C4 Forums | Control4

I need a Control 4 solution to this timer

RussellB

Question

Hi all,

I have this controlling the outdoor landscape lights:

3419_08d95d50a11068680995f5a6084a4d8d413

Since it doesn't adjust for seasons for daylight savings I'm looking for a Control 4 solution.

Can anyone recommend what I could swap it out for?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe <-- thanks in advance

Russ

15 answers to this question

11 hours ago, sonic30101 said:

We usually install zigbee switches in line intercepting the power going to the landscape transformer. Ideally inside but have installed them in plastic outdoor boxes if coverage is strong enough then the situation required it

this seems like the best option.

I’m using a Kasa and the Chowmain driver for my outdoor lights. Works great, though it is only limited to 15a. 

Is the switching going to be done in the same location as you Control4 controller (equipment room)?

If the loads are pulled centrally you could always use a din module. Kind of overkill for two loads though. I'm not sure if that's what you meant by "Control4 device that isn't a switch". You say you want something in the equipment room but that isn't possible if all of the loads are in that box.. Unless you either run data/control to that box or rewire HV, have decent wireless coverage at the location (zigbee or 802.11), or if by some chance the loads wires do in fact come back or used to at some point. 

It depends on a lot of factors. That timer looks like it controls 2 loads. Assuming they're all just basic light loads/you're on a budget/have good wireless or zigbee, and that box is weatherproof (doubt it), use a switch or a few switches in the box. Another alternative is run some low voltage control wires over to location and use that to control a relay(s). You could even do something like use a z2io indoors near the wall where you have good zigbee coverage and use that as the starting point for your control wire/relay(s). Nothing will be as good as a completely hardwired setup of course. Central module with loads running out from a din module etc. 

Sonoff makes multiple output wifi relays, but unless you're willing to do some Linux stuff and setup Tasmota/ESP and run mqtt that isn't a very good option. You can pretty easily use the Sonoff switches if you have chowmain's driver (and also generic lighting driver), but that wouldn't be as stable and it would rely on Chinese infrastructure/cloud servers out of the box. 

For my exterior landscape lighting I used a c4 outlet switch and did programming based on time.  Then had binding so the another switch could control them from the living room. The other option would be a on/off switch if you want it hard wired. 

https://www.control4.com/docs/product/wireless-outlet-dimmer/data-sheet/english/latest/wireless-outlet-dimmer-data-sheet-rev-b.pdf

I use a Z2IO - Relay 1 for the back garden, and Relay 2 for the front.  This works fine for low voltage landscape lights, but be careful of the total load.  LED obviously better than incandescent on that basis.  Z2IO can be powered by 12-24v AC or DC, so you can use the existing transformer to power it.  Bang for buck, I've come to the conclusion that the Z2IO is the best value C4 hardware out there.  Fireplaces, outdoor lights, a stray IR emitter here and there - Z2IO every time.

I did previously use an outlet switch, but that meant that all my landscape lights were effectively on the same zone.  We like to turn the back off at night but leave the front garden on, which the Z2IO works perfectly for even tho' all lights are powered by the same 12v AC transformer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.