black). leave the ground connected. Splice the white of 1 side to the red of the other. cap of the unused ends to avoid a short. Plug the side with the red into the transmitter then the white to the c4 controller to cross the pins to the corresponding terminals

I have not tried this. I'm a little intimidated by the idea, but I'll give it a try this weekend. 🙂

One thig I want to clarify... you're talking about doing this to the cable that runs from the EA1 to the HDBaseT transmitter IR input?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
On 8/10/2019 at 12:18 PM, sonic30101 said:

Have you taken a stereo cable from the controller into the transmitter but cut it open and spliced the wire that corresponds to the tip of the controller side to the ring of the transmitter side leaving the tip of the transmitter side capped off? Many of the extender kits I have seen have a constant 5v on the tip side of the extender which is for powering an IR repeater eye and causes issues because the signal input is on the ring terminal not the tip coming from a control system.

If you dont have a way to testing continuity split the wire open. cut the red and the white (sometimes black). leave the ground connected. Splice the white of 1 side to the red of the other. cap of the unused ends to avoid a short. Plug the side with the red into the transmitter then the white to the c4 controller to cross the pins to the corresponding terminals

Hi @sonic30101. I finally got around to trying this cable splicing idea as you suggested. I took a stereo cable, spliced red on one side to white on the other, kept the yellow together, and left the other red and white capped, and plugged the red side into the transmitter and white side into the C4. Unfortunately, no luck. 

Any other thoughts?

I guess I'm going to have to give up on the HDBaseT matrix and just bite the bullet and run another HDMI cable from the AVR to the projector. 

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd try and see if any of you have a suggestion. In the past, I never had any luck with a stereo 1/8" patch cable and the only way I was able to pass the IR from the C4 controller to an HDBaseT sender (using the Accell units - https://www.amazon.com/Accell-E090C-003B-UltraCat-Single-Extender/dp/B0058M3RW8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8) was to attach an emitter to the EA5 output and then attach an IR receiver to the HDBaseT sender.  I tape the two together and it has worked reliably but always to be a hack.

I am updating some things in my rack and thought it would be nice to clean those up but I haven't been able to figure out a way to from the C4 mono IR output to what I assume is a stereo IR input on the Accell units. I've tried a mono to stereo adapter and a binary 12V adapter that says it "removes 12VDC for IR connection to control system" with no luck.

Any ideas?

You might test the IR input jack with a stereo cable and a multimeter to figure out which parts are + and - voltage, then use the - and the other one for the IR input direct. Since it includes a receiver they could have done anything, and it may not even be a 12v IR system.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.